Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why don't you start by telling us what the error "rate" is? Not isolated examples but overall percentages. Do you have any remote clue? Moreover, do you know how this rate compares with the error rate that "due process" provides in criminal court?
And you didn't even read the link I posted, did you? If you had you would have found that this:

Quote:
A 2011 UC Berkeley study of ICE’s early use of IDENT found six U.S. citizens, including one who had previously been deported, in a sample of 375 arrests — an error rate that would affect thousands of Americans on a national scale. And government audits showed that last year 52,000 people were wrongly tagged in the Central Index System, a key database used by immigration agents, as being ineligible to work in the U.S.

A training document for users of the Central Index System, which is maintained by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, warns of incorrect or multiple identification numbers, scrambled names, inconsistent procedures for recording multi-part names common in Latin and Chinese cultures, aliases, misspellings and typographical errors, incorrect birth dates and lost records. “Garbage in, garbage out,” the document cautions, a reminder that what computer systems deliver is only as good as what goes in.
ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He

Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
So 6 out of 375 in a study of a new system. Obviously, new systems have kinks to be ironed out.

That's much better than 1 in 25 though, which would be 15 of 375.

How many people are convicted of crimes they did not commit? Last year, a study I co-authored on the issue was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It shows that 4.1 percent of defendants who are sentenced to death in the United States are later shown to be innocent: 1 in 25.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.329f00e60995

You don't get much more "due process" than a death trial. The point here is that no system is perfect. And immediate removals of illegal entrants are applicable to those caught in the act.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM

68 posts, read 38,051 times
What's up with all the "Christians" who think it's okay to rip children away from their mothers, lock them in cages, and store them in concentration camps on American soil.

I've read the Bible several times, and this was not a theme that I remembered in any remote variation...

Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
So 6 out of 375 in a study of a new system. Obviously, new systems have kinks to be ironed out.
This is NOT a new system we have been arresting people for immigration violations since 1790
Quote:
How many people are convicted of crimes they did not commit? Last year, a study I co-authored on the issue was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It shows that 4.1 percent of defendants who are sentenced to death in the United States are later shown to be innocent: 1 in 25.
You don't get much more "due process" than a death trial.
Most of the innocent people on death row are there due to violations in due process, like the prosecution misconduct or coerced confessions. Your claim that somehow more "due process" is afforded people accused of murder than those who are accused of other crimes doesn't make much sense. Due process is often subverted during criminal proceedings, that doesn't legitimize arresting citizens and detaining them for immigration violations.
Quote:
The point here is that no system is perfect. And immediate removals of illegal entrants are applicable to those caught in the act.
If a person claims asylum you cannot immediately deport them
"Under current policies, immigrants who are detained within 100 miles of the border and who have been in the country less than 14 days can be deported immediately, without being processed through the immigration courts. If an individual caught along the border makes a claim for asylum, he or she will have their claim reviewed by an asylum officer with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If the claim is approved, the individual goes through the immigration court process. If not approved, that person joins the other immigrants caught along the border who are usually immediately returned to their home countries, often within a few days, either by bus or plane."
https://www.voanews.com/a/how-immigr...d/3750166.html

Old 06-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is NOT a new system we have been arresting people for immigration violations since 1790

Maybe *you* didn't read your own link. "A 2011 UC Berkeley study of ICE’s early use of IDENT found six U.S. citizens, including one who had previously been deported, in a sample of 375 arrests". What part of "early use" do you not understand?

Your own quote supports immediate removal, "Under current policies, immigrants who are detained within 100 miles of the border and who have been in the country less than 14 days can be deported immediately, without being processed through the immigration courts.".

If they "claim asylum", their case can be reviewed while they wait outside.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe *you* didn't read your own link. "A 2011 UC Berkeley study of ICE’s early use of IDENT found six U.S. citizens, including one who had previously been deported, in a sample of 375 arrests". What part of "early use" do you not understand?
Your own quote supports immediate removal, "Under current policies, immigrants who are detained within 100 miles of the border and who have been in the country less than 14 days can be deported immediately, without being processed through the immigration courts.".
If they "claim asylum", their case can be reviewed while they wait outside.
This is just getting silly and I'm sure no one in this thread is interested in reading this, so I'm out. Have a good evening.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:11 PM

I've better things to do myself.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdcastle View Post
What's up with all the "Christians" who think it's okay to rip children away from their mothers, lock them in cages, and store them in concentration camps on American soil.

I've read the Bible several times, and this was not a theme that I remembered in any remote variation...

It is OK and correct to do all of that in the case of an organized invasion. We don't need Bibles, we need common sense and the willingness to look at the reality of what is happening.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1HA01X

Organized. Invasion.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,740 times
I 'll go ya one farther. Who tipped off trump on this caravan?
It s something he would organize just to terrorize the country.
The guy talk s to Putin before he acts.
Putin is a murderous dictator.
Trump will become murderous soon.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 AM

28,914 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I posted numerous Biblical verses days ago on this thread. They are easy to find and understand. If you aren't afraid of being proven wrong, of course.
you aren't proving me wrong, you're actually trying to prove the Bible wrong....
all within moderation....

we cannot continue to accept these people into our country...period...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies