Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,797,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have no problem with background checks.. or even expanded background checks.. I even WANT them

why are liberals so hung up on a 22cal rifle(ar15)... is it because its black
Sounds like liberal racism to me......

Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Gun insurance doesn't contradict the 2nd amendment. Neither does it affect the right to own any gun. It only deters those high risk group from owning weapons that may cause mass shooting.
Owning weapons causes mass shootings? I suppose you have some study or statistics to back up that moronic statement.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,003,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
You took my sentence about the hopes of mass shootings stopping and re-framed it as "reduce violent crime to zero", which I never said, which is why I told you to re-read my post. You didn't "quote" me at all, you took what I wrote an interpreted it into something I didn't say.
I quoted you...by clicking on the "quote" button which displays exactly what you said, which was implying that you expect mass shootings to be completely eliminated....but never mind. Trying to apply logic to hyperbole here and it was dumb on my part.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM

7,662 posts, read 4,648,024 times
Gun ownership is allowed by the constitution. It's part of American DNA. Find another way.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,924,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
From the little I know about the subject, I understand you can convert almost any rifle to fully automatic.
To convert an AR15 to full auto you must do the following:
  • Mill out the sear pocket on the lower receiver.
    Drill the sear pin holes on either side of the lower receiver within 1000th of an inch of their proper location.
    Find or make ( machining experience required) a sear and the correct spring.
    Find or make a 3 position selector switch.
    Find or make a full auto hammer.
    Find a full auto bolt carrier. These are pretty much standard because of the extra weight.

We know all of this because the mechanical diagrams are available on the web. But as soon as you drill the holes you are in violation of the Gun Control Act of 1934 and the Hughes Amendment of 1984 due to something the ATF likes to call "intent".

Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,556,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The so-called "assault weapons ban" of 1994 was a poorly written worthless piece of legislation. It was a feel-good law intended to drum up votes<>
Did it ban possession? Or just manufacture or import? I'm confused now.
And that was just a list, right? I say let them ban the sale of AR-15s with a picture of an AR-15 from the Air Force armory. Democrats will feel good and everybody can keep their "big black ugly auto-loading sporting rifle that looks like an AR-15", but no full auto handmedowns from the US Army allowed in civilian hands. And you just can't buy an Armalite Rifle.
"I'm good with that"

Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 PM

10,798 posts, read 3,615,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Gun ownership is allowed by the constitution. It's part of American DNA. Find another way.
Sure.. you can own them.

BUT;
  • You must safely store them.
  • They must have trigger locks.
  • Restrict magazine capacity, including on .22's.
  • Waiting time of 3-5 days to allow for background checks (and minimize purchases for suicide reasons).
  • Require training for purchase of any other than single shot firearms.
And I can think of a number of other positive gun control measures that would make sense. BTW, I own over 10 guns, as does my son. We understand this issue well.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 PM

50,532 posts, read 47,308,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And that's pretty much the point of gun control. Nikolas Cruz should have never been able to purchase one. Never.

Suppose he would have used a handgun instead, and we are mourning the death of 7 kids instead of 17. Sadly, that is progress in America. As pitiful as that might sound, it means 10 more kids get to go to school tomorrow.
You claim to own a firearm? How could you possibly make this BS claim....

Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 PM

10,382 posts, read 8,625,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
But you don't know that, do you? No one does. You cannot keep coming out with this argument that we are helpless to do anything because they will just find another way of killing more people. That's not necessarily true, and it is usually false.

The Las Vegas shooter would have likely been able to pull off his massacre even with increased background checks and restrictions on assault rifles.

However, that is not necessarily true either. There was a gun store owner in Nevada who refused to sell him a rifle. With increased scrutiny there is an increased chance he might have called someone in law enforcement who could have questioned him and prevented the massacre from ever happening.

You see, we don't know what will happen until we start doing something. We are doing nothing. That is the problem.
Merely doing something isn't the solution.
That is the real problem. The anti gunners keep proposing actions which will do nothing, simply for the sake of thinking they are doing something.
I say we all go fishing tomorrow to stop the killing. That's doing something, right?
Oh wait, you want to do something that actually solves the problem. Well banning Ar15's is doing something that doesn't solve the problem, but punishes law abiding citizens who own ar15's.
But if pro gun people make a suggestion, it is usually met with something like
"you gun nuts value your ar15 more than kids lives and you are all selfish Pri##ks"
Most ar15 owners care about others lives just as much as the anti gunners claim to care.
I'd be willing to bet most ar15 owners would give up their rifles if it truly meant not another innocent life was lost. But the truth is we know we'd give up something and wouldn't get that back in return.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,556,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
<>My proposal is the only one that will make any kind of long term difference, whether you like it or not.
That's not a proposal, that's an idea. In order to be a proposal, you have to outline how you will repeal and replace the 2nd Amendment and similar provisions in 45 State Constitutions. Other wise you are just
"Sound and Fury, signifying nothing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies