Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Many immigrants end up working on roofs much taller than that on a daily basis once they get into the US with no problem at all. And they climb ladders to get there while carrying tools and supplies. This story is absolute BS.
OMG, we have trained them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
This wall is a total waste of money.

MOST drugs come into the US via water or air, NOT land.
MOST illegals here are OVERSTAYS....they come into the US legally by air, sea or land with a limited time visa, but stay beyond its expiration date.

Tell me again how a WALL stops either of these.

I agree, the drug dealers have submarines, how will the wall stop that, the drug dealers are the ones we should be focusing on stopping. Plus there is a huge influx of illegal CHinese, they also come by sea & air. But all the Trumpers can blather on about is a wall with Mexico. The Chinese take away many construction jobs in California & the workers are treated horribly. But they are not Mexican, so I guess that is OK.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH do visa over stayers have to do with border jumpers and how we have to deal with both problems in a different way? Why would you ignore one of those problems? By your own stats you are admitting that at least 50% of illegals coming here are border jumpers.
what they have to do with it is that very few people are crossing the land border from Mexico anymore, it's down from 1.7 million a year to 170,000 in 2016. Most people are now either overstaying visas or coming in in vehicles or shipping containers through one of our 328 ports of entry. It seems to me that the logical thing to do is deploy your resources where they would do the most good

Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I love how these NeverTrumpers think all you need to climb a 30 foot wall is a 30 foot ladder.
I love the keyboard warriors acting as if 30 foot of wall is insurmountable. Walled cities predate written history - how to scale walls is one of the most thoroughly solved problems in humanity.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Considering how short people south of the border are, it would be even harder for them. I just wish there were videos posted of these tests. I will email the White House to suggest it. If you agree, do it, too. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

US Commandos Unable To Scale Border Wall | The Daily Caller
What's stopping them from just digging tunnels, underneath the wall? Or just taking a boat or even flying over in a parachute?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, the drug dealers have submarines...........
Now why would that be?
Might it be because the reinforcements at the border are actually working? Or do you think Pablo & Co. just wanted to play "Capitan Nemo"?

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hmm. Does anyone know any Mexican TV producers? Because a Junkyard Wars style reality show with teams competing to scale a 30-ft wall with stuff they have laying around could probably capture quite an audience.

Seriously, is anyone here willing to own up to not being able to get over that with 2x4s, hammer & nails, and a length of rope? Throw in a climbing harness for the deluxe version.
I think it would work great on US television. Create a show that features two teams - one comprised of badass US Special Forces soldiers, the other a group of 50 year old actuaries or nurses. First team over the 30ft wall gets $1,000,000. Does anyone still think that not a single US solider could do it?

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A tall ladder or tunnel will easily defeat this unconscionable waste of money - unless of course Mexico is paying - but wait a minute they're not!

Also how does this deal with the 40-50% of illegals that come in via plane and just overstay their visas?

Will wait for answer.
If there's a will there's a way. I have no doubt the wall can be compromised. Nothing is perfect. But it sure will help mitigate the illegal crossings south of the border. A combination of a wall, drones, high tech sensors, and extra boots on the ground will definitely help.

I believe, from different sources Ive read, illegal immigration is costing American tax payers 135 billion dollars a year, 16 billion a year in incarceration alone, while illegal immigration only contribute 17 billion to our economy. So, in the grand scheme of things, 18 billion for the wall and extra border security is "crumbs", as Nancy Pelosi would say.

Visa over-stayers arent the same as illegal boarder crossings; these people are entering the US legally, and the government know who they are.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The AP report is hilarious. "Testers also expressed safety concerns about getting down from 30 feet." Mmm-hm. US special forces. 30 feet. Safety concerns.

If you ever had any doubt that this is a project designed to appeal to stupid people, that right there should provide a hint.
I find it hard to believe that article did not come from The Onion. The same troops that can float down a rope from a hovering helicopter in full gear under heavy fire can't climb a 30 foot ladder.

I should let the guy that cleans my gutters know about this test. He could probably do it blindfolded after drinking a 12 pack of Bud.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If there's a will there's a way. I have no doubt the wall can be compromised. Nothing is perfect. But it sure will help mitigate the illegal crossings south of the border. A combination of a wall, drones, high tech sensors, and extra boots on the ground will definitely help.

I believe, from different sources Ive read, illegal immigration is costing American tax payers 135 billion dollars a year, 16 billion a year in incarceration alone, while illegal immigration only contribute 17 billion to our economy. So, in the grand scheme of things, 18 billion for the wall and extra border security is "crumbs", as Nancy Pelosi would say.

Visa over-stayers arent the same as illegal boarder crossings; these people are entering the US legally, and the government know who they are.
Mmmm so if the government knows who they are, why are they still here for years? Why isn’t much of anything being done about this seemingly easy group to round up and cut down on use of resources? Clean up that problem first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies