Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How many more children are we going to sacrifice in the name of the Second Amendment?
The gun cultists simply don't care as long as it's not there own children then yours or mine don't mean squat to them as long as they get to keep their toys they're perfectly happy sacrificing other people's children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The gun cultists simply don't care as long as it's not there own children then yours or mine don't mean squat to them as long as they get to keep their toys they're perfectly happy sacrificing other people's children.
If Wayne La Pierre's family were gunned down, would he change his stance on guns. I doubt it. Pretty sad.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

This is such BS!! It really gets old this speal of how gun owners have no feelings beyond our ownership of firearms and the intent of the 2A. Toys? That is a really ignorant thing to say. I'll tell you this for certain also, we are not without empathy for those who have lost loved ones to the actions of violent criminals. A great many of us have experienced this ourselves.

Such degrading and insulting absolutism as expressed by this quoted post is an example of the very worst in humanity. Blind, unfounded hatred and contempt for people that one knows absolutely nothing about. Thnk of it this way, there are two schools of thought at issue here. One wants to run and hide behind an imaginary curtain of "protection." Represented by laws and the police.

The other has a will to stand and fight back. Taking our personal safety personally. Instead of fear we feel anger. Both ugly emotions but at least anger can be turned to something useful. Such as determination. Because we know that laws and the police may as well be smoke between us and a violent attack by a predator.

I suppose that people with views such as those expressed in this quoted post take joy in extending the same lack of empathy that they dare accuse us of. There is no illusion with people who choose to be armed that we can be there every second of every day to protect our loved ones. Any more than the police can. I can just hear the cackles of glee and the "told ya so's" when a loved one of an armed citizen s lost to a violent crime.

All conscience lost in agenda driven hatred. It washes over these people like a bucket of warm urine dumped out a second story window and then they spit it out at us in all its fetid stench. rest assured, being armed dos not expunge us of feeling. Quite the opposite, many of us know all to well what losing a loved one to criminal violence is like. We can and do empathize fully with the families of victims. And we direct our hatred and anger at the hyenas responsible. Regardless of what they use to do the damage they do.

I truly do not understand the bile that gets directed at law abiding owners of firearms when a violent animal goes on a mindless rampage. I suppose if it makes these folks somehow feel better about things have at it. As an armed citizen I know how to let things roll off me. And so it is.....

Old 11-07-2017, 05:02 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Not sure it's a gun issue; but rather a warped American culture issue. America is overrun with cowards that run for their gun at the slightest issue. Its the American way: speak loudly and hide behind your gun in order to feel high and mighty
Agree. It'd make more sense to evaluate regulations based on the impact they'd have on crime, public safety, health issues, ... etc.

Agree it makes sense to consider what we, the people, want our American culture to say about who we are as a peoples. Why choose to be 'exceptional' in stubbornly desiring to continue perpetuating a warped culture where violence is an accepted way of solving problems? Where it's accepted & sometimes even lauded as the 'honorable' way? We're no longer occupying the 'wild, wild West' nor are we residing in the antebellum South.

Quote:
...The opinion most enthusiastically embraced by public-carry advocates is Nunn v. State, a state-court decision written by Georgia Chief Justice Joseph Henry Lumpkin in 1846. As a jurist, Lumpkin was a champion both of slavery and of the Southern code of honor. Perhaps, not by coincidence, Nunn was the first case in which a court struck down a gun law on the basis of the Second Amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court cited Nunn in District of Columbia v. Heller, its landmark 2008 decision holding, for the first time in over 200 years, that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a handgun in the home for self-defense. Why courts or gun-rights advocates think Lumpkin’s view of the right to bear arms provides a solid foundation for modern firearms jurisprudence is puzzling. Slavery, “honor,†and their associated violence spawned a unique weapons culture. One of its defining features was a permissive view of white citizens’ right to carry weapons in public. ...
The Slave-State Origins of Modern Gun Rights

The idea that citizens have an unfettered constitutional right to carry weapons in public originates in the antebellum South, and its culture of violence and honor.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-south/407809/

Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Take guns away from Democrats and we may accomplish your goals. Since everytime one of these senseless shootings happen, they are clearly a friggin Communist nutcase Democrat, pulling the trigger.
Some examples would be helpful.
Also while you enjoy blaming Democrats for such carnage here's a different point of view = https://washingtonmonthly.com/2017/1...can-shootings/

Last edited by jambo101; 11-07-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This is such BS!! It really gets old this speal of how gun owners have no feelings beyond our ownership of firearms and the intent of the 2A. Toys? That is a really ignorant thing to say. I'll tell you this for certain also, we are not without empathy for those who have lost loved ones to the actions of violent criminals. A great many of us have experienced this ourselves.

Such degrading and insulting absolutism as expressed by this quoted post is an example of the very worst in humanity. Blind, unfounded hatred and contempt for people that one knows absolutely nothing about. Thnk of it this way, there are two schools of thought at issue here. One wants to run and hide behind an imaginary curtain of "protection." Represented by laws and the police.

The other has a will to stand and fight back. Taking our personal safety personally. Instead of fear we feel anger. Both ugly emotions but at least anger can be turned to something useful. Such as determination. Because we know that laws and the police may as well be smoke between us and a violent attack by a predator.

I suppose that people with views such as those expressed in this quoted post take joy in extending the same lack of empathy that they dare accuse us of. There is no illusion with people who choose to be armed that we can be there every second of every day to protect our loved ones. Any more than the police can. I can just hear the cackles of glee and the "told ya so's" when a loved one of an armed citizen s lost to a violent crime.

All conscience lost in agenda driven hatred. It washes over these people like a bucket of warm urine dumped out a second story window and then they spit it out at us in all its fetid stench. rest assured, being armed dos not expunge us of feeling. Quite the opposite, many of us know all to well what losing a loved one to criminal violence is like. We can and do empathize fully with the families of victims. And we direct our hatred and anger at the hyenas responsible. Regardless of what they use to do the damage they do.

I truly do not understand the bile that gets directed at law abiding owners of firearms when a violent animal goes on a mindless rampage. I suppose if it makes these folks somehow feel better about things have at it. As an armed citizen I know how to let things roll off me. And so it is.....
1. No my comments aren't BS I'm surrounded by conservatives including family members and I know their warped mindset well. They remain quiet and in my opinion are complacent when these mass shootings occur, rarely is more than 2 words uttered.

2. That's right more than anything they serve as "toys" for target practice and an occasionally hunting for sport for the most part.

3. I have hatred and contempt for the mindset, the culture and it's awful impact not the people by in large.

4. Perhaps you are projecting a bit here I haven't seen this.

6. You mean my reference to the gun cultists. Those that are opposed to any sensible gun control and hide behind a twisted interpretation of the second amendment. The scummy gun lobbies the NRA and the complacent masses in this slaughters who should bear the weight of guilt.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
1. No my comments aren't BS I'm surrounded by conservatives including family members and I know their warped mindset well. They remain quiet and in my opinion are complacent when these mass shootings occur, rarely is more than 2 words uttered.

2. That's right more than anything they serve as "toys" for target practice and an occasionally hunting for sport for the most part.

3. I have hatred and contempt for the mindset, the culture and it's awful impact not the people by in large.

6. You mean my reference to the gun cultists. Those that are opposed to any sensible gun control and hide behind a twisted interpretation of the second amendment. The scummy gun lobbies the NRA and the complacent masses in this slaughters who should bear the weight of guilt.
Sensible gun control? Could you define that?

You cant? Well heres sensible gun control. Grassley Cruz bill would have required INSTANT reporting from agencies Military to ATF FBI etc, to NICS system which would have prevented this from happening.

Sensible gun control=Your feeble emotions dictating law.
Not going to happen.

Sensible gun control, is methods that will work without going after this flavor of weapon or that flavor of weapon following tragedy, but examining the details in what motivated the scumbags and what other laws have the violated other than clearly murder since it is illegal to murder afterall in this country...

Oh we aren't coming for your guns or confiscating them. We only want a registry. We only want to cease production on whats currently on the market and get them to be what will allow. And with our registry, we will ban future sales of what you own, and require you to forfeit to the state police. Like NY Safe Act.

20k laws on the books and one law in particular COULD have prevented this from happening but because that bill carried Pro gun legislation with it, democrats filibustered it. Shot it down. Proof positive democrats are not interested in common sense, sensible gun laws, or compromising.
Democrats manipulate language. Assault weapon-Theyre on a registry. Theyre astronomically expensive. They are regulated. Media reports assault weapon/rifle theyre on a registry and can not be manufactured post 1986.
Compromise. Compromise is 2 part. For them compromise means one part gives up more for the other side to have. There is no compromising with democrats on gun control at all what so ever.
Every time a thread exists in here, they all come out of the wood work and prove it with their vile vitriol Like I dont know, calling for something to happen to Wayne LaPierres family?
Like equating law abiding citizens with murderous scumbags?
Like declaring the NRA a terrorist organisation?

And you expect to be taken seriously? If anything you have proven with your words here and else where, celebrity elites as well, that you advocate violence and are prejudice against law abiding citizens and NRA members.

If someone of a specific faith/religion commits an atrocity, cant blame the religion at all for the actions of one bad one.
But when someone commissions the use of a firearm, its QUICK NRA IS AN ENABLER NRA members and Republicans are TERRORISTS!

Nice hypocrisy ya'll have there.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

Outside of here, you won't hear me commenting much on these shootings either, but do not mistake silence for complacency. What should we do? Rail on about "gun cultists"? From your posts would stay silent around you as well. Whatever I might say you would see as an invitation to a screaming match and an opportunity to spew bile. And I'm not even a conservative or a Republican.

No, firearms are NOT toys. They are very serious tools. Both practice at the range and hunting are exercises in firearms safety and use. I also carry for defensive purposes and help instruct in a CCW course offered by our shooting organization. A three day intensive course and not everybody graduates. I have no issue relenting the fact that not everybody should even own let alone carry a gun. But these are exceptions, not rules with the people we see in our class. More and more the bulk of our students are women. There's a good reason for that.

You don't know anything about the true "mindset of the culture" if you are referring to the shooting community as a whole. Which I believe you are. Owning a firearms does not make someone a member of that community by default.

Projecting? Probably, as I was a tad angry when wrote that reply to your post. The goose and gander cliche'. However, as a firearms owner and having lost a loved one who was my entire life to criminal violence that would be angry at your commentary would be understandable to most reasonable folks.

The above response goes to this last as well. But this also delves into the same tired ranting about "sensible gun control" (which always is much less than sensible) and playing the blame game. Now who's "projecting?" The shooting community is made up in the lions share of folks like me. People who know by experience that the police cannot, will not be there to protect our loved ones and ourselves against violent , bipedal predators. And for that we are told we have "blood on our hands" and as you have said here are somehow guilty and complicit in the deaths of innocent people. More people die everyday because they have been denied their right to firearms, and thus the means to defend themselves and their families, than have died in every mass shooting in history. The TX shooter was in violation of a BUNCH of laws already on the books that would, SHOULD have stopped him from buying any guns. When I worked in my friends gun store we denied and reported quite a few convicted felons trying to buy guns.

In not ONE case did the police act on the reports. There are plenty of laws on the books. Enforce them and it might make a difference. In the case in TX it would have. Responsible firearms owners bear no guilt in the deaths resulting from criminal misuse of guns. Nobody I know is going to turn in the firearms we use everyday in lawful and responsible manner because folks like you think we are somehow guilty. I live in a heavily armed community where both CCW and open carry are lawful. Something I am thankful for. We don't have High Noon shoot outs or people being killed over parking spots. Bear in mind that we who carry a gun are under a very strict set of laws and regulations that are more strict than even what LE operates under.

We are not "guilty" of anything.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How many more children are we going to sacrifice in the name of the Second Amendment?
You do realize the main purpose of the 2nd was to prevent tyranny from gaining a foot hold, how can the people ever successfully remove a Govt from power when its people do not have access to adequate enough weapons to complete the job?

Its like the twilight zone, so many people who actually side with Govt taking more and more gun rights away from the people, they have allowed themselves to be duped and brainwashed by this tyrannical Govt and its right hand man, the media!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Let's not make this about us vs. them.

I tend to lean more liberal but don't know what the answer is about how to make sure guns stay out of the hands of those that are mentally unstable. Let's talk about that.

Don't get defensive. You can keep your gun -- but how do we stop someone like this crazy man from getting a gun.

In this case it is clear that the system is broken or else he wouldn't have been able to buy guns, so let's talk about how to fix it.

Finally an adult in the room. Kudos. Troll rhetoric is about as valuable as a piece of toilet paper.

The only way to stop gun violence is to take away all guns. It's radical but it works. Is it fair? Heck no. I own guns. I love to target practice. Is it fair that I have to surrender my firearms because some wack job shot up a church? No. It's not. How do you stop a crazy person from getting a gun? You can't. That's the bottom line. You can regulate the industry better. You can be required to go through a licensing process. You can close the loopholes on pop up gun shows. You can regulate the ammunition. Will all of this stop gun violence? I doubt it. It might slow it down a lot. Guns get stolen from homes and businesses, and are used in crimes. Is it time for tougher legislation? Well our president says it's not time to talk about it. Lets focus on building a wall instead. He's about as valuable as a piece of toilet paper when it comes to addressing gun control.

I personally would be more then happy to go through a licensing process which includes a psych evaluation to own my guns. Lets regulate the ammo. No license? No ammo. Does a drivers license stop a drunk driver from killing someone? Nope. Does a drivers license stop some idiot from texting and killing someone? Nope. Nothing is 100% effective, but it's a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies