Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 03:23 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Come on now.....you are experiencing intellectual constipation ONLY because your mental diet excludes the fiber of truth via selection bias. This is not hard to figure out once one divorces themselves from their emotions and biases.

Take a deep breath in for about 4 seconds.....hold it for 4 seconds and slowly exhale for 8 seconds. Repeat these steps until you are relaxed. Then imagine that you are not white or conservative....but just looking at a situation without bias or prejudice. Take in all the facts of history, process the information, then return a conclusion.

If that does not help you answer your own questions....we can prescribe meds.

Racism is not the only thing that causes poverty. One can have a headache and another person can have a headache and both can have a totally different source causing their headache. There are many roads that lead to the "Rome" of poverty. Your question seems to imply there is only one road.
After some of the crap I've seen, I put one person on my "ignore" list. I realize that there will be petulance and stupidity. Some people aren't worth debating with. You debate your intellectual equals, all others yours, well, most others really, you teach. Some people aren't worth dealing with because you can't debate with them properly and they refuse to learn anything. One reason I made use of the "Ignore" button. I realize that the subject of police brutality and race has brought out the worst. There are some people here for whom I can debate with and discuss this topic intelligently. There are some whom I can't do this with. Some individuals are not worth it. One person is one my ignore list thanks to what I've seen on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A shoulder shrug answer that simply reinforces various stereotypes.

I think the much higher rate of police interaction with black people goes well beyond the accepted bromides.
I don't think it's so much a shoulder shrug answer. I think it's more or less oversimplification for the purpose of presenting a very biased argument. The subject of interaction with the police, it has many facets. This is something we both know. Some of what we're seeing on this thread is living proof that some people would be very supportive of a police state. For others, I'm seeing more of an attitude of "well, since Blacks commit alot of crime, they deserve to be treated rougher than everyone else".

I acknowledge what the crime statistics say. Numbers do tell a story. Not the whole story, but it does give an idea. On the other hand, there is so much more than just the crime rates. Commit a crime, expect to interact with a police officer. Commit a traffic infraction, expect to deal with the police. Committing less crime would drop the number of interactions with the police. However, we both know that this is a multifaceted problem. Black men tend to have a higher amount of non-criminal interactions with the police. And that comes with its own set of issues. Crime statistics expect crime-related interactions with the police. However, no one seems to be capable of explaining the number of interactions with the police that don't involve committing a crime.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is a better question. How many of those situations were actually threatening situations? There is a difference between feeling threatened and actually being threatened.
That's not a BETTER question. It's the SAME question I asked.

What is the ACTUAL threat posed by blacks and whites?

Old 03-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's not a BETTER question. It's the SAME question I asked.

What is the ACTUAL threat posed by blacks and whites?
You asked these questions:

Quote:
How many cops were killed by blacks? How many by whites?
You did not ask the same question. I understand common sense. If you shoot at a cop, expect to be shot back. My concern is about situations where the suspect gets shot without posing any threat to the officer's life.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM

A good way to understand this situation: Break it down by situations. It is more than just who gets killed the most per capita. Who is more likely to get killed when said person isn't a threat to the officer? Who is more likely to face interactions with the police when it isn't even necessary?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
More whites shot to death by police than blacks.

There's more dollars floating around Detroit than Huntsville, AL. Doesn't mean there's more dollars per capita in Detroit than Huntsville. Per capita makes all the difference.

There's also a lot of white non-Hispanics in jail too - just a smaller proportion of them than of other races (certainly blacks and Hispanics).

Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
A good way to understand this situation: Break it down by situations. It is more than just who gets killed the most per capita. Who is more likely to get killed when said person isn't a threat to the officer? Who is more likely to face interactions with the police when it isn't even necessary?
lol As if your made up scenario of "isn't necessary" has meaning.

Blacks escalate at a much higher percentage. That's just a fact. They are not raised correctly since a much higher percentage of blacks are raised in single parent families. I'm not a big fan of law enforcement but they are not racist.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
You asked these questions:

You did not ask the same question. I understand common sense. If you shoot at a cop, expect to be shot back. My concern is about situations where the suspect gets shot without posing any threat to the officer's life.
And you have proof of this somehow? Or is this just another it probably happens because we all know the white devil, meaning law enforcement in this situation, hates blacks.

I think it's only a concern to you, when it happens to blacks. I don't see much empathy for non blacks.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 03-04-2019 at 09:22 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And you have proof of this somehow? Or is this just another it probably happens because we all know the white devil, meaning law enforcement in this situation, hates blacks.

I think it's only a concern to you, when it happens to blacks. I don't see much empathy for non blacks.
Sandra Bland, Philando Castile

Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
Quote:
Who is more likely to face interactions with the police when it isn't even necessary?
you dont get to decide when it is necessary, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies