Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Yep. It is "silly" to honor those men who died with the national anthem. Who cares, right? We have freedom in this nation, just 'cause. **** those dead soldiers.

I tell ya, people who think the national anthem is silly turn my stomach.
Why? The National Anthem glorifies war. I don't care what people think of me; war is something to be avoided at all costs. No matter what our lying politicians say, America is the most warmongering country in the world. My parents raised me here; where I was born wasn't my decision. America is a great country, but war and killing people is not what makes it great. Anyone who follows that twisted logic needs to have their head examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
So if you dont stand for the anthem then your not proud to be an American? LOL
Not what I'm saying. But my opinion of anyone who does not at a function where it is customary is that they 1. don't respect their country, 2. they are full of themselves and are trying to make a statement, or 3. both.
I don't know if those who do stand are truly proud to be an American or if those who don't are. I do however support our American traditions. People often say American has no culture of its own, well standing for our national anthem at community gatherings is part of our culture. I feel that it is respectable to participate in these traditions. I'm aware others don't share my belief. I don't care if you don't participate but don't push to change traditions for others because you think its silly.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
The oft-repeated meme that wanting Americans to live up to our ideals means we hate America is just ignorant.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Americans are supposed to stand up, or in this case, take a knee, for what is right and oppose what is wrong.

Strange that so many believe that singing the National Anthem makes you patriotic.

Suspect it is the same folks that believe that as long as you wear a flag lapel pin, you can tear apart the country, no questions asked.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Something weird about "forced" patriotism whether it's singing the national anthem or reciting the pledge of alliance in schools.
How many Americans just go through the motions just to be culturally appropriate?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
They don't play the national anthem at the Wal-mart checkout or the drive through at Burger King; why should a sports business do it?
Oh good grief. Is that the standard you hold our county to, wal mart and burger king.

Here is the link posted earlier by ma5cmpb. That poster used it to try to claim the NA wasnt played at ball games until 2011 (because thats the date of the article) but if you actually read the article it goes into detail about why/how the tradition began.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:40 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh good grief. Is that the standard you hold our county to, wal mart and burger king.

Here is the link posted earlier by ma5cmpb. That poster used it to try to claim the NA wasnt played at ball games until 2011 (because thats the date of the article) but if you actually read the article it goes into detail about why/how the tradition began.
No i said that the national anthem was always played at certain games. Superbowl, World Series, locally etc, but it really took off nationally after 9-11, along with celebrating the military at the games too.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Americans are supposed to stand up, or in this case, take a knee, for what is right and oppose what is wrong.

Strange that so many believe that singing the National Anthem makes you patriotic.

Suspect it is the same folks that believe that as long as you wear a flag lapel pin, you can tear apart the country, no questions asked.
I find that strange and odd as well.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not up to you when it is the right time to protest. You can not deny that these protests have gotten people's attention and caused us to talk about the problems.
I'm not the only one who feels that way. Yet another social more that seems to allude a segment of our country.
The only conversation I hear about Colin is distaste for his actions.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Something weird about "forced" patriotism whether it's singing the national anthem or reciting the pledge of alliance in schools.
How many Americans just go through the motions just to be culturally appropriate?
This is what i meant by saying that it was silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies