Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
killing your own child has got to be a heavy burden to carry around with you for your whole life.
I don't know, I've never killed a child.

Terminating a pregnancy at 7 weeks hasn't been a burden to me, however. Sorry if that is disappointing for you. Had I not been able to have a safe, legal abortion and had suffered medical complications as a result of terminating the pregnancy, I'm sure it would be a burden for me, though.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well make sure you remind your child/children as often as possible that you wish you'd aborted them and that having them is just one huge mistake. I'm sure that's going to make them feel awesome! They're sure to appreciate your candor and honesty!

I'm sorry you have rough pregnancies. One of my sisters has four children and her typical pregnancy makes yours sound like a walk in the park. Her hips would dislocate causing constant excruciating pain starting at month 6 or so. The experience of going into labor would actually decrease the pain. For all four pregnancies, she threw up so often that she had to be rehydrated and fed by a tube at least once per pregnancy. The last one was an accident that slipped by birth control and in that particular case, on top of everything else, she was in labor for about 1 month. Total number of times she even considered abortion = zero. Nobody is crazy enough to suggest that pregnancy is this wonderful happy land filled with rainbows, gumdrops and candy canes. Generally, it's messy and downright unpleasant to put it mildly. But it's how new human beings are made. We haven't come up with another way of doing it yet. Abortion has its place but its frivolous overuse cheapens our value of all human life.

LOL, when did I say I wanted an abortion with my children....

I never did; however, the argument was that abortion was "harmful" to a woman. My post was about the fact that pregnancy is more harmful to a woman than an abortion is and that a zygote and fetus, really do meet the definition of a "parasite" in a woman's body.

And your sister's pregnancies sound exactly like mine actually. I was hospitalized about 5 times with the first for dehydration and about 8 times with the second. I also had excruciating pain, as noted starting at 14 weeks (3.5 months). My 2nd child was planned and it was the worst pregnancy. I also had pre-eclampsia, which is a life threatening condition and which increases as the age of the mother increases.

So at my present age, I would seriously consider an abortion if I got pregnant because I have slightly high blood pressure as a result of my last pregnancy and my increased age would put me at a higher risk of death and serious consequences of another case of pre-eclampsia. I would not want to leave my children motherless. I adore them and they me and my oldest has even said his biggest fear is me dying and he is a teenager (the age most parents hate lol). I adore my teen in particular. I was only 23 when he was born and it was difficult but in my 20s and early 30s I'd have no problem having more children. Today, it would be a hard thing for me to decide, which is why I stay on birth control. It would be too dangerous and I'm not willing to risk my life for a pregnancy at this time. My kids and my husband would be devastated if I am made incapacitated by a pregnancy or if I die as a result of pregnancy induced issues. It is the reason why I do stay on BC. But BC does fail. As noted, I had an IUD pregnancy as well in my early 30s. My gyn tried to convince me that my IUD may have caused my missed cycle when I called them after missing one and then two days later I had a hyperemesis throw up session lol. That is how I knew for certain I was pregnant. I get it at 4-5 weeks of pregnancy.

The idea that abortion will cause all these bad effects and/or kill a woman is silly considering pregnancy is much more dangerous than an abortion is.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 AM

39,233 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You responded to that post, which clearly means you agree with it, regardless of the use of "someone". It's never good when one backpedals or deflects.
Of course I agree with him. There are a lot of people who use abortion as birth control. Those behavior should not be encouraged. No backpedals or deflects. Duh!

If you are not one of the "someone" we were talking about, don't worry about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But then why would someone who can barely support themselves have unprotected sex with strangers, knowing the risks for pregnancy?
Ask that of the men who act like dogs (most of them). Having money is not something that comes to mind when that erection starts.

If so, I'd had been a rich teen when I was 14.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well make sure you remind your child/children as often as possible that you wish you'd aborted them and that having them is just one huge mistake. I'm sure that's going to make them feel awesome! They're sure to appreciate your candor and honesty!

I'm sorry you have rough pregnancies. One of my sisters has four children and her typical pregnancy makes yours sound like a walk in the park. Her hips would dislocate causing constant excruciating pain starting at month 6 or so. The experience of going into labor would actually decrease the pain. For all four pregnancies, she threw up so often that she had to be rehydrated and fed by a tube at least once per pregnancy. The last one was an accident that slipped by birth control and in that particular case, on top of everything else, she was in labor for about 1 month. Total number of times she even considered abortion = zero. Nobody is crazy enough to suggest that pregnancy is this wonderful happy land filled with rainbows, gumdrops and candy canes. Generally, it's messy and downright unpleasant to put it mildly. But it's how new human beings are made. We haven't come up with another way of doing it yet. Abortion has its place but its frivolous overuse cheapens our value of all human life.
I agree with you last sentence (the bold)

However, I don't think residinghere suggested she wanted to abort her children. Her point is simple: saying pregnancy has health benefits is probably not true. She did not suggest "If pregnancy is uncomfy, abort the fetus"

Note: I don't know if pregnancy has health benefits or not, so I am not going to comment on it.

People should keep it simple sometimes, a lot of arguments can be avoided this way.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
No, I mean the "killing of an unborn baby". It's the baby's business. He/she didn't ask to be conceived.
Sadly, he/she doesn't get to choose.
Fetal development does not start with a viable human that has a heart beat, it starts with a cell. Abortion is not a black and white issue such that the moment the pregnancy is discovered, there is a viable human.

It is important to distinguish between an abortion of cell division at 6 weeks past last period, and an abortion of a 16, 20, or 24 week fetus with a beating heart, as there is a significant difference in what is removed from the mother's body.

Specifically, it is not possible to kill something that is not alive, so putting an end to 4 week old cell division is not killing.

How pregnant was Sharon when she had the abortion? Did she immediately abort (6 weeks past last period), or did she wait until 16 or 20 weeks gestation? Is her guilt based on aborting a viable fetus with a heart beat, or is she simple lamenting the fact that she had a couple of miscarriages during her wild and crazy life?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The idea that abortion will cause all these bad effects and/or kill a woman is silly considering pregnancy is much more dangerous than an abortion is.
Thank you for your informative posts in this thread. They should put to an end the nonsense that pregnancy is good for and/or does not adversely affect your body. No one who has actually carried a pregnancy to term and given birth will make such a stupid claim.

But most importantly is the part of your post that I quoted above.

Pregnancy is infinitely more dangerous than a legal abortion by far. There are so many things that can go wrong during a pregnancy, to say nothing of the actual pain of giving birth. Yet these forced-birthers are so callous that they believe they should have the right to force women to undergo them as if they are nothing.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Of course I agree with him. There are a lot of people who use abortion as birth control. Those behavior should not be encouraged. No backpedals or deflects. Duh!

If you are not one of the "someone" we were talking about, don't worry about it.
Most people agree with this - in principle. Most people also agree that people shouldn't rob, steal, beat up, commit fraud, spew cancer causing agents into the atmosphere or grab puzzy and brag about it.

But the "real world" differs.

The minute any of us say how it "should be", we are in fact going against the great one himself and most of the sages of history....."Judge Not". Who are we mere mortals to say what "should be".

I can say that I agree with the sentiment...for myself. At the same time I would never think I am above that behavior.

You'd think we'd all have seen enough hypocrites and hypocritical behavior in our lifetimes to understand those very basics. Note the GOP pols who suddenly accepted Gay Rights - but NOT until they discovered the son or daughter or other family member they loved was Gay.

I think that somewhat says it all. Some of us accept we are ALL hypocrites (some would call that sinners). Others think there is way we "should be". Maybe both are correct?

It's sorta like car accidents. Some of us get into them....sometimes by our fault, sometimes by no fault of ours except that we happen to drive a car (shared responsibility). Yet it's hard to say ALL driver of cars have moral failings...even though they are involved in great carnage, terrible pollution and other mass actions and outcomes.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Fetal development does not start with a viable human that has a heart beat, it starts with a cell. Abortion is not a black and white issue such that the moment the pregnancy is discovered, there is a viable human.

It is important to distinguish between an abortion of cell division at 6 weeks past last period, and an abortion of a 16, 20, or 24 week fetus with a beating heart, as there is a significant difference in what is removed from the mother's body.

Specifically, it is not possible to kill something that is not alive, so putting an end to 4 week old cell division is not killing.

How pregnant was Sharon when she had the abortion? Did she immediately abort (6 weeks past last period), or did she wait until 16 or 20 weeks gestation? Is her guilt based on aborting a viable fetus with a heart beat, or is she simple lamenting the fact that she had a couple of miscarriages during her wild and crazy life?
The reason I won't touch the subject of abortion with a ten foot pole is because of the above.

It looks like there is no universal answer to this very simple question

When does a foetus get the right to life?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Most people agree with this - in principle. Most people also agree that people shouldn't rob, steal, beat up, commit fraud, spew cancer causing agents into the atmosphere or grab puzzy and brag about it.

But the "real world" differs.

The minute any of us say how it "should be", we are in fact going against the great one himself and most of the sages of history....."Judge Not". Who are we mere mortals to say what "should be".

I can say that I agree with the sentiment...for myself. At the same time I would never think I am above that behavior.

You'd think we'd all have seen enough hypocrites and hypocritical behavior in our lifetimes to understand those very basics. Note the GOP pols who suddenly accepted Gay Rights - but NOT until they discovered the son or daughter or other family member they loved was Gay.

I think that somewhat says it all. Some of us accept we are ALL hypocrites (some would call that sinners). Others think there is way we "should be". Maybe both are correct?

It's sorta like car accidents. Some of us get into them....sometimes by our fault, sometimes by no fault of ours except that we happen to drive a car (shared responsibility). Yet it's hard to say ALL driver of cars have moral failings...even though they are involved in great carnage, terrible pollution and other mass actions and outcomes.
You read too much into my comments.

No where in my post has said, they SHOULD NOT get an abortion. lol

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-09-2018 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies