Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, it can but I wouldn't expect you to understand.
Too often we become complacent, we see and experience freedom and liberty and even unity everyday so that it becomes invisible to us. When we begin to take these things for granted we forget that at one time did not have them and are then in danger of losing them. Such a simple thing to recite the national anthem at gatherings to let us remember what came before us and keep that memory alive for those who come after us.

If you have no pride or allegiance to your country or respect for those who fought and gave their lives for generations of Americans to enjoy the freedoms that we do then you are free to not participate in acknowledging our county and our national anthem as a community and as fellow Americans. Leave the rest of us alone.
We are doing many things that I mostly certainly am not proud about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,511,688 times
Quote:
WHAT???? BS.
How about 9/6/1918.
It was always sung at certain games like the superbowl, world series etc, It wasn't sung before every single game like they do today until after 9-11. Thats when they really got the military involved as well.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,994,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The anthem is about 1 minute for people to stop worrying about their Twitter, their Facebook, their bank account, their TV shows, their material possessions, etc and maybe, just maybe have a moment to think about something bigger than themselves.
For some people, something bigger than themselves is God, and that is where they place their devotion and thanks. Some prefer contemplation during a moment of silence or doing yoga. Some think about those bigger things when they are out in nature or exploring ancient ruins. Is a sports game really the best place to coerce people into thinking about something bigger than themselves? I think not.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
It was always sung at certain games like the superbowl, world series etc, It wasn't sung before every single game like they do today until after 9-11. Thats when they really got the military involved as well.
Bull. I've been around for a bit longer than 2011 and it has been sung at games and events long before that.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
For some people, something bigger than themselves is God, and that is where they place their devotion and thanks. Some prefer contemplation during a moment of silence or doing yoga. Some think about those bigger things when they are out in nature or exploring ancient ruins. Is a sports game really the best place to coerce people into thinking about something bigger than themselves? I think not.
Sports game may be as good as any place considering those events are probably the most popular gathering spot for Americans.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,101,345 times
I love hearing it. I listen to it every other week when I'm about to play/start. The song never gets old for me.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
Well most people understand that nothing in life is 100% all or nothing.
Of course there are things we should not be proud of as a country. The same holds true for individuals. We make mistakes, we commit grievances and hopefully we learn from them and in the end we are more good than not.
Arguable.

Quote:
So if you are not proud to be an American why do you stay in this place?
Is that what I said? No it isn't.

Quote:
And yes if one is to take residence, take advantage of the freedoms, opportunities, indulge in the bounties and privileges provided its citizens then one should be proud to do so.
In many cases, arguable.

Quote:
Some of you sound like spoiled children that feel entitled to mommy and daddy's home they provide, heat and air, clean clothes, food, education, money with no appreciation for a family that allowed you this giving no respect for their work and sacrifice.
If you equate that with my displeasure of killing tens of thousands of innocent people around the world to please Wall Street, you are mistaken.

Quote:
Its a flipping song, sung in unity, to show thanks that we are and have remained a sovereign country thru the sacrifice of others.
Again if you dont give a chit, fine, but leave the rest of us alone to hold up our communities and our country an all those who fought for our freedoms. And at what better a place than community gatherings.
Go for it. Why is it that you don't have the same respect in leaving others alone?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Go for it. Why is it that you don't have the same respect in leaving others alone?
well, either you play it, or you don't.

What is your definition of "leaving others alone"?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,681,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.

Why would it be silly, and what makes you think it's fake patriotism? It should be real patriotism. After all, it's through the service to that flag in which the National Anthem is being sang about that we are allowed the freedom to play sports, go to events, etc...

Taking a moment of your time to reflect on why we have these freedoms is what makes the country great. If you don't want to participate, great. That is also your right and freedom granted to you by the people who have fought and died for this country. That's a right some countries do not allow their citizens to have.

You should be a little more thankful and respectful of it. Many will find it disrespectful if you choose not to acknowledge the people who have fought and died to give us all of the rights that we take for granted. Kapernick is figuring this out now that he seems to be getting blacklisted from pretty much everything. It's obvious that the nation as a whole still has enough patriotism in their blood that we don't appreciate those who don't appreciate our country.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,700,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's just as silly to say that others should stop playing it as it is to demand others must stand.
Way to take a stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies