Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times

Advertisements

Look, just to sum up. If a person lays a hand on your kid it's on.

Prevent this:

1) take the little demon outside the store.
2) smile at those in line, who doesn't understand a kid acting out.
3) offer options for the child the next time, e.g. do you want to go out side with grandma and stay in line with me, In line you must behave yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Look, just to sum up. If a person lays a hand on your kid it's on.

Prevent this:

1) take the little demon outside the store.
2) smile at those in line, who doesn't understand a kid acting out.
3) offer options for the child the next time, e.g. do you want to go out side with grandma and stay in line with me, In line you must behave yourself.
Number three is a laughable empty threat unless you actually have the option of leaving the child with grandma, dad, babysitter, etc. Not too many people enjoy grocery shopping with children at certain stages, but it’s a necessary evil at times. Nevertheless, here are my kid-tested preventives:

1. Kid-sized shopping cart (used at a time when stores aren’t too busy); my older two were usually so engrossed with that, I usually didn’t hear a peep out of them. The youngest? No way. He had to be discretely nursed the entire time. Unlatching just long enough to bag said groceries.

2. Have an enticing snack in my purse for the check-out line. I don’t know who thought of having candy racks at toddler-level, but when they started to beg, and were past the gullible stage of believing that the candy belonged to the store, I swiftly produced a chocolate chip granola bar from on my purse. Disaster averted.

3. Do as much shopping as possible at the produce market. It’s amazing how excited kids get over heirloom tomatoes, whole calabash, and tofu noodles. Wanna kvetch over a $3.00 tamarind and a loaf of Portuguese bread? Great, throw it in the cart.

4. Amazon Prime, PeaPod, Josefina’s. Kids are thrilled to give a tip to the deliveryman.

5. If we’re already on line, F-@ck off. We’re in the home stretch, and there’s no flipping way I’m going to leave a cart full of groceries because some crank is offended by crying. Children are a part of society; get over it and save your pearl-clutching for the adults who haven’t yet learned how to behave in the store.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
If anyone is going to spank my kids.... it will be me

You have the balls to touch my kid in front of me, be prepared to be throat punched

Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And you along with all the others who voice your opinion have never met every child now have you? I just love people who make blanket statements based solely on their opinions.
There are kids and adults for that matter that don't respond to discussion,time outs (jail) or any other non-physical deterrents.
Sometimes it takes "getting to the bottom of the problem" to cease a behavior. Before anyone flips out or starts berating me I'm NOT talking about beating a kid, hitting anywhere but the butt and with nothing more than an open hand and certainly never by a stranger.

Given that this thread is not a thread on "should you spank" which really brings out the nuts on both sides I'll leave this to end right here.

I would say that the drunk Mexican involved has obviously not learned in the last 50 times of being dealt with by LEO's then maybe, just maybe receiving a beating THIS time might have made a lasting impression that talking and time outs (jail) have not...
Yes, I'm a nut because I replied to others' comments which were pro-spanking. Funny how you didn't give them a hard time for their posts, asking if they met every child, isn't it?

Regardless, I don't need to meet every child to believe that physical punishment is waste of time at best and abusive at worst.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
So all respect but the first time a kid breaks away from you on a busy city street what do you do? Harsh language?
This happened with both of my kids when they were younger. Yep, an extremely firm tone of voice, conveying how upset I really was (not sugarcoating) and punishment.

When you don't yell at your kid over every little thing, the times you DO yell actually mean something.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
It would have been very hard for me not to have gone to jail on that man.

And for the coroner to have to had to clean up the old man with a spatula.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Once, when my son was about 8, I took him out to a local park here in Japan for some batting practice. I was pitching tennis balls so as not to hurt anyone with a stray fly, but there was hardly anyone around anyway. The kid got a good hit and sent the ball over the fence behind us and onto some tennis courts. Nobody was there, so we just left the ball where is was and kept playing, intending to pick up all the balls when we finished. Around that time an old man appeared on the hillside and started yelling at my son, scolding him for hitting the ball over the fence and demanding that he run over immediately to pick it up. He said nothing to me.

Being an obedient kid, my son started to run over but I told him to stop, that he didn't need to obey this random guy who was telling him what to do. A couple minutes later the old man started yelling again. I walked over towards him, glaring. He got a really scared look on his face and started backing away, apologizing. Afterward I wondered if I had done the right thing teaching my kid that he can sometimes ignore orders from adults. I know that in Japan, especially with older people, it's normal to instruct the local children when they're outside playing in the neighborhood. But this particular guy seemed kind of nuts, probably suffering from a little dementia...

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Believe it or not - there are kids who simply are not going to 'break away from you on a busy street'. There are kids who don't get into everything when they are toddlers.

And then there are those that do.

One must know their child.
Don't talk down to him - you completely missed his point! If a child breaks away from those who are nonviolent and puts themselves and others in danger what do you do? Talk to them? - answer the questions - quit skirting them.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Number three is a laughable empty threat unless you actually have the option of leaving the child with grandma, dad, babysitter, etc. Not too many people enjoy grocery shopping with children at certain stages, but it’s a necessary evil at times. Nevertheless, here are my kid-tested preventives:

1. Kid-sized shopping cart (used at a time when stores aren’t too busy); my older two were usually so engrossed with that, I usually didn’t hear a peep out of them. The youngest? No way. He had to be discretely nursed the entire time. Unlatching just long enough to bag said groceries.

2. Have an enticing snack in my purse for the check-out line. I don’t know who thought of having candy racks at toddler-level, but when they started to beg, and were past the gullible stage of believing that the candy belonged to the store, I swiftly produced a chocolate chip granola bar from on my purse. Disaster averted.

3. Do as much shopping as possible at the produce market. It’s amazing how excited kids get over heirloom tomatoes, whole calabash, and tofu noodles. Wanna kvetch over a $3.00 tamarind and a loaf of Portuguese bread? Great, throw it in the cart.

4. Amazon Prime, PeaPod, Josefina’s. Kids are thrilled to give a tip to the deliveryman.

5. If we’re already on line, F-@ck off. We’re in the home stretch, and there’s no flipping way I’m going to leave a cart full of groceries because some crank is offended by crying. Children are a part of society; get over it and save your pearl-clutching for the adults who haven’t yet learned how to behave in the store.
Maybe it's your kids who have to learn how to behave in a store - not those of us who have already raised ours with decency and respect!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Maybe it's your kids who have to learn how to behave in a store - not those of us who have already raised ours with decency and respect!
My kids behaved just fine in the store. The middle one pitch a fit one time, but other than that, I can’t remember any incidents. Doesn’t mean I can’t empathize with others, or recognize that not all kids are as mellow as mine were at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies