Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 AM

39,332 posts, read 27,718,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I think it's silly because people take it as an "all or nothing" approach. They think that if you stand for the anthem then you are patriotic and that if you don't then your not. People hear and see symbols differently. Its not an all or nothing approach.

There are plenty of ways to be patriotic.
I think it is silly that people like you making an undue fuss about it.

Some people like it, let them enjoy it; you don't like it, don't stand up or go outside. See how it works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,678,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Better put the flags away too. They will be spitting on those before games by next season.
or this

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,514,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Wait, what are you arguing really?

Are you arguing the national anthem should stop being played, period

or you are arguing, you don't have to stand for the anthem.

You are arguing about two completely different subjects here.
Reread the title.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Reread the title.
I did. That is why I think it is silly that people like you making an undue fuss about it.

With all due respect, it is YOU who take it as an "all or nothing" approach.

https://cdn.boldomatic.com/content/p...world?size=800

Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM

36,711 posts, read 31,008,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Give me some good reasons why the National Anthem should stop being played, I will listen. I read every single post in this thread, so far, I am not so convinced why it should be stopped.
Those against the NA cant give reasons why except they think it is silly or unnecessary. Better yet they seem to believe the NA supporters are the ones obligated to present their arguments as to why the tradition should not be discontinued. I have always been under the impression that the burden of proof as well as presenting arguments was on the one who makes the challenge (the plaintiff).

I guess that is what happens when we as a society stop teaching traditions, destroy history and stop respecting rules, some people believe their individual wants and feelings superseded that of society as a whole and everything and everyone else be damned.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Those against the NA cant give reasons why except they think it is silly or unnecessary. Better yet they seem to believe the NA supporters are the ones obligated to present their arguments as to why the tradition should not be discontinued. I have always been under the impression that the burden of proof as well as presenting arguments was on the one who makes the challenge (the plaintiff).

I guess that is what happens when we as a society stop teaching traditions, destroy history and stop respecting rules, some people believe their individual wants and feelings superseded that of society as a whole and everything and everyone else be damned.
Yep. Well said.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was at a car show over the Summer and at 6 pm they made an announcement for everyones attention and they played the anthem. I thought it was a terrific moment, utter silence, hands on hearts some saluting as we looked toward the American Flag that was flying from a pole.

It gave me time to reflect among my fellow Americans of all ages, backgrounds, military service, their love of country and cars.
We are so lucky to live in such a wonderful country where we have the opportunity to work hard and smart and we have the resources to own and show a classic/ antique car.

Whenever or wherever the Anthem is played we should take that moment to thank all those who came before us, the ones who sacrificed, fought, bleed and died for us so we could have the joy of living in and raising a family in the greatest country ever or watching a sports game or hanging out at a car show.

The anthem is generally played/sung in under 2 minutes, which is not a long time to stand and reflect on how lucky we all are.
Awesome post. I'm glad there are people like us who can appreciate the moment, not whine and moan about it like spoiled pansies.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,332,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Should they stop serving alcohol, food, etc. during the playing of the National Anthem at a stadium.
Just to note......we have always stopped serving people during the playing of the national anthem in the concession stand I work at.

NFL? I have no idea as I've not been to a game since well before they were paid to show their patriotism.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,201,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You will either educate yourself on the subject or not. My bet is on not so yes there is no point in continuing the discussion with you.
But you have a monopoly on the education you say I need....as in the reasons why we may start an opera without first playing the anthem, but we cannot start a sporting event. How can I educate myself on this when the one person who knows the reasons, refuses to share them with me?

Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM

36,711 posts, read 31,008,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
But you have a monopoly on the education you say I need....as in the reasons why we may start an opera without first playing the anthem, but we cannot start a sporting event. How can I educate myself on this when the one person who knows the reasons, refuses to share them with me?
Google, I'm sure your familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies