Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Really so it went from spanking to a beating now?

The man was wrong is touching another's child - but I must be one of those trashy whites as did my kids receive an occasional spanking if they misbehaved - you bet ya and it didn't ruin their psych!

That child was misbehaving - I don't care how old they are - there was the father and grandmother - one of them pick up the child and take him outside the store - plain and simple. He's then told if he can't behave - he's no longer going to come shopping with them.

Believe me - it only takes a couple of times and the kid gets it. I really am sick of seeing children misbehave in public and the parents do nothing. A child in front of me at the grocery store was creating a scene while her mom was checking out. Grabbing candy and throwing it around. The mom is asking her to stop - to no avail - then the kid smacks her! I had enough and spoke up and told her that you never hit your mother - shocked the heck out of her - but she calmed down as she was embarrassed someone other than her mom would yell at her.
Good for you, but I'm surprised the mother didn't start something with you by saying (in less articulate terms), "How dare you say anything to my cute little baby, who could do no wrong?!, or "I'm the one who decides when she does something wrong." Or start some other rude altercation. And while I know the stores don't want to offend customers, I think sometimes they just need to tell people they can't be behaving like that in the store, so the customers don't have to be the ones in the awkward position of deciding whether to do it or not. And the employees need to be empowered to tell people "Come on, let's act a little more appropriate here, or you're going to need to leave."

I know they're afraid of people criticizing them (especially nowadays with people talking trash on social media), but in the end, who cares? The people who would be trashing the store (literally and verbally) for expecting people to have a few manners in public aren't really the customers the stores would want anyway, and are probably the ones who are accounting for the store's shrinkage (shoplifting), littering, parking in the fire lanes, etc., so good riddance! I know they can't do that for every little annoying behavior, but sometimes things are allowed to get out of hand with trashy customers.

One note to add, before I get fussed at by keyboard warriors, the situation that happened with you is totally different than what the OP mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
So let me ask all the pro gun people ,the ones that think they have the right to do anything. This happens to you child or your grandchild do you pull your gun?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Really so it went from spanking to a beating now?
A spanking is a kind of beating, obviously... not to say that it's always wrong. So yes, the Mexican man was beating the child.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I've rarely spanked my kids and when I did it was because *I* lost control. It was NOT discipline. I don't agree one needs to use physical punishment to discipline a child.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So let me ask all the pro gun people ,the ones that think they have the right to do anything. This happens to you child or your grandchild do you pull your gun?
Judging from some of the comments, I would bet the answer would be "yes." And with the kind of example that's being set, it's not a far cry to think their children and grandchildren will be involved in and perpetuate violent altercations themselves since that is the way they've been taught to handle conflicts, to take it straight to that level.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 AM

37,229 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I would would step between them and tell him to keep his hands off my kid but then I have self control and logic.
Michael Dukakis would agree with you.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've rarely spanked my kids and when I did it was because *I* lost control. It was NOT discipline. I don't agree one needs to use physical punishment to discipline a child.
And you along with all the others who voice your opinion have never met every child now have you? I just love people who make blanket statements based solely on their opinions.
There are kids and adults for that matter that don't respond to discussion,time outs (jail) or any other non-physical deterrents.
Sometimes it takes "getting to the bottom of the problem" to cease a behavior. Before anyone flips out or starts berating me I'm NOT talking about beating a kid, hitting anywhere but the butt and with nothing more than an open hand and certainly never by a stranger.

Given that this thread is not a thread on "should you spank" which really brings out the nuts on both sides I'll leave this to end right here.

I would say that the drunk Mexican involved has obviously not learned in the last 50 times of being dealt with by LEO's then maybe, just maybe receiving a beating THIS time might have made a lasting impression that talking and time outs (jail) have not...

Old 02-11-2018, 08:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So all respect but the first time a kid breaks away from you on a busy city street what do you do? Harsh language?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Evidently you are ruled by emotions. This is not a homicidal maniac trying to execute children in a grocery store. It was an old drunk Mexican. Even a female could easily protect her child from a short old drunk. The cops were called and this guy was arrested. If his father assaulted the guy he would run the risk of being arrested along with the old man and THAT would be more traumatizing to the toddler to watch his daddy be hauled off in the back of a cop car. That might just be another Friday night for some posters hence the fantasies of retribution.

If you consider protecting your toddler from being hit by a stranger as emotional, then so be it. Society has so neutered and wimpified some people that they admit they wouldn't even take steps to deal with a stranger assaulting their kid, but would depend on others to do so for them.

At least in Texas, I would not get arrested for defending my kid from a physical attack. Maybe in states where enough people think like you seem to, but not here.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I dunno, Id like to hear the other side before commenting
There is no other side. No one has a right to spank a stranger’s child. They can be upset that the parent didn’t discipline the child, but they cannot take the matter into their own hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies