Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How many more children are we going to sacrifice in the name of the Second Amendment?
When you converse with enough hardline 2nd Amendment supporters you begin realize that a substantial number of them are really quasi-religious gun worshipers. Hence there is no logical argument, hard evidence, data, statistic or emotional plea you can present that would sway them. I would put Gun Fanatics, Muslims and SJW's as the most illogical, overly-emotionally and unreasonable people I have ever argued with. The fact that so many of them are willing to kill people or die in order to keep their guns (a mere inanimate object) tells you about the mental health of many of these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Had the Air Force done their job the law would have kept him from buying the guns. The law was in place..........
True, but it's still too easy to obtain a gun at gun shows or through friends. As long as we have a right to own a gun, we're going to have a problem.

Gun ownership should be considered a privilege, not a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
When you converse with enough hardline 2nd Amendment supporters you begin realize that a substantial number of them are really quasi-religious gun worshipers. Hence there is no logical argument, hard evidence, data, statistic or emotional plea you can present that would sway them. I would put Gun Fanatics, Muslims and SJW's as the most illogical, overly-emotionally and unreasonable people I have ever argued with. The fact that so many of them are willing to kill people or die in order to keep their guns (a mere inanimate object) tells you about the mental health of many of these people.
I absolutely agree. They're not being rational about it. And many of these same people are still Trump supporters, which also requires a certain level of denial and blind faith.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True, but it's still too easy to obtain a gun at gun shows or through friends. As long as we have a right to own a gun, we're going to have a problem.

Gun ownership should be considered a privilege, not a right.

Oh but its Ok for govt and law enforcement to be exempt, right?

The purpose of the 2nd amendment was the best way to prevent tyranny from gaining traction in the US, "when a Govt is scared of its people, there is liberty, when a people are scared of their Govt there is tyranny"

Can you not see why the govt would want more people to believe access to firearms needs to be regulated and controlled? OF course a tyrannical Govt would never come out and call themselves tyrannical, tyranny will always try to disguise itself as security, its fairly easy to see, not sure why more people cannot recognize this?

BTW, its not a republican or democrat thing either, this goes much deeper than 2 temporary political parties, they come and go, history proves this.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. No my comments aren't BS I'm surrounded by conservatives including family members and I know their warped mindset well. They remain quiet and in my opinion are complacent when these mass shootings occur, rarely is more than 2 words uttered.

2. That's right more than anything they serve as "toys" for target practice and an occasionally hunting for sport for the most part.

3. I have hatred and contempt for the mindset, the culture and it's awful impact not the people by in large.

4. Perhaps you are projecting a bit here I haven't seen this.

6. You mean my reference to the gun cultists. Those that are opposed to any sensible gun control and hide behind a twisted interpretation of the second amendment. The scummy gun lobbies the NRA and the complacent masses in this slaughters who should bear the weight of guilt.
Some members of my family are militant progressives. Which is why I never comment in these situations - I've heard enough over the years, being called a racist, bigot, extremist, and heard the dripping contempt when they utter the words "guuuuuun" to know no good will come out of any discussion with them. I won't change their mind, and they won't change mine. So for the sake of family harmony, I keep quiet, as do they.

The irony is that until very recently, I didn't own a gun, although I defend our constitutional right carry one. They, on the other hand, own multiple guns. Somehow, that's different.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh but its Ok for govt and law enforcement to be exempt, right?

The purpose of the 2nd amendment was the best way to prevent tyranny from gaining traction in the US, "when a Govt is scared of its people, there is liberty, when a people are scared of their Govt there is tyranny"

Can you not see why the govt would want more people to believe access to firearms needs to be regulated and controlled? OF course a tyrannical Govt would never come out and call themselves tyrannical, tyranny will always try to disguise itself as security, its fairly easy to see, not sure why more people cannot recognize this?

BTW, its not a republican or democrat thing either, this goes much deeper than 2 temporary political parties, they come and go, history proves this.
Gun enthusiast are the tyranny. I am far less worried about the cops or military then a bunch of deranged gun worshiping fanatics who act like the nation is constantly on the cusp of civil war.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm saying if we take away guns, the violent will find other ways. Tim McVeigh used a fertilizer bomb. The terrorist in New York used a truck. Even though he had a gun, the truck running into a crowd was just as deadly. A mall stabbing in St. Cloud, Minnesota. A steak knife used. Not a bowie knife, not a hunting knife, but a kitchen knife.

Limiting guns has not helped the cities of Baltimore and Newark, which have some of the worst murder rates in the USA. New Hampshire and Vermont, on the other hand, have some of the lowest murder rates in the USA, and those states are gun friendly.

The problem is violence. Violent people will use what is available to them to kill people. Taking away guns might take away their ability to kill via the gun. And even that isn't guaranteed. The violent live and die by violence. They live according to the ideal of "Disrespect me and you will be killed". I don't know a solution to the violence problem, because that problem does to culture, to mentality.
Just because some will circumvent laws is not a reason to avoid any regulation. Yes people can kill in many ways but imagined if the killer in this case just had a knife, should we be making it easier.

You are obviously hand picking you cities to support your conclusion, strict gun laws do in fact work in many cities and there is violent crime in others with an abundance of guns.

We do have a violent culture but we also have easy access to guns.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Gun enthusiast are the tyranny. I am far less worried about the cops or military then a bunch of deranged gun worshiping fanatics who act like the nation is constantly on the cusp of civil war.
It's because of people like you that this country is on the cusp of civil war. You wouldn't know tyranny when it's staring you in the face. You've got it in spades in your State of California. Tyranny by the majority.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just because some will circumvent laws is not a reason to avoid any regulation. Yes people can kill in many ways but imagined if the killer in this case just had a knife, should we be making it easier.

You are obviously hand picking you cities to support your conclusion, strict gun laws do in fact work in many cities and there is violent crime in others with an abundance of guns.

Imagine if the killer in this case just had a molotov cocktail? Should we be making it easier?

The "Happyland Fire" in 1990 killed 87 people, more than any mass shooting with only a dollars worth of gasoline in a container.

How about rental trucks? Should we be making it easier?

We do have a violent culture but we also have easy access to gasoline and vehicles. As a matter of fact we have easier access to those than guns. There are no background checks, NICS checks or government forms to fill out in order to legally purchase those items nor are there limits as to how much gasoline or how many vehicles you can own.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
I have addressed that in another thread that was titled as gun violence.
I have posted deaths relevant to gun violence.
It is your sides emotional interpretation and manipulation to skew numbers to include suicide, accidents/negligent discharges as gun violence.

If we are being honest... And your premise is preservation of life... There are FAR many other things that need to be legislated and regulated. FAR more.
Emotion does not work on me. NOR should it work on anyone. It is feeble at best.
Also it does not help your cause with the attitude you hold, as if you are some how anointed to make a judgement call on mental health and labeling anyone who is a firearm owner/enthusiast/constitutionalist implied as deranged. Like your own words below...

Quote:

Really now, what is more tyranical.
Suggesting everyone and future generations be limited and restricted access to the weapons they want to defend themselves, their communities.
Suggesting everyone practice their constitutionally backed rights to keep and bear arms as they see fit.

Tell me which is tyrannical or you can only resort to knee jerk emotional tirades?

Because if we are being honest...
Gun violence...

Biological Weapons that are Reported

Whats your answer to that one? Create a registry? Perform background checks before engaging in frivolous activities like promiscuous sex and IV drug use?

Private Transportation

Leading causes of death

Heart disease. Ban Fast Food. Perform background checks on fat people? Limit sedentary lifestyle activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Odd, I didnt see a clause in the constitution that states when a tragedy occurs the constitution can be overhauled by emotional tyrants.
Hand picking cities? Oh man, facts are a hard thing for the left arent they?
Muh Strict Gun Laws! Theyre not working in cities that have the strictest laws! Blasphemy!

Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Should I not be able to protect myself, and family from armed intruders in a home invasion scenario? What would I do if I did not have a firearm? How about if I was car jacked? I attended a sentencing of a criminal many years ago in which a friend of mine was the prosecutor. The perpetrator held up a young couple at gun point in their car. He shot the husband, and kidnapped the woman. He raped her multiple times, and was going to then murder her as well, but she was able to miraculously escape to safety. The perp was tried, and convicted. If that couple had access to a gun, the man may still be alive, and the woman maybe unharmed. As they were defenseless the worst type of HELL happened to both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies