Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you are ok with protest at public events you paid to attend?
Let me rephrase this. It matters none what you or I think. People can protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
I believe it is not people are concerned by those who take a knee during a time honored tradition of standing for the national anthem. Their taking a knee is a sign of disrespect and they are doing it to push a political agenda which is the wrong time and place to do so.
-tradition means nothing.
-disrespect means nothing when we're talking about peacefully exercising your rights and your not stopping anyone else from doing the "jingoistic ritual" (as another poster put it perfectly). People are literally taking a knee and quietly letting you do your little thing. All you have to do is ignore it and go on about your life. Nobody is interrupting the song or "tradition" while it's happening. People are like "i'll just kneel down and be quiet". Get over yourself.
-according to people like you there's never a good time to protest. There's also never a proper way to protest. You don't want people blocking traffic and marching down the street, you don't want them to be perfectly still and quiet. Sounds like you have a problem with something else. And by the way, nobody has to seek your approval to exercise their right to peacefully protest.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats actually a good thing imo, I dont think the founding fathers would be too happy to see so many people today just blindly obeying a tyrannical govt. Its one thing to be patriotic for ones country, but its another thing entirely when majority of the population has been duped into accepting tyranny to the degree the US people have.

So maybe taking a knee during the anthem is the appropriate thing to do, it shows you are still patriotic and proud of the principles the US was founded on, but not the current form of Govt we have right now.
Our founding fathers were clear on the matter of free speech, standing up to tyranny, etc.

Hard to imagine that Ben Franklin would go along with what is happening now.

"It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins.” Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins. Republics...derive their strength and vigor from a popular examination into the action of the magistrates." Benjamin Franklin

And my favorite:

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-22-2017, 01:15 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
[quote=shorman;4959847]

Quote:
Playing the national anthem at sporting events serves no useful purpose and it should be eliminated.
Well playing sporting events serves no useful purpose either, neither is having an alma mater, wedding vows or taking an oath in court. should we eliminate all things that have no useful purpose?

Quote:
What is does allow is lots of ritualistic jingoism to be shown off in public. You can see it in some of these posts, the anthem gives certain people a chance to pound their chests like nationalistic silverbacks.
LOL. Thats pretty extreme. Really, voluntary standing and singing of the national anthem at a ball game as has been tradition for almost 100 years is on the same level as aggressive nationalism and foreign policy?

Quote:
And lets face the facts, the Star Spangled Banner sucks. It is a horrible song and should have been replaced long ago with something else. The contrast is stark during an event like the Olympics, other countries have anthems that are amazing pieces of music and works of art, the Star Spangled Banner is nothing more than a crude, artless drinking song more suited for a group of drunks at a bar than an official representation of our nation.
Why does it suck? Why is it a horrible song? Do you people ever read?
Why are people hellbent on changing and wiping out our history?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Let me rephrase this. It matters none what you or I think. People can protest.
Obviously, but this is a discussion board, no. And by supporting Colins protest at the 2016 game you are or appear to be of the mind that it is socially ok for anyone to protest anywhere anytime they like.
So in as far as this thread is concerned it does matter what you or I think.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Why are people hellbent on changing and wiping out our history?
Who is "wiping out history?"

The Star Spangled Banner will still be our national anthem whether we sing it every time a team comes on the field or not.

The Civil War will still be part of our history, whether we have statues honoring those traitors or not.

Do you ever think?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:37 PM

[quote=8won6;49598963]
Quote:
-tradition means nothing.
Not to you perhaps but to many. We as a people have been following traditions since about forever.
Quote:
-disrespect means nothing when we're talking about peacefully exercising your rights and your not stopping anyone else from doing the "jingoistic ritual" (as another poster put it perfectly).
Is that the word of the day "Jingoism". Jingoism:Jingoism is nationalism in the form of aggressive foreign policy, such as a country's advocacy for the use of threats or actual force, as opposed to peaceful relations, in efforts to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests.[1] Colloquially, jingoism is excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others — an extreme type of nationalism.
Now how does that apply to observing a 100 year old tradition?

Quote:
People are literally taking a knee and quietly letting you do your little thing. All you have to do is ignore it and go on about your life. Nobody is interrupting the song or "tradition" while it's happening. People are like "i'll just kneel down and be quiet". Get over yourself.
It is being done as a protest so yes when people choose to protest their political agenda while others are engaged in the activity they paid to attend, they take notice.

Quote:
-according to people like you there's never a good time to protest. There's also never a proper way to protest. You don't want people blocking traffic and marching down the street, you don't want them to be perfectly still and quiet. Sounds like you have a problem with something else. And by the way, nobody has to seek your approval to exercise their right to peacefully protest.
Sure there is a good time to protest. I have nothing against peaceful protests, its something that living in a free country allows for. We have regulations for that though, one picks a spot and gets a permit to protest there at some particular time. We have regulation so that in protesting you are not putting others in harms way or interrupting others business, so no we dont want people blocking traffic or marching down highways.
This thread isnt about protest it was about wanting to stop the long standing tradition of standing for the national anthem at ball games and I'm not asking for anyone to seek my approval. I'm asking to mind your own business, if you dont want to stand, dont but leave everyone else alone.Aall you have to do is ignore it and go on about your life, no one is interrupting whatever it is your doing.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:44 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
[quote=2mares;49599244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Not to you perhaps but to many. We as a people have been following traditions since about forever.
Is that the word of the day "Jingoism". Jingoism:Jingoism is nationalism in the form of aggressive foreign policy, such as a country's advocacy for the use of threats or actual force, as opposed to peaceful relations, in efforts to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests.[1] Colloquially, jingoism is excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others — an extreme type of nationalism.
Now how does that apply to observing a 100 year old tradition?

It is being done as a protest so yes when people choose to protest their political agenda while others are engaged in the activity they paid to attend, they take notice.

Sure there is a good time to protest. I have nothing against peaceful protests, its something that living in a free country allows for. We have regulations for that though, one picks a spot and gets a permit to protest there at some particular time. We have regulation so that in protesting you are not putting others in harms way or interrupting others business, so no we dont want people blocking traffic or marching down highways.
This thread isnt about protest it was about wanting to stop the long standing tradition of standing for the national anthem at ball games and I'm not asking for anyone to seek my approval. I'm asking to mind your own business, if you dont want to stand, dont but leave everyone else alone.Aall you have to do is ignore it and go on about your life, no one is interrupting whatever it is your doing.
-again, tradition means nothing.
-You're trying to go on a tangent about the semantics of Jingoism. Nice try. Didn't address the point of what I said.
-peacefully and quietly kneeling and letting you sing your song is the perfect protest. It's not disrupting a thing. You're supposed to be focused on the flag and picturing a bald eagle soaring, right? Why are you looking around doing a patriot audit? You're more concerned that people are fully compliant to your way or life. Think about that.
-"I have nothing against peaceful protests"....yes you do. Clearly.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who is "wiping out history?"

The Star Spangled Banner will still be our national anthem whether we sing it every time a team comes on the field or not.

The Civil War will still be part of our history, whether we have statues honoring those traitors or not.

Do you ever think?
The poster suggested changing the national anthem. That is changing history. Which is obviously in danger anyway as many dont have a clue the history behind it.

When we remove monuments, change names of buildings, streets, holidays, etc. we are erasing bits of our history from the memories of generations.

George orwell said it best:

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

George Orwell,

Old 09-22-2017, 02:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Obviously, but this is a discussion board, no. And by supporting Colins protest at the 2016 game you are or appear to be of the mind that it is socially ok for anyone to protest anywhere anytime they like.
So in as far as this thread is concerned it does matter what you or I think.
I said what I thought. People do this a lot. Someone asks a question and after answering it, if it's an answer they do not like they keep on asking it.

Protest away. I don't care where you are and it's irrelevant even if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies