Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM

23,598 posts, read 12,543,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[/b]
You're being disingenuous.

A majority of the kids are accounted for and are with parents or family members, true. But there's a substantial minority who cannot be found. Crummy, inadequate record keeping. At least two dozen children were found to have been trafficked - enslaved for labor or for sex. A few older kids ran away and are missing.

None of which would have been likely to occur, had the children been left with their parents or family members. Certainly over 1,500 children would not be missing.
As for the very first part that you'd bolded, the person I was responding to said it was unAmerican to break up families, when it happens numerous times every single day.

As for the second part, it is known that there are many who claim to be parents or relatives, when in fact they are traffickers. Perhaps those traffickers pretended to be parents or relatives and the kids were placed with them. Traffickers or not, those are the people who need to be question as to where the kids are.

Also, in one of your previous posts you talk about your relatives coming here and ending up in a colony .. how many people in this country during those times compared to today? Naturally people would have been soundly welcomed back then, since this country was fairly empty of people. Still, I'm sure there had been some that were sent away. Plus, during the Ellis Island immigration, people were denied entry. If the person didn't pass immigration standards they were sent back. And, we had a quota of how many from any one place could come in, if the quota was met then all other arrivals were sent back.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Those claiming that this is entirely legal and that parents bringing their children here are breaking the law overlook the fact that the vast majority of such parents are seeking asylum - they are refugees.

And that is entirely legal, no matter how many other countries they may have passed through en route to the United States. They are breaking no laws by seeking asylum - there is a legal procedure in place for this. Tearing their children from them is illegal as well as cruel, and I expect there will be court cases very shortly, with lawyers lined up for pro bono representation of these bereaved parents.

My English ancestors who came here for religious and economic reasons might have been termed refugees, as they had left their native England for Holland before coming to the Virginia Colony. Just as did my French Huguenot ancestors, who were persecuted in their native France, immigrated first to England, but disliked seeing their children grow up English rather than French, so left for a new life of their own making, also in Colonial Virginia. In both cases, my ancestors did not come directly from their home countries, but took more circuitous routes. Fortunately for them and for their descendants, they did not lose custody of their children just by entering America. Instead, they were welcomed and assisted by earlier arrivals, despite cultural, linguistic, and religious differences.

My, how things have changed. Maybe we ought to Make America Great Britain Again, after all.
Per the bolded --- Wrong.

https://cis.org/Cadman/Why-Shouldnt-...-Asylum-Mexico

From the link:

Mexico has an affirmative obligation to accept and make a judgment about the Hondurans' claims to asylum because it, too, is a signatory to the U.N. Convention. Just as surely, the aliens themselves had an affirmative obligation to seek safe haven there. Consider that San Diego ports of entry are on the extreme west coast of the continent, whereas Honduras sits considerably east and south. A quick look at a map shows that this family spent considerable time traversing nearly the whole of Mexico and had plenty of time and opportunity to seek out Mexican officials to seek asylum. That they didn't do so is notable.
--------------------------------------------

You can't compare what happened hundreds of years ago to what is happening now. When your ancestors came here, there was no US and thus, no immigration laws.

You can't even compare what happened 100 years ago to what is happening today. 100 years ago, we had plenty of room to take in people. Plus we were an agrarian and industrial society. Back then, people (both Americans and immigrants) were often illiterate but were able to make a living and take care of their families. There was no welfare then. For everybody, it was sink or swim.

You want open borders and want this country to be flooded with third world immigrants who are functionally illiterate. These people are a drain on society and take far, far more than they give.

Have you opened your home to illegal aliens and offered to feed, clothe and shelter them at your own expense? If not, then it is time to put your money where your mouth is.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Shrug, American children are separated from unfit parents every day. These border crossings are often a very dangerous endeavor. If these illegals loved their children, then perhaps they shouldn't be endangering them. Criminals all have one thing in common. A complete lack of respect for laws. That is unless they can manipulate it to their own benefit.
When your hungry, you think f* all about laws. Not excusing them. But reality doesn't really care about laws. If someone's life is screwed up, they're gonna find a way out by any means.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"Sophie's Choice" comes to America. How ****ing charming.
^^^^Pure nonsense.

Have you opened your home to illegal aliens? And are you feeding, clothing and sheltering them at your own expense?

To compare what happened during the Holocaust to what is happening with these illegals, is despicable.

You obviously have no idea as to what happened during the Holocaust. Educate yourself before you invoke Godwin's Law again.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
When your hungry, you think f* all about laws. Not excusing them. But reality doesn't really care about laws. If someone's life is screwed up, they're gonna find a way out by any means.
Look at those illegals. None of them are starving. If they were starving, they wouldn't have made it to this country as they would have been too weak and no doubt would have died along the way.

If they were really desperate, they should have asked for asylum in Mexico. Of course the vast majority didn't do that. We all know that they wanted to come to the US for all the freebies --- freebies that increase once they birth an anchor baby.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A nice tall wall will keep them together in the nation they are legally allowed in.
Agreed. I'm sick and tired of left wing guilt trips conning people into going against protecting our borders. Illegal still means not legal in 2018. Nothing can change that.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
As for the very first part that you'd bolded, the person I was responding to said it was unAmerican to break up families, when it happens numerous times every single day.

As for the second part, it is known that there are many who claim to be parents or relatives, when in fact they are traffickers. Perhaps those traffickers pretended to be parents or relatives and the kids were placed with them. Traffickers or not, those are the people who need to be question as to where the kids are.

Also, in one of your previous posts you talk about your relatives coming here and ending up in a colony .. how many people in this country during those times compared to today? Naturally people would have been soundly welcomed back then, since this country was fairly empty of people. Still, I'm sure there had been some that were sent away. Plus, during the Ellis Island immigration, people were denied entry. If the person didn't pass immigration standards they were sent back. And, we had a quota of how many from any one place could come in, if the quota was met then all other arrivals were sent back.
As for determining relationships, DNA tests are quick and easy these days. They should be standard if there is a question about a child's parentage or identity at the border.

People were turned back from Elliis Island if they had communicable diseases or criminal records. They were also refused if they had disabilities. Are you suggesting that we should still adhere to the immigration practices of over 100 years ago? Haven't we learned a few things?

As for my early American and colonial ancestors, sure, the country was more lightly inhabited back then. But my French Huguenot ancestors who fled France for a series of other countries to escape severe religious persecution, ultimately winding up in Colonial Virginia (at ManakinTown) were penniless, didn't speak the language, had large families with small kids, were Calvinists, not Anglicans, and arrived in December, 1700, too late to plant crops. They were hardly ideal new American colonists.

Thankfully, the earlier arrivals from Williamsburg (who were mostly of English background) lent helping hands - each well-off family from Bruton Parish Church "adopted" a Huguenot family, and contributed to their well-being for the first few years until they could get on their feet and become self-supporting, rather than tossing them all into debtor's prison or turning them into indentured servants.

Those early Virginians were far more compassionate than many posters here seem to be, when it comes to helping newcomers who have made long, difficult and dangerous journeys, who don't speak English, have cultural differences, and who don't worship as do the majority...

In fact, those Bruton Parishioners embodied the Hands of Christ in the World. They fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and helped widows and orphans and the poor. I think they would be shocked and dismayed at what's going on with today's refugees and asylum seekers, and I think they would condemn it and those who advocate such cruelties in the name of patriotism.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Pure nonsense.

Have you opened your home to illegal aliens? And are you feeding, clothing and sheltering them at your own expense?

To compare what happened during the Holocaust to what is happening with these illegals, is despicable.

You obviously have no idea as to what happened during the Holocaust. Educate yourself before you invoke Godwin's Law again.
Separating mothers from their children is unadulterated pure Nazi bull-****. Your not recognizing that is pathetic! There is nothing about the Holocaust that as a Jewish person of Eastern European descent that I am not fully aware of, so go preach your condescending BS elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Should there be criminal tiers? Like crime of survival or something?

No. Our borders are too precious to excuse those entering illegally, for any reason. Apply for asylum from the nation you are legally entitled to be in. Do not invade on your own another nation.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Wrong.

https://cis.org/Cadman/Why-Shouldnt-...-Asylum-Mexico

From the link:

Mexico has an affirmative obligation to accept and make a judgment about the Hondurans' claims to asylum because it, too, is a signatory to the U.N. Convention. Just as surely, the aliens themselves had an affirmative obligation to seek safe haven there. Consider that San Diego ports of entry are on the extreme west coast of the continent, whereas Honduras sits considerably east and south. A quick look at a map shows that this family spent considerable time traversing nearly the whole of Mexico and had plenty of time and opportunity to seek out Mexican officials to seek asylum. That they didn't do so is notable.
--------------------------------------------

You can't compare what happened hundreds of years ago to what is happening now. When your ancestors came here, there was no US and thus, no immigration laws.

You can't even compare what happened 100 years ago to what is happening today. 100 years ago, we had plenty of room to take in people. Plus we were an agrarian and industrial society. Back then, people (both Americans and immigrants) were often illiterate but were able to make a living and take care of their families. There was no welfare then. For everybody, it was sink or swim.

You want open borders and want this country to be flooded with third world immigrants who are functionally illiterate. These people are a drain on society and take far, far more than they give.

Have you opened your home to illegal aliens and offered to feed, clothe and shelter them at your own expense? If not, then it is time to put your money where your mouth is.

You have no idea what I want. It's not open borders or flooding the country - it's humane, decent treatment for the innocent, and these children are innocent by anyone's measure.

As for feeding and clothing and housing the needy, yes, I have done all three. Not these particular people, but orphans in Eastern Europe. My home is considerably off the beaten path for homeless refugees, but I try to help people in need when I have a way to do so. How about you?

I just today saw photos online of a studio apartment I recently financially helped a small Christian charity renovate for a young married couple, both orphanage "graduates", with three small children. Previously, their living conditions were terrible: cramped, shabby, run-down, broken utilities, bad wiring...all they could find and afford. Now, thanks to helping hands and their own labor, they have a clean, bright and functional home, with practical built-in furnishings. The young mother cried with joy at the fulfilling of a dream she had cherished, but had never expected to experience in reality.

I've sent multiple boxes of children's and teens' clothing to the same wonderful charity, which serves over 1,000 children living in ten different orphanages: socks, shoes, coats, sweaters, pajamas, and more.

Feeding the hungry? Yes, I've done that too, via my church's Missions Committee on which I have served for several years, as well as through local food banks and financial contributions.

So don't rush to judgement about me or other posters here about whom you know very little. I try to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

After all, if others hadn't assisted my own refugee ancestors all those years ago, I'd be unlikely to be here today, so I'm passing it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies