Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Please. I'm a RIGHT-WINGER - like...EXTREMELY RIGHT. "Alt right" or "paleoconservative", if you will.

And I personally view police as the henchemen of the now-exclusively left/liberal politicians.

Granted I will not put all police in the same category, but I have a serious problem with the way they carry out immoral/unjust leftist policies (they are now able to pull me over if I don't have my seatbelt on...as if they really care if I flew through my windshield, for example.) That's totalitarian leftist garbage right there and I want nothing to do with it.
Actually if thats your gripe, the seatbelt policy is a right wing one, because its about money.

The municipalities dont care if you fly through the windshield, you cant sue the town if its your fault.

But if a police car goes through a red light, T-Bones you and you fly through the windshield, then you can sue.
With the seatbelt policy in place, if the cop T-bones you, you cant sue because its the law. This is why the cops get away with so much, the laws keep the town from being liable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will explain where my hypothesis is coming from. I notice some of the persons here have a very critical view of Black people. Those are some of the very persons who will automatically take an officers side over a civilian's side. I sometimes wonder if they want a police state because they believe it will "keep the black people in line". I wonder that.

All that aside, I will say this. Police are necessary for public safety. However, a police state is something we do not want. A police officer's job is to serve and protect, not be the judge and jury. When the police become judge and jury, we have a police state.

I think one of the biggest problems we have in society are those who would love for the police to run riot. They are those who feel that the police should have free reign to do whatever tyranny they want. Please understand, I don't have an anarchist's point of view. I have this point of view. The police have a duty to the people. We are bestowing upon them the duties the serving the public, protecting the public, and helping to maintain democracy inside of our borders. When a police officer is doing something that goes against those principles, then said officer needs to be held accountable. There is a tyranny and yes, there are criminals out there. However, a criminal can't protect me or you. We know this. Better behavior is expected from officers.
I do believe many people, including the usual suspects here have no problem using police to keep black people in line. But many people are idiots that dont think past their own agenda. Because they dont have a problem with police running riot until it happens to them, and then they are up in arms.

Where this really comes into play is in police brutality cases where people will side with the police as innocent no matter what, because they know a cop near them. They believe because they know a cop that no cops can be bad. Or worse, they think if anyone finds out they voted a cop guilty in a court case that they will stop being protected. Thats my theory anyway.

You ever seen people on the news that said "I thought the police were there to protect me until they decided to say I was DWI even though I was just nervous!" Too many people in this country dont want to understand others point of view.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
NO, blacks tend to protest every time a black person is shot, even though it may be justified. Whites tend to let things work themselves out through the legal system. And another thing, I would say that 99.9% of these shootings, black or white are justified.
You can say that 99%, but its not true. If you followed any of the court cases, you would see that based on evidence and corrupt prosecutors that theres alot of factors in those case decisions, and theyre usually wrong. But you dont want to see that because you like a police state. As long as they dont do it to you when youre innocent.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Why I think more Whites are not protesting against police shootings? I think it has more to do with less of a siege mentality when it comes to police shootings. What I don't see is that sense of "we're being targeted and dealing with systematic racism". Blacks have long dealt with systematic racism and police brutality. There is a sense that things haven't changed all that much.
Oh of course!

Much of the white people on this board have the mentality of "I dont have to worry about police stopping me and harrassing/finding a reason to arrest me for no reason, or because Im in the wrong neighborhood, because I never do anything wrong."

I dont know any black people that think this way. I still worry about it.

Im actually surprised that of all the cases of police shooting white people that were just answering their front doors, or no knock raids with a wrong address that people around here arent concerned.

Theres all kinds of proof of a police bias problem that whites never have to worry about.

I remember the racist text messages of multiple departments
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-12955853.php

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/inde...rs_face_1.html

https://mymajicdc.com/3569284/4-flor...text-messages/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/us/ke...cks/index.html

I could toss out links all day long that no one would read, because they dont want proof. The black and white thinking would have to turn grey, and they dont want that. Gotta stay in the comfort zone.

This is why blacks protest. (of course theres other reasons but this is the main one)

Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I do believe many people, including the usual suspects here have no problem using police to keep black people in line. But many people are idiots that dont think past their own agenda. Because they dont have a problem with police running riot until it happens to them, and then they are up in arms.
Some people lack empathy. There is a belief among some that consists of: "the police will only go after Blacks, after all, most blacks are criminals, and if they aren't, the innocent must suffer for the guilty until Blacks as a whole do better". Obviously, this doesn't apply to a majority of people out there. I'm only talking about the individuals that feel this way.

Back to the empathy part. Individuals who are only okay with a police state as long as it targets "those people" don't have any empathy. Or rather, it exposes a lack of empathy. They aren't going to think "what if it happens to you", until it happens to them. One of the things that allows for some officers to run riot includes those who just don't care.

Part of what I was talking about in terms of "keep the Blacks in line" is this. I think about these incidents with the police. There is often an automatic "side with the police" mentality. I wonder if part of this is a code for "the police protect us from Blacks, so who cares?".

Quote:
Where this really comes into play is in police brutality cases where people will side with the police as innocent no matter what, because they know a cop near them. They believe because they know a cop that no cops can be bad. Or worse, they think if anyone finds out they voted a cop guilty in a court case that they will stop being protected. Thats my theory anyway.
It could be part of it. They know an officer and they have never known what a bad cop is. I've known some decent officers, mostly friends of my father. A childhood friend of my father, and two member's of my father's church(and they're retired now). I've known decent officers because I've been around them. I also know there are some bad officers out there. I know that there is a good chance for me to encounter a bad officer. I've seen some corrupt ones (mostly "good old boy" types in rural areas).

When I was in college, I had no issues talking to police officers on campus. The campus police were friendly. Some of the cops might have known you personally. The persons whom I feared were not the police. It was some paranoid fool calling the police because so-and-so looked upset. That has happened to me before. For the most part, I understand the dynamics. One the college campus I was at, there was no siege dynamic. There was none of this fear going on. Where as in a large city like Atlanta, or in the exurbs where I live, it's different.

Some people do fear losing the protection of the police. In my case, it isn't just the fear of losing that protection from police officers. It is the understanding that I could come across a corrupt officer and be abused by someone abusing their own power. And what is even scarier to me are those who have an automatic "side with the cops first" mentality. If an officer is abusing his or her power and hurting people, that isn't a police officer anymore. That's a criminal masquerading as a police officer. Those who are apathetic about that are pretty much telling the powers that be "let the cops run riot".

Quote:
You ever seen people on the news that said "I thought the police were there to protect me until they decided to say I was DWI even though I was just nervous!" Too many people in this country dont want to understand others point of view.
I think some people don't want to face the idea that it could be them. I know it could be me. My father has never been beaten by cops, but I've been in a car with him when an officer tried to harass him. I understand that the police are suppose to protect and serve, not abuse their power. However, I understand that some officers go bad. There are also persons who became officers and they never should have been police officers in the first place. One thing that needs to be addressed are recruiting methods. Psychological checks need to be done on those trying to be officers. There are some people who want to be officers because they have a bully mentality and think that a police officer job would be good for them.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:05 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Actually if thats your gripe, the seatbelt policy is a right wing one, because its about money.

The municipalities dont care if you fly through the windshield, you cant sue the town if its your fault.

But if a police car goes through a red light, T-Bones you and you fly through the windshield, then you can sue.
With the seatbelt policy in place, if the cop T-bones you, you cant sue because its the law. This is why the cops get away with so much, the laws keep the town from being liable.
That was just one example of what has become an increasingly totalitarian (liberal, communist) State.

And don't really care what side of the political aisle enacted it since I view "republicans" as just democrat-lite and part of the problem with America's increasing leftism these days anyways

Old 03-05-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Oh of course!

Much of the white people on this board have the mentality of "I dont have to worry about police stopping me and harrassing/finding a reason to arrest me for no reason, or because Im in the wrong neighborhood, because I never do anything wrong."

I dont know any black people that think this way. I still worry about it.

Im actually surprised that of all the cases of police shooting white people that were just answering their front doors, or no knock raids with a wrong address that people around here arent concerned.

Theres all kinds of proof of a police bias problem that whites never have to worry about.

I remember the racist text messages of multiple departments
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-12955853.php

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/inde...rs_face_1.html

https://mymajicdc.com/3569284/4-flor...text-messages/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/us/ke...cks/index.html

I could toss out links all day long that no one would read, because they dont want proof. The black and white thinking would have to turn grey, and they dont want that. Gotta stay in the comfort zone.

This is why blacks protest. (of course theres other reasons but this is the main one)
There are some White people who worry about the police, albeit for different reasons. That aside, there is a disconnect between how law-abiding Whites view the police vs how law-abiding Blacks view the police.

The links you posted, I would go as far as to say some people probably agree with those officers and what they posted. Some of those in agreement with said officers won't come right out and say so. This could be why SOME people look at police brutality and automatically side with the officer. Many side with the officer because they fear losing the protection of the police. There are a few who have ill feelings/fear towards Blacks and look at said police brutality as "well, Blacks are a threat and the police being rough with blacks will protect us from them". Not everyone thinks like that. However, the links you posted, some people probably agree with those officers but won't say so. This is a multifaceted problem with many different opinions and thought processes.

I know what the protests are about. Fear. And the feeling of not being valued.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Where I live there are still some individuals flying Confederate flags from their porches.
So. That doesn't mean anything to me. As far as I can tell it's still a free country.

And I was in a Walmart on the MN/WI border just a few weeks ago and a kid was wearing a confederate hoodie though I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything we're discussing here.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So. That doesn't mean anything to me. As far as I can tell it's still a free country.

And I was in a Walmart on the MN/WI border just a few weeks ago and a kid was wearing a confederate hoodie though I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything we're discussing here.
Well, you are the one who claimed the cops were just agents of the left wing. I responded by telling you that you're in Minnesota, I'm in Georgia. I'm in one of the reddest counties in one of the reddest states in the USA. Furthermore, I'm in the South. Flying the Confederate flag is like a throwback to the pre-1960s days. You're free to fly that flag, but it says alot about your mentality, and how you think. Not to mention, the Confederate flag is much more prevalent down here. It lets me know what kind of area it is. The police here could be "right wing" agents.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well, you are the one who claimed the cops were just agents of the left wing. I responded by telling you that you're in Minnesota, I'm in Georgia. I'm in one of the reddest counties in one of the reddest states in the USA. Furthermore, I'm in the South. Flying the Confederate flag is like a throwback to the pre-1960s days. You're free to fly that flag, but it says alot about your mentality, and how you think. Not to mention, the Confederate flag is much more prevalent down here. It lets me know what kind of area it is. The police here could be "right wing" agents.
It's not one of the redest states.

They almost put a black female in Gov.

Whatever though - not sure what the point of this is. At the end of the day, the government is increasingly left-wing...all throughout America. And the police represent this leftist movement, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies