Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 01:11 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times

Advertisements

I never saw the point but don't think anyone should take issue with it either. It may be the only dose of patriotism some people ever experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've been to European soccer games. Unless they are playing a team from another country, I don't recall anyone singing a national anthem.
My hockeyteam in Sweden always open the game with the national anthem and have always done so as far as I know.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
[quote=8won6;49600310]
Quote:
-bringing up the definition of a word=trying to waste time arguing semantics and not addressing a point.
No. Pointing out that you obviously dont know the definition of the words you use. Talk about fake outrage when you compare a 100 year old tradition of standing for the national anthem with aggressive nationalism involving a foreign entity. Someone should call this out. Its like comparing a moment of silence for voluntary prayer or reflection with the Christian crusades.

Quote:
-You obviously give a flip. Again, nobody is stopping you from doing your ritual. People are literally being still and quiet and letting you patriot-away. Why is it such a hard concept for you to grasp that can simply ignore people and go on with this "tradition" that you care so much about.
The title of this thread is : The national anthem should stop being played at sporting events. So yes the topic suggest someone is trying to stop me even if its just in theory. This has nothing to do with people being still and quiet. It is suggesting people stop playing the national anthem at ball games.
Quote:
-Nobody is stopping you from doing any of the things you claim you paid for. Nobody is exposing you to an agenda, they are literally providing you with out of side, out of mind. Nobody is jumping in your face questioning your ritual. You can carry on. You'll be right there doing the same as the other +90% of people still doing the ritual. Why would you be focused on the few people that quietly chosen not to participate in that part.
If you talking about kaepernick and his followers the issue is he was making some sort of political statement by doing what he did. It was not just him quietly opting out of standing for the anthem. Sorry but I dont support people using such venues to protest or spread their personal agenda be it a ball game, church, school, festival, concert what have you. If I want to be exposed to that I will attend a political rally, read your blog, listen to you on the radio or watch you on a TV program for political views. But this is a separate issue.

Quote:
-also I highlighted what I think is part of the issue..."I" and "I want"...if people are quietly and peacefully exercising their right to protest, who cares what you want? How about you respect their rights and go on with your life?

Your not even understanding the issue here. Calm down there is no outrage.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
For the people who ridicule Colin Kapernick and other NFL players for kneeling or sitting during the national anthem, what are your thoughts on what Tommy Smith and John Carlos did during the olympics?
Well I was too young at the time to understand or care but its the same principle IMO. These events are not the time for personal agendas.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:39 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
If you hate living in the country that you're in, why don't you leave and find another country you'll be happier in?
If you hate that people have the right to protest, maybe the US isn't for you?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:39 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,938 times
Is there a law that the NA must be played at most or all sporting events in the USA?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Sadly, I think I agree with stopping it.
Democrats have now made it trendy to hate America -- let's not give them anymore fuel for their anarchy, divisiveness, and disrespect for our country.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Sadly, I think I agree with stopping it.
Democrats have now made it trendy to hate America -- let's not give them anymore fuel for their anarchy, divisiveness, and disrespect for our country.
Naw they don't America, just conservatives who want to change it to either follow the bible or have forced patriotism like NK.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
NFL players weren't on the field for the anthem until 2009. The DOD paid 53 million to promote the military.

DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes, report says | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
I must be in the minority on this one....

I dont personally see sitting, kneeling during an anthem is disrespectful. People want to stand or sit, it doesnt bother me and I dont feel it means they like or dislike a country because of it. To each his own. But I dont feel sitting is disrespectful. Now to me showing disrespect to any music played is for you to be chatting on the phone or disturbing others during any music played. Sitting quietly doesnt do that and to me doesnt show disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies