Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

Just because it doesn't mean anything to those who have no respect for the flag or country does not mean it means nothing to everyone else:

Coach Brings Veterans Onto Court, Teaches Players To Honor National Anthem | HuffPost

Quote:
One coach taught his players a lesson that’s worth more than any championship.

Buzz Williams, the Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach, brought a group of veterans onto the court to show his team the importance of respecting the National Anthem and showing appreciation for those who have served our country...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWRJvl2TkNk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 07:48 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
The only sporting events I ever go to are MLB games. The Anthem is a part of it. I love it when we stand and put our hands over our hearts. Then it is time to "play ball!". It just wouldn't be the same, at least not for me. Let me tell you a story. The best game I ever attended was a Dodgers v. Diamondbacks game at Dodger stadium a few weeks after 9/11. We were way behind and it was a hot afternoon game. We thought we'd just leave early. I was in the ladies' room and the game is broadcast in there. I realized our best guys were coming up to bat. So we stayed. And, run by run (no big grand slams or anything), we caught up. Then we tied. When that winning run crossed home plate the stadium erupted! Perfect strangers hugged each other; we had tears in our eyes. Yes, it was a very emotional time in the US and for us this game was another way of bringing us together. See, that's one of the things that I love about this county. And why I'm insulted by the kneelers, and why I think the Anthem should continue.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just to note......we have always stopped serving people during the playing of the national anthem in the concession stand I work at.

NFL? I have no idea as I've not been to a game since well before they were paid to show their patriotism.
I've never noticed before if when I have been at a stadium/rink/etc. if they had stopped. They should.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but do any of you who support kneeling during the National Anthem actually know why we have that ceremony before a sporting event?

The National Anthem is a battle song, that is sang to pay respect to our current and past servicemen and women and to take just a few moments to show gratitude for the sacrifices they have made for us. It has nothing to do with the President or the government.

To willingly kneel during a ceremony where these people are being honored is disgraceful. I get that people want to protest (because it's the "IN" thing right now) and there is a time and a place for it. This particular ceremony is NOT it. Even performers from OTHER countries stop and pay respect to our National Anthem. Hussein Bolt actually stopped an interviewer so that he could pay his respects.

Years ago people wouldn't dream of doing such a disrespectful thing because of the backlash that they would receive from other Americans who considered this to be a dishonorable thing to do. Even during the Vietnam War protests, people still stood for the National Anthem.

By kneeling, you are not protesting a wrong doing by the government or an individual, you are protesting the tradition of honoring those who have died for us, and for those who either retired from service or are still serving. These people wake up every morning knowing that they could be called to arms to die for every one of us at a moment's notice. And every one of them dutifully accept that decision for the greater good of the country. Regardless of that, some still choose to spit in their face with this kneeling. And while they are wiping the spit away they would still die for every one of us if called upon.

In today's society, we are so divided and in most cases it seems to be because there is nothing else to do but fight amongst ourselves. People want to blame others for their own personal shortcomings, want to look for any iota of an opportunity to be in the spotlight for a few minutes regardless of whether the publicity is good or bad. They just want to be heard, and in most cases don't really even know what their message should be.

It's truly pathetic. Be an American as so many have fought so hard for your right to be, or get out. It's not much more difficult than that.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Awesome post. I'm glad there are people like us who can appreciate the moment, not whine and moan about it like spoiled pansies.
Why can't people understand that everyone is different and see's things in a different light. Just because you stand and listen to the anthem doesn't make you patriotic.

People have different experiences in life. If your an older black WW2 vet who was discriminated against then you will see the flag differently then a foreigner getting a U.S. citizenship. Your experiences in life will determine how you see the flag and view the anthem.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
[quote=ma5cmpb;49657610]
Quote:
Why can't people understand that everyone is different and see's things in a different light. Just because you stand and listen to the anthem doesn't make you patriotic.
If you see it differently, then just dont stand or sing if you feel that strongly against the moment. Why the need to prevent others from appreciating their country and those who fought for it.

Quote:
People have different experiences in life. If your an older black WW2 vet who was discriminated against then you will see the flag differently then a foreigner getting a U.S. citizenship. Your experiences in life will determine how you see the flag and view the anthem.
Yep the majority of us have throughout our life undoubtedly encountered levels of discrimination, unfairness and hardships. Most of us are not under the delusion that our country (nor its military) promised or owes us individually guaranteed exemption from these things.
The oldest WWII vet, Richard Overton (a black man) was honored during half time at a NBA game this year. I dont know how he feels about the NA, but I know he didn't protest it.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post

Yes everyone sees things differently. However, paying respect to the people who fought for the country that you choose to live in should not be something that any American sees differently. If you do, you shouldn't be here. Listening to the anthem isn't supposed to make you patriotic. It should give you reason to pay respect for a few minutes though. I don't see how that is asking for too much.

It's amazing how many people who were born here and given many more freedoms than others have will squander those away by constantly asking for more or complaining about something they don't like. Look at the number of illegal immigrants doing anything they can to get here for a better life. Trade places with them for a while and I'd bet people would stop the protesting and be extremely happy to live in a place that allows us the freedoms we do have.

People have become spoiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies