Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, links that have absolutely zero support of the argument.

I take it you have no clue?
You're right. You are so much more intelligent than I and know so much more about immigration than does the Pew Research Center, etc.

That data? All lies. The truth, that no one, least of all the Scandinavians, wants to admit, is that the Europeans have been flooding to the US in droves for decades. Some legal, most underground, but the hysteria has only escalated since November, 2016. Norwegians have been particularly stealthy in their desperate journeys.

They are desperate to get out of the Third World **** holes they live in. Destination? Trump's America. Mass exodus out of Europe. It's been all over the news 24/7. Hundreds of thousands of them. Millions expected by 2030, in fact. -- Six weeks of vacation time to spend with family is for losers, anyway!

Because, of course, the world is reeling with envy at the intellect and charisma of our leader. Other world leaders idolize him. Women want him; men want to be like him (well, they want him, too, but they'll never admit it in a million years, but, whatever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
In Norway, you'll pay $23 for a single meal of Big Mac, soda and fries.
OMG! No wonder they're all so fat and unhealthy! Can't afford nutritious food!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, I see, this comes from a case of TDS. Reduced mental capacity is a symptom.
Yep. That's what it is. Reduced mental capacity. Ya got me.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
In Norway, you'll pay $23 for a single meal of Big Mac, soda and fries.
And the crazy thing is, they can afford it. To them, visiting the US is like Americans visiting Mexico and finding their dollar goes waaaaay arther than it goes back home.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM

183 posts, read 103,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm not worried.

I'm secure enough in my identity to not feel threatened by those who are different. I live in a county where whites are not the majority.

My ancestors (and probably yours) immigrated to this country when their homelands in Europe were "****holes" in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Folks who were already here panicked and warned of a "takeover" that would lead to the ultimate collapse of American society too.
You live in chapel Hill, a very white upper middle class southern college town where a lot of homes start at a million dollars and most average over half a million? I wonder if all the politicians and media and everyone condemning trump and his supporters for racism really live very diverse lives ?

Judging from the majority white neighborhoods libs live in , white schools etc they send their kids to , I doubt they come into contact with alot of Haitian and el salvadoran refugeees.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post

Judging from the majority white neighborhoods libs live in , white schools etc they send their kids to , I doubt they come into contact with alot of Haitian and el salvadoran refugeees.
Ever heard of New York? San Francisco? London? Paris? Toronto? Montreal? DC? Heck, Nashville!?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're right. You are so much more intelligent than I and know so much more about immigration than does the Pew Research Center, etc.

That data? All lies. The truth, that no one, least of all the Scandinavians, wants to admit, is that the Europeans have been flooding to the US in droves for decades. Some legal, most underground, but the hysteria has only escalated since November, 2016. Norwegians have been particularly stealthy in their desperate journeys.

They are desperate to get out of the Third World **** holes they live in. Destination? Trump's America. Mass exodus out of Europe. It's been all over the news 24/7. Hundreds of thousands of them. Millions expected by 2030, in fact. -- Six weeks of vacation time to spend with family is for losers, anyway!

Because, of course, the world is reeling with envy at the intellect and charisma of our leader. Other world leaders idolize him. Women want him; men want to be like him (well, they want him, too, but they'll never admit it in a million years, but, whatever).
Please quote the data in any of those showing a drop in Norway immigration to the US in recent years that doesn’t follow a comparable trend to other nonregional first world countries.

Let’s see it.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
With the same income, all Scandinavians would be richer in America...so your statement is FALSE.

The confiscatory taxes in Scandinavian countries guarantee that.
No, they don't. The confiscatory taxes in Scandinavian countries guarantee a COLLEGE EDUCATION with NO DEBT - and worry-free life if one has children. No worries about paying for college. It's built into the system. No worries about medical insurance. No worries about retirement - it's built into the system.

Of course, having been educated in their countries essentially for "free" they now come here and possibly pay lower taxes - only IF they find employer-subsidized health care and a pension plan.

Otherwise, the premiums, deductibles, balance billing and network nightmares of our obscene and ridiculous health care system renders the so-called "tax savings" moot - not to mention these people will need to save/invest a much greater percentage of their income for retirement.

Outlined in excellent detailed earlier upthread, here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50680776-post28.html

In the end, dollar for dollar, it's unlikely the average worker from Norway is further ahead. Highly-paid professional, possibly. But, a talented skilled professional would do well in any first-world European country.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-13-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
With all due respect, if I'm pretending, so are you. You're pretending that those differences we mention between Europe (Canada, Australia, New Zealand) and the US are figments of our imagination, or that we're embellishing them, or perhaps that they're only projections of our "disrespect." But the differences we talk about are REAL. Tangible. Objective. They're important. They're PUBLIC POLICY. Not opinion. Not "dissing." Fact. Notice we didn't get into comparisons that are strictly cultural.

You're pretending that you don't know Trump isn't well-liked outside of the US. That we're making that up, too. Unfortunately, you will all just have to accept that most of the rest of the world, especially the advanced world, just isn't that into him. Please also understand that I'm being very sensitive and respectful by phrasing it that way.

You're pretending that you don't know that, whenever American moderates and liberals make perfectly legitimate and heartfelt complaints about what they see happening in their country, Trumpsters' typical refrain is -- what? --"Stupid libta*d!" "Snowflake!" etc.

Trumpsters routinely act like Trump critics are idiots and try to pretend that valid, intelligent, reasonable concern about Trump's policies and behavior are somehow only about "libtar*s" not liking what Trump and/or his supporters say, or about "snowflakes" needing a "safe space," etc. Don't pretend you don't see Trumpsters pulling this kind of dismissal, deflection, "dissing," etc all over CD.
Do you intentionally miss the point? You are getting more and more off topic.

I am not doing any pretending. I am pointing out that all this talk, this entire thread and similar conversations in the media and on social media, is irrelevant because what Trump said has been taken out of context. It doesn't matter whether people from Norway want to come here or do come here. That wasn't his point. Technically we don't even KNOW what exactly he said because this is a "someone who heard Trump told me he said this" situation. But it seems he was making a comment about immigration policy and the types of countries he would like to see more immigrants come from, based on socioeconomic status. All this BS in this thread and elsewhere is off topic crap.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Best post of the thread!
Worst post of the thread, what actually is wrong with you?

None of that crap she said had anything to do with what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies