Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Yet you object when Mexico allows Central Americans go thru MX to the US border.
Who has been objecting? There are plenty of illegal Guatemalans in the US already.
Pointing out that one is required to seek asylum in the first country the enter is not objecting, its following procedure.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not that ignorance of the law is an excuse, but why would you believe migrants know the ins and outs of immigration law in this country?
Because they are told by their government. Given informational pamphlets even. Instructed by coyotes. Information passed on thru relatives, friends.
And they are not migrants. I assume if one is a migrant worker one has enough intelligence to know to go thru the channels to obtain a work visa.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's like saying a paper cut and an incision from heart surgery are both cuts. It ignores a whole lot of other circumstances surrounding each problem.

That's determined thru the court. All initial arrests occur under the same circumstances; arrest and children taken by DHS if present, booking, arraignment.
If you require medical attention you go thru the same initial process, go to a medical facility, fill out insurance forms, have your condition evaluated.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep.
and this from one of those links.

" Do they pay taxes? According to a study by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, undocumented immigrants paid $11.64 billion a year in state and local taxes either through house payments or rent (property taxes), income tax through employer deductions from their paychecks or through the purchase of goods or services (sales taxes). If those same immigrants were given legal status, the amount of state and local taxes collected could increase by $2.1 billion a year, according to the study."

First property taxes from rent are paid by the home owner. If 4 families weren't renting a single family home (using 3X the services) there would be one family of legal immigrants or citizens renting it. In my area there is a shortage of rentals.
Second how does an illegal alien buy a house unless they are using false documents (identity theft).
and last if they are contributing so much now, how would making them legal increase the amount they contribute by 2.1 billion.
Oh and how do they know how much is paid in state and local taxes if they are illegal. We don't know who is illegal. Your employer doesn't list an employee as illegal, one is not asked at Wal-Mart when making purchases if they are illegal.

Indeed, this is a lie perpetuated by renters: YOU DO NOT PAY PROPERTY TAXES AS A RENTER. It's like saying Wal-Mart's customers pay the property tax by shopping there.

The property owner pays the taxes on their property. A tenant's rent may or may not cover all expenses associated with maintaining the landlord's property. The taxes on a property may be paid out of a trust. The landlord may blow all rents collected at Vegas, or on a fancy car.

And you're right. In a country (and especially in areas with lots of illegals) where rents are skyrocketing and there's housing shortages, one fails to see the benefit to the average citizen or legal immigrant of limited means.

Tax-time transfer payments in the form of child tax credits alone amount to billions to illegal parents every year.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
That would mean USA would break the treaty it has with Canada. You wouldn't want the USA to be known as a country that doesn't stay with its legal commitments, would you? Imagine how that would denigrate the USA as a trusted partner in the world community.

Canada is welcoming them in so.
I think Canada first would have to put forth effort to secure their borders. It is not the responsibility of the US to seek out those seeking asylum in Canada and bring them back to the US.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Rather easy to summarize this one.
Especially when you cherry pick.

Good on ya, mate!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What country are they living in now? Are you encouraging them to do it legally? You don't live in the same country as they do?
We live in the United States.

Yes.

Yes we do.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You show proof of nothing. Yours is the unsophisticated and one-dimensional perspective of, "derr, der won't be any fruits if there aint no illegals!"

The amount of money unskilled laborers and their families pull out of the system will always exceed what they put into it in taxes.

Just one child in public schools costs the tax payer 10k. Add in the inevitable food stamps, housing assistance, medicaid, free lunch, etc. Multiply that by millions, because illegal immigrants in the US have more kids than their countrymen back "home." It's always easy to pop out kids when someone else is footing the bill, eh?

Then, discuss the child tax credits, refunds, etc., and it's clear that illegal immigration is a net drain on the economy. ALLLLL of your "proof" never provides a truly comprehensive analysis that includes the externalized costs of illegal immigration borne by tax payers. We only hear of the benefit to the employers.
The most overlooked part is the amount of money illegals send home. Twenty percent or more of what they earn goes home. Of course they're going to take care of family. Who wouldn't?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Oh, puhleeeeez keep us posted on their attempt to immigrate. I think they will be quite shocked at how difficult and expensive it is.
I know exactly what it entails as I have two family members and a half-dozen friends who've left this country over the past 3-5 years.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The most overlooked part is the amount of money illegals send home. Twenty percent or more of what they earn goes home. Of course they're going to take care of family. Who wouldn't?
When that money is wired out as a remittance it ends up as quetzals and pesos. Money that has forever left our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies