Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't have to care but you do have to connect the dots. With regard to this topic, the violence against police officers is a factor that plays into some of them being trigger happy. Yes, some are racist, some are profiling and shooting unnecessarily, but some are just trying to do their jobs while being attacked or shot at.

The death of Laquon McDonald shouldn't have happened. The death of Philando Castile shouldn't have happened. The death of Daniel Shaver shouldn't have happened. The deaths of Walter Scott and Zachary Hammond shouldn't have happened. The list is endless. Cops shouldn't be going from zero to shooting someone in 10 seconds. They need better training, psychological testing by a third party, removal from all departments nationwide, if necessary, and protective equipment for those serving in rougher neighborhoods.

I'm not a fan of cops, but they are not 100% to blame. They're being killed for no reason, citizens are calling 911 to report fake crimes to lure them out and kill them, and the stats provided show they are more apt to be killed or physically assaulted by black males between the ages of 18 and 34 than any other group.

You can't intelligently discuss the issue of cops wrongfully killing black males while refusing to look at all factors.
Violence towards the police might play a factor in getting shot. However, not every situation is handled the same. What is concerning is who is more likely to get shot on the occasion that violence is used. There are some cases where shooting a suspect is called for. However, the application of such force is often varied, and in many cases biased.

I agree with you that police officers need better training. There is a big need for psychological testing, better protective equipment. However, what does irk me are those who will perceive those measures as "it's going to make their jobs harder". Some people believe that police officers should have free reign to shoot anyone regardless of situations. Not everyone does. However, some people do think like that.

I know about the rates of violent crime when it comes to Black males. It still doesn't excuse some of the things going on. What it becomes is "because Black males have high violent crime rates, let's treat this particular Black male with far more scrutiny". Obviously, if you get violent with an officer, you should expect violence back. And this should be situation-based. If an officer is basing his decision to shoot based on what other Black males have done, rather than the situation itself, that is a big problem. I've seen videos of Black females actually fighting physically with police officers. Very rarely does it end with said female getting shot. Even with the discussion of crime rates, it still does not justify alot of shootings, or the way such force is applied. Some of the persons I'm replying to only bring up Black crime rates as a way of saying "well, you're a violent people so you get whatever you get".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I believe if you are shot by the police there is a reason you got to that point...most of the times.
How come I or anybody I know have never had issues with the police? I never interact with them unless it's work related. I just live a normal life, go to work, pick my kids up from school, grocery shopping....and and don't act like a weirdo in public. I have no reason to have interactions with the cops.
I have been pulled over for speeding 3 times. Got a ticket for it twice. No problems beyond that. Why is that I wonder?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Violence towards the police might play a factor in getting shot. However, not every situation is handled the same. What is concerning is who is more likely to get shot on the occasion that violence is used. There are some cases where shooting a suspect is called for. However, the application of such force is often varied, and in many cases biased.

I agree with you that police officers need better training. There is a big need for psychological testing, better protective equipment. However, what does irk me are those who will perceive those measures as "it's going to make their jobs harder". Some people believe that police officers should have free reign to shoot anyone regardless of situations. Not everyone does. However, some people do think like that.

I know about the rates of violent crime when it comes to Black males. It still doesn't excuse some of the things going on. What it becomes is "because Black males have high violent crime rates, let's treat this particular Black male with far more scrutiny". Obviously, if you get violent with an officer, you should expect violence back. And this should be situation-based. If an officer is basing his decision to shoot based on what other Black males have done, rather than the situation itself, that is a big problem. I've seen videos of Black females actually fighting physically with police officers. Very rarely does it end with said female getting shot. Even with the discussion of crime rates, it still does not justify alot of shootings, or the way such force is applied. Some of the persons I'm replying to only bring up Black crime rates as a way of saying "well, you're a violent people so you get whatever you get".
I'm with you on all of the above, so apparently you do care.

And I know there are dopes who said 'If only Philando Castile had complied, he'd be alive today' when he couldn't have done more to comply or to be polite.

This a multi-faceted problem, and all facets need attention and reform.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:51 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:

As a Black man, aren't you more concerned with the fact that 99% of people shot by police are men, rather than 40% of people shot by police being Black? How can it be that only half the population is male, yet 99% of police shootings are men? Is this not a 'war on men' & shouldn't Black men be more concerned about gender, rather than race?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:

And I know there are dopes who said 'If only Philando Castile had complied, he'd be alive today' when he couldn't have done more to comply or to be polite.

Not saying it was Phil's fault he got shot, but the emboldened is your opinion, not fact.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Not saying it was Phil's fault he got shot, but the emboldened is your opinion, not fact.
True. But there are people who saw the video and ignored the fact that the cops told him to hand over his license, which he was going for when he was shot.

When the cops tell you to do something, and you're doing it, you are complying. That's not opinion, that's fact.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:

I don't like the violence that is going on within alot of Black communities. I also don't think it should be an excuse for an officer to shoot someone. One reason I am quite skeptical when it comes to discussing this subject is frequency. It should be for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. What worries me is what happens to said persons on the occasion they are being violent with the police. Who is more likely to be killed by the police on the occasion he or she is being violent with the police?

There are alot of problems with multiple factors. What bothers me is the mentality of "well, if Black people weren't such criminals they wouldn't get shot". To me that is a cop out. While there is certainly the issue of crime to tackle, there are other factors as well.

I think about the Michael Brown case. I think there could have been other ways to handle him. Killing him was not necessary. Force was necessary, but the way it ended, I don't think it needed to end that way. Sadly, I think stupidity is what got Michael Brown killed. I have seen a few videos of Black women being violent (to the point of fisticuffs) with police officers, and taken in without a shot being fired. I wonder if Michael Brown saw Black women being violent with police officers and getting off. I wonder if he wasn't thinking "I'm a Black male. If I get cocky with this officer he might shoot me". I don't think he was a gentle giant by any means. I think the kind of death he met was a fool's death. It isn't a death that I would champion. It segues into something else.

I see that most of the shooting victims are men. Philando Castile. It wasn't the female in the car that got shot. It was him. It worries me because I have to wonder if I will meet someone who fears me enough to shoot me, even if I'm not presenting a threat.

Race has certainly played a factor in this issue. If you look closer, gender is a big factor.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
The officer was charged with murder, so it seems justice was done.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
True. But there are people who saw the video and ignored the fact that the cops told him to hand over his license, which he was going for when he was shot.

When the cops tell you to do something, and you're doing it, you are complying. That's not opinion, that's fact.

Thanks for clarifying your earlier statement.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I don't like the violence that is going on within alot of Black communities. I also don't think it should be an excuse for an officer to shoot someone. One reason I am quite skeptical when it comes to discussing this subject is frequency. It should be for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. What worries me is what happens to said persons on the occasion they are being violent with the police. Who is more likely to be killed by the police on the occasion he or she is being violent with the police?

There are alot of problems with multiple factors. What bothers me is the mentality of "well, if Black people weren't such criminals they wouldn't get shot". To me that is a cop out. While there is certainly the issue of crime to tackle, there are other factors as well.

I think about the Michael Brown case. I think there could have been other ways to handle him. Killing him was not necessary. Force was necessary, but the way it ended, I don't think it needed to end that way. Sadly, I think stupidity is what got Michael Brown killed. I have seen a few videos of Black women being violent (to the point of fisticuffs) with police officers, and taken in without a shot being fired. I wonder if Michael Brown saw Black women being violent with police officers and getting off. I wonder if he wasn't thinking "I'm a Black male. If I get cocky with this officer he might shoot me". I don't think he was a gentle giant by any means. I think the kind of death he met was a fool's death. It isn't a death that I would champion. It segues into something else.

I see that most of the shooting victims are men. Philando Castile. It wasn't the female in the car that got shot. It was him. It worries me because I have to wonder if I will meet someone who fears me enough to shoot me, even if I'm not presenting a threat.

Race has certainly played a factor in this issue. If you look closer, gender is a big factor.

A much bigger & more pronounced factor. It begs the question, are cops misandrists? Is this a "war on men"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies