Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, they don't. The confiscatory taxes in Scandinavian countries guarantee a COLLEGE EDUCATION with NO DEBT - and worry-free life if one has children. No worries about paying for college. It's built into the system. No worries about medical insurance. No worries about retirement - it's built into the system.

Of course, having been educated in their countries essentially for "free" they now come here and possibly pay lower taxes - only IF they find employer-subsidized health care and a pension plan.

Otherwise, the premiums, deductibles, balance billing and network nightmares of our obscene and ridiculous health care system renders the so-called "tax savings" moot - not to mention these people will need to save/invest a much greater percentage of their income for retirement.

In the end, dollar for dollar, it's unlikely the average worker from Norway is further ahead. Highly-paid professional, possibly. But, a talented skilled professional would do well in any first-world European country.
Norway had the luck of being close to enormous oil fields in the North Sea. They then had the smarts to, instead of just giving away the profits, invest the profits in all sorts of capitalist opportunities to build a monster portfolio that has grown like crazy.

This is one of the reasons why they can have such great benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:17 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Please quote the data in any of those showing a drop in Norway immigration to the US in recent years that doesn’t follow a comparable trend to other nonregional first world countries.

Let’s see it.
Look, dude. All I've said is that a its small number of Europeans who emigrate from Europe, and that a relatively small number come to the US. You want specific numbers like that, look it up yourself.

Do you try to provoke male posters like this? Would you speak like this IRL to a big, burly guy who makes the same factual statements I have? Nah! You wouldn't dare!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM

183 posts, read 103,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Ever heard of New York? San Francisco? London? Paris? Toronto? Montreal? DC? Heck, Nashville!?
Oh you mean the nyc where white kids make up around 15% of public schools and has class disparity as bad as sub Saharan Africa ? San francisco ,LA, where white kids are 12-15% of the public schools ? DC is not even double digits

If you live in a diverse neighborhood in a city , great but many don’t and they certainly haven’t sent their kids to schools with a lot of third world diversity ?

Your neighborhood has a lot of Haitians, people from El Salvador , Liberia,etc ?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
In Norway, you'll pay $23 for a single meal of Big Mac, soda and fries.
There's more to life than cheeseburgers and pop.

No one's dying of starvation there. No one's going bankrupt from their grocery bill.

But plenty of people in the US die/go bankrupt from being unable to obtain necessary medical care.

But hey, at least there are cheap cheeseburgers.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you intentionally miss the point? You are getting more and more off topic.

I am not doing any pretending. I am pointing out that all this talk, this entire thread and similar conversations in the media and on social media, is irrelevant because what Trump said has been taken out of context. It doesn't matter whether people from Norway want to come here or do come here. That wasn't his point. Technically we don't even KNOW what exactly he said because this is a "someone who heard Trump told me he said this" situation. But it seems he was making a comment about immigration policy and the types of countries he would like to see more immigrants come from, based on socioeconomic status. All this BS in this thread and elsewhere is off topic crap.
* Sigh*

I don't follow most of what Trump says, other than what passes through my Facebook feed. I make a conscious effort not to. Because of FB, though, I know he said something about Norwegian immigrants. I don't know what, exactly (I'm sure it was brilliant, though).

But I noticed that, suddenly, there are a number of threads about Norway and Norwegians and Norwegian immigrants on CD. I'm not as active as some on CD, but I enjoy participating occasionally. I like to hear opinions different from my own. Anyway, I decided to respond to one of those threads whose subject kind of interested me -- this one. That's all I know.

I don't know what Trump's point was. I don't care. Nor do I care about what most media -- "liberal" or "conservative" says about he says. I don't care what he says about they said about what he said. I don't care about what they say about what he said about what they said about what he said. I. Don't. Care. There's a good reason why I rarely watch TV.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
* Sigh*

I don't follow most of what Trump says, other than what passes through my Facebook feed. I make a conscious effort not to. Because of FB, though, I know he said something about Norwegian immigrants. I don't know what, exactly (I'm sure it was brilliant, though).

But I noticed that, suddenly, there are a number of threads about Norway and Norwegians and Norwegian immigrants on CD. I'm not as active as some on CD, but I enjoy participating occasionally. I like to hear opinions different from my own. Anyway, I decided to respond to one of those threads whose subject kind of interested me -- this one. That's all I know.

I don't know what Trump's point was. I don't care. Nor do I care about what most media -- "liberal" or "conservative" says about he says. I don't care what he says about they said about what he said. I don't care about what they say about what he saud about what they said about what he said. I. Don't. Care. There's a good reason why I rarely watch TV.
What are YOU sighing for?

So you admit that you have basically no idea the context behind this thread and why I have said what I said? This is RICH.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 6,074 times
America would probably be a downgrade from Norway.

America is trashy. Big ugly house, ugly trucks, bad public transport, dirty cities, strip mall, terrible food, many obnoxious men with crazy politic and a crap healthcare system.

Why would someone leave Norway for this nonsense? Maybe only for love or very exclusive job offer.

Norway is clean and beautiful.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM

343 posts, read 307,181 times
Large parts of places like West Virginia and San Antonio are by consensus places with a low quality of life and they have a very low foreign born population, just food for thought.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What are YOU sighing for?

So you admit that you have basically no idea the context behind this thread and why I have said what I said? This is RICH.

LOL. Are you, like, the COO of CD? I didn't realize the rules were that specific.

Like I said, I have a vague idea of what he said, but, no, I haven't followed it. So, sue me. I liked the topic of this thread, and though I figured it was associated with his comment, it doesn't mention Trump directly. I tend to avoid those.

Do you always find it "rich" when someone, in your opinion, fails to adequately keep up with the neverending circus of American politics? If I kept up with all the manufactured drama from both sides, not only would I do little else, but I'd be perennially pi$$ed off, like lots of other people are. No, thanks. Sometimes, a certain level of ignorance really is bliss.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 PM

183 posts, read 103,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Places like West Virginia and San Antonio are by consensus places with a low quality of life and they have a very low foreign born population, just food for thought.
? San Antonio is 63% Hispanic and I have never heard anything but good things about the river walk the food etc , West Virginia is a gorgeous state but has declined with coal mining and has all of around 1.8 million residents, less than my metro area .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies