Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 09:42 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Article I read yesterday said same as the last 7 recessions/economic down turns.

Honestly, I read stuff like that, and just gotta take their word for it, it's not like I totally understand it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
[quote=Ringo1;53789829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You would first need to try to understand criticism of Trump in a way that does not always dismiss the likes as simple bias. Truly understand those criticisms -- objectively -- and maybe there would be a point in further exchanging opinion about all that Trump is or isn't.

After all, not too long ago, our economy and the world economy was humming on all cylinders. We have been the largest economy and wealthiest country in the world for quite awhile now. People like Trump like to find easy targets, like China, and claim all manner of victimization. We're being taken advantage of? In what way and by what measure really? What do you know about China's perspective about all that for example?

No matter?

All Trump seems to do is generate more friction and problem with friends and enemies alike, largely blown out of proportion or misrepresented in ways his followers swallow like honey, while meanwhile what are the REAL results? YOU been suffering from American trade with China before Trump came along? YOU stand to do better with all Trump claims to be accomplishing? The average American any closer to better health care in this country? Our kids able to enjoy better access to affordable quality education?

They say "the business of America is business," and no doubt that seems Trump's focus. The business deal, but for how long now have we been watching who mostly benefits from these business deals? What does the incredible massing of wealth at the top of our socio-economic ladder tell us? Who are the Americans Trump is really working for and how do we measure that exactly?

Right! Back to Trump "the absolute greatest for the economy" regardless how true any of that may actually be. Ideology, bias and ego will trump facts, reason and logic any day! (Pun intended).[/quote]

You were exactly correct in the response you received. Your post was not countered with anything resembling a debate.

Thanks for noticing...

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought to myself "oh no, not another unwarranted praising of Trump by another misguided starry eyed Trump devotee," and the thought this sort of propaganda has legs is always a concern, but this thread has also done some good in maybe removing some of the "smoke and mirrors" that seems to be working on too many Americans these days...

Old 12-04-2018, 09:56 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Article I read yesterday said same as the last 7 recessions/economic down turns.

Honestly, I read stuff like that, and just gotta take their word for it, it's not like I totally understand it.
Economics section is the place to go. This is a good summary here:
Why are long yields falling?

IOW, an inverted yield curve means borrowers cannot charge more interest for loans than they're paying on the money they themselves are using to loan out. So they stop loaning out. When they stop loaning out, bad things happen.

If you had money you were paying 2.5% interest on, but market forces told you you could only charge 2% interest to customers, would you lend out that money at all? No. Instead you'd stop borrowing anything at all and stop lending out anything at all.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
We will see who the eventual losers will be. See post 2888 for a hint. Within a couple years you will have wished Hillary had won, since the next recession will be blamed on Trump.
Does that mean the Fed should aggressively raise interest rates into a looming recession ?

No need to answer we both know what it is. Point being we are way overdo for a recession.

Knowing what causes it will give us a better idea how severe and how long it will be.

When everyone is in a panic and throwing in the towel I'll be a buyer, holding 90% in cash now.

I have no fear. Tariff Man is here !!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tru...dist=bigcharts

President Donald Trump on Tuesday gave himself a superhero-like nickname as he acknowledged that the U.S. and China may not conclude a trade deal even after optimistic talks held over the weekend.

Trump called himself “Tariff Man” in a series of tweets pointing out the 90-day deadline the U.S. has announced for reaching an agreement with China before a step-up in tariff rates from 10% to 25% is set to occur.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Does that mean the Fed should aggressively raise interest rates into a looming recession ?

No need to answer we both know what it is. Point being we are way overdo for a recession.

Knowing what causes it will give us a better idea how severe and how long it will be.

When everyone is in a panic and throwing in the towel I'll be a buyer, holding 90% in cash now.

You've been sitting on 90% cash during this bull market but now you're ready to dive in head first?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 AM

It's barfing!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Point being we are way overdo for a recession.
You should have said that to yourself before you started this thread early this year - a thread which is now making you look pretty ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You should have said that to yourself before you started this thread early this year - a thread which is now making you look pretty ridiculous.
Does talking to yourself really work ?

It was common knowledge and much discussed.
If someone didn't know it they likely wouldn't be posting here.

I'll continue to look pretty regardless.
Ridiculous is drawing conclusions with a lot of time on the clock.
Your predictions haven't come true. As you said its just started, IYO.
If anything we would both be ridiculous having done the same.
Looks like this is a thread for the ridiculous. No wonder it gets so much traffic.

Last edited by phma; 12-04-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well spill away all you want, but I've been watching it very very closely now and have been during the past 5 years, and it's actually been doing better, than when Obama was President.....

so believe what you want...but the fact is, it is and has been doing much better.

Much of that increase, however, was fueled by gains in the stock market. Americans saw the value of their equity holdings which includes investments in stocks, mutual funds and retirement accounts -- soar to $29.4 trillion in the first quarter of this year. That's up 8.1% from the same period in 2017.

wait till you get to the end of the story...it's gonna change a bit by Q4.....

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Does talking to yourself really work ?

It was common knowledge and much discussed.
If someone didn't know it they likely wouldn't be posting here.
Obviously it was not common knowledge to you, because if it was, you would't have started this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies