Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Federal and State laws, if they care, need to also look at the severity of incarcerations. Violent criminals? I'm pretty OK with just about throwing away the key. Non-violent crimes? Time to look at reassessing as the current situation is not working.
You did not answer the question; if the person knows what they are doing is illegal, then why are they doing it if they know it may result in going to jail? Exactly what non-violent crimes should never result in jail time?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is effectively being done to punish people without the rule of law. IE pre-emptively.

We have people who have had their children taken from them while they are seeking asylum who WILL end up being US citizens....but who we punished without proper judicial review.

We have throughout decades said that family unity was important. To toss it away is a decision based on hatred and fear, not logic. Deport those we need to deport, but separating families is cruel and stupid.
Then don't come here. Simple.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Nothing. The immorality is splitting children from parents. Other countries seem to be able to deal with this, but the USA can't? Other countries, like Jordan, not a Christian nation, but a Muslim one. Other countries like Canada, not a Christian nation, but secular one.

Wonder why the USA can't figure out how to be compassionate? Religion perhaps? Or something else?

What you aren't getting is Sessions is telling these families up front that if they come here and try to crash our borders they may be separated from their kids. If they do it anyway who's really at fault here? It's their own choice if they do it anyway.

Where is your compassion for the American families that are having to bear the brunt of all these foreigners coming here illegally or trying to claim asylum? None, nada, zilch! We send billions to foreign lands to aid their poor and needy but we're not compassionate unless we commit national suicide by allowing them to all come here instead? Liberals do live in a bizzaro world.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You did not answer the question; if the person knows what they are doing is illegal, then why are they doing it if they know it may result in going to jail? Exactly what non-violent crimes should never result in jail time?
There is no drug possession charges (for personal use) that should end up in jail. Many non-violent crimes should be reviewed with the view of reducing the length of incarceration. Some violent crimes should have longer sentences, some, but some should be reviewed, especially for first time young offenders, as to the mandatory minimums.

These systems work in many countries, and there is no reason they can't work in the USA. The crime rate in all first world countries is less than in the US, so to suggest that the threat of a long sentence will deter is not what happens in reality.

Right now jail time is just grad school for delinquency, and that needs to stop.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
There is no drug possession charges (for personal use) that should end up in jail. Many non-violent crimes should be reviewed with the view of reducing the length of incarceration. Some violent crimes should have longer sentences, some, but some should be reviewed, especially for first time young offenders, as to the mandatory minimums.

These systems work in many countries, and there is no reason they can't work in the USA. The crime rate in all first world countries is less than in the US, so to suggest that the threat of a long sentence will deter is not what happens in reality.

Right now jail time is just grad school for delinquency, and that needs to stop.

May I suggest you stay on topic? This is about Session's plans to deter illegal aliens and so-called asylum seekers.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
May I suggest you stay on topic? This is about Session's plans to deter illegal aliens and so-called asylum seekers.

Fair point.

So, back to my questions. Where is the humanity in separating children from their parent? Other countries don't do that, why must the USA be less humanitarian than those other countries?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:24 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's exactly the point, Max. Some people only care about others if they're from a third world country. They couldn't care less about Americans living like they're in a third world country. They're hypocrites.

Here's the thing, BOS2IAD. He's not interested in people as much as he is interested in criticizing America and Americans. He's anti-American. Bottom line is - it's none of his damn business. And if he was such a *humanitarian* he wouldn't have time to sit on his laptop proclaiming it - he'd be out living it.
^^^^He should stick to worrying about Canada and not tell Americans how we should live.

I don't go into Canadian forums and criticize the Canadians and their country. In fact, I don't go to any Canadian forums at all.

If I could rep you again, I would.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Fair point.

So, back to my questions. Where is the humanity in separating children from their parent? Other countries don't do that, why must the USA be less humanitarian than those other countries?
Maybe you should ask the illegal aliens that question.

I guess that you are unaware that many of them leave behind families in their own country, then come here and find a new baby momma or baby daddy.

They are the ones whose actions are "separating families".

Some years back, WaPo did a story about kids who show up at the border. They come with a parent's name and address then tell the BP that they want to be reunited with said parent. The BP will call the parent---and guess what? More often than not, the parent won't come and get their own child. Do you know why? It's because the parent is here illegally and they don't want to show their face to the BP. How anyone can do that to their own child goes beyond the pale.

Did you also know when illegals are caught and up for deportation, many of them leave their anchor babies behind to be put into foster care? The basically abandon their own children.

So, you need to come down from your high horse.

BTW, why don't you go to the the US/Mexico border and invite some illegals to go to Canada with you? I'm sure that you will have no problem bringing them into your own home. If Canadian immigration authorities give you a hard time, just tell them that you are "a humanitarian". After you tell them that, I'm sure they will understand [sarcasm].

Old 05-09-2018, 09:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Forget it. We've answered the question in multiple posts and he keeps asking anyway. Perhaps English is a second language. If not, there's a word for what he's doing.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^He should stick to worrying about Canada and not tell Americans how we should live.

I don't go into Canadian forums and criticize the Canadians and their country. In fact, I don't go to any Canadian forums at all.

If I could rep you again, I would.
Funny, I see Americans often commenting on politics in Germany, England, France, Russia or Cuba. Exceptionalism at play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies