Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 08:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Your point? That doesn't even have anything to do with what I am talking about. I'm talking about what has happened from the very beginning in this country. Not interested in discussing that? Move along and go somewhere else
Just more proof blacks are not being raised correctly. Of course you're going to try and cover up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wouldn't the outrage be dependent upon the reason and under what circumstances the people were shot?
As long as the person shot is black.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
This is a hypothesis I have. I think some people want a police state because they believe it will make them feel safer. For said persons, a police state would be more likely to target Blacks, and be used to "keep the Black folks in line". This is my hypothesis why some people would be okay with a police state.
It's not a "keep blacks in line" thing necessarily, but people like a police state generally because they believe they are protected from whatever ills the world seeks to place at their doorstep.

Police are just one of many manifestations of the state that project the illusion of safety, security and comfort, and people like feeling safe, secure and comfy. You see it here on the forum all the time whenever any of us anarchist folks denounce the state doing something, and the dogpile of usual suspects defending why the state and only the state can and does provide all of the good things in our lives happens, effectively drowning out the discussion. That's a defense mechanism against the perceived threat to their illusory safety, security and comfort.

Sure, there are some people who think their biggest danger is that mythical band of angry black men seeking to inflict harm upon whitey, and they love them some police to keep that boogeyman at bay. But I'd venture the guess that the people who believe in the efficacy of police as the bulwark against all evil have an infinite number of different boogeyman they think the agents of tyranny protect them from.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's not a "keep blacks in line" thing necessarily, but people like a police state generally because they believe they are protected from whatever ills the world seeks to place at their doorstep.

Police are just one of many manifestations of the state that project the illusion of safety, security and comfort, and people like feeling safe, secure and comfy. You see it here on the forum all the time whenever any of us anarchist folks denounce the state doing something, and the dogpile of usual suspects defending why the state and only the state can and does provide all of the good things in our lives happens, effectively drowning out the discussion. That's a defense mechanism against the perceived threat to their illusory safety, security and comfort.

Sure, there are some people who think their biggest danger is that mythical band of angry black men seeking to inflict harm upon whitey, and they love them some police to keep that boogeyman at bay. But I'd venture the guess that the people who believe in the efficacy of police as the bulwark against all evil have an infinite number of different boogeyman they think the agents of tyranny protect them from.
I will explain where my hypothesis is coming from. I notice some of the persons here have a very critical view of Black people. Those are some of the very persons who will automatically take an officers side over a civilian's side. I sometimes wonder if they want a police state because they believe it will "keep the black people in line". I wonder that.

All that aside, I will say this. Police are necessary for public safety. However, a police state is something we do not want. A police officer's job is to serve and protect, not be the judge and jury. When the police become judge and jury, we have a police state.

I think one of the biggest problems we have in society are those who would love for the police to run riot. They are those who feel that the police should have free reign to do whatever tyranny they want. Please understand, I don't have an anarchist's point of view. I have this point of view. The police have a duty to the people. We are bestowing upon them the duties the serving the public, protecting the public, and helping to maintain democracy inside of our borders. When a police officer is doing something that goes against those principles, then said officer needs to be held accountable. There is a tyranny and yes, there are criminals out there. However, a criminal can't protect me or you. We know this. Better behavior is expected from officers.

Now, I do understand part of what you're speaking of. We want protection from the criminal. However, we don't often stop to think "watch out for that police officer too". Criminals of any race are to be feared, but we should never forget that we need to prevent being ruled by a police state as well.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I will explain where my hypothesis is coming from. I notice some of the persons here have a very critical view of Black people. Those are some of the very persons who will automatically take an officers side over a civilian's side. I sometimes wonder if they want a police state because they believe it will "keep the black people in line". I wonder that.

All that aside, I will say this. Police are necessary for public safety. However, a police state is something we do not want. A police officer's job is to serve and protect, not be the judge and jury. When the police become judge and jury, we have a police state.

I think one of the biggest problems we have in society are those who would love for the police to run riot. They are those who feel that the police should have free reign to do whatever tyranny they want. Please understand, I don't have an anarchist's point of view. I have this point of view. The police have a duty to the people. We are bestowing upon them the duties the serving the public, protecting the public, and helping to maintain democracy inside of our borders. When a police officer is doing something that goes against those principles, then said officer needs to be held accountable. There is a tyranny and yes, there are criminals out there. However, a criminal can't protect me or you. We know this. Better behavior is expected from officers.

Now, I do understand part of what you're speaking of. We want protection from the criminal. However, we don't often stop to think "watch out for that police officer too". Criminals of any race are to be feared, but we should never forget that we need to prevent being ruled by a police state as well.
Your childish hypothesis is based on what YOU believe a minute segment says? How about looking at the people who commit crimes instead? But then how could you falsely play the race card? How could you possibly stand up without your crutch?

It only matter when blacks are killed. Screw whitey. Understood.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:

I think one of the biggest problems we have in society are those who would love for the police to run riot. They are those who feel that the police should have free reign to do whatever tyranny they want. .
Please. I'm a RIGHT-WINGER - like...EXTREMELY RIGHT. "Alt right" or "paleoconservative", if you will.

And I personally view police as the henchemen of the now-exclusively left/liberal politicians.

Granted I will not put all police in the same category, but I have a serious problem with the way they carry out immoral/unjust leftist policies (they are now able to pull me over if I don't have my seatbelt on...as if they really care if I flew through my windshield, for example.) That's totalitarian leftist garbage right there and I want nothing to do with it.

The police chiefs in my Cities are now almost always quota hires and left-wingers, too.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
457 dead as of June. Where are you Liberals? Where are the protests and claims of racism against whites?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/
Ask the white folks why they haven’t protested. Maybe they needed to be shot?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your childish hypothesis is based on what YOU believe a minute segment says? How about looking at the people who commit crimes instead? But then how could you falsely play the race card? How could you possibly stand up without your crutch?

It only matter when blacks are killed. Screw whitey. Understood.
Its like you read a totally different paragraph that you imagined in your head..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Please. I'm a RIGHT-WINGER - like...EXTREMELY RIGHT. "Alt right" or "paleoconservative", if you will.

And I personally view police as the henchemen of the now-exclusively left/liberal politicians.

Granted I will not put all police in the same category, but I have a serious problem with the way they carry out immoral/unjust leftist policies (they are now able to pull me over if I don't have my seatbelt on...as if they really care if I flew through my windshield, for example.) That's totalitarian leftist garbage right there and I want nothing to do with it.

The police chiefs in my Cities are now almost always quota hires and left-wingers, too.
Well, I live in Georgia, not Minnesota (I'll gladly trade spots with you). There are 12 counties in the Atlanta metropolitan area. I live in a deep-red county 25 miles from the Georgia-Alabama border. The right wing rules where I currently live. You can say that many of the officers here are henchmen for right wing/conservative politicians. The right wingers here is plenty totalitarian where I live. Where I live there are still some individuals flying Confederate flags from their porches.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Its like you read a totally different paragraph that you imagined in your head..
Chicano3000X, there is a reason I put that person on my "ignore" list. Some people are not worth talking to after a certain point. The only reason I saw that person's post is because you responded to it.

All that aside, I will say this. Some people don't want to hear what anyone has to say. Rather than just admit how they feel, and admit that they disagree, said persons will turn to bellicose, petulant comments. Some people just need to be put on the "ignore"list. After a certain point it isn't worth dealing with said individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies