Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Kavanaugh proved to over 1000 law professors that he was unfit to sit on the Supreme Court because of his ATTITUDE, his PARTISAN comments, his OUTBURTS which were totally against the exact counsel that Kavanaugh himself gave in a speech to Columbia Law school students--about the need for a judge to be non-emotional, non-personal...
He lost his cool...
Thomas lost his cool in a similar situation but not as badly as Kavanaugh and certainly not with the partisan invective that Kavanaugh used...
That alone with a same Judiciary Committee hearing his testimony would have been enough to make members stop and reassess his fitness for the Supreme Court...
But they were just as intent as Kavanaugh on casting blame on the Democrats

He lied---
He has a history of doing it
The GOP just didn't want to see it--
They never should have allowed him to get the appellate seat initially...
Yea, on the bench. That's what you and every other anti-Kav poster here seem to miss. Judging a case impartially from the bench is one thing. Defending yourself from a false rape accusation when you were in High school from some broad you barely knew is completely different. Anyone who says differently is a fool.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Kavanaugh proved to over 1000 law professors that he was unfit to sit on the Supreme Court because of his ATTITUDE, his PARTISAN comments, his OUTBURTS which were totally against the exact counsel that Kavanaugh himself gave in a speech to Columbia Law school students--about the need for a judge to be non-emotional, non-personal...
He lost his cool...
Thomas lost his cool in a similar situation but not as badly as Kavanaugh and certainly not with the partisan invective that Kavanaugh used...
That alone with a same Judiciary Committee hearing his testimony would have been enough to make members stop and reassess his fitness for the Supreme Court...
But they were just as intent as Kavanaugh on casting blame on the Democrats

He lied---
He has a history of doing it
The GOP just didn't want to see it--
They never should have allowed him to get the appellate seat initially...
And if instead of accusing him of rape, eluding to his guilt and slandering him, had they attacked on that alone I would be on the same page as you are. But, they didn't did they. They being the democrats. They sat on a story with the intent to delay a nomination until after the midterms. Dr. Ford was simply the weapon of choice. They chose poorly.

As I have already said many times. For me this debate isn't about Kavanaugh's qualifications, it is about the blatant abuse of power by the left. They did this to a high ranking judge. They can do this to anyone.

My son is black. He doesn't need any help from the left making it easier to accuse and convict him. What the left did to Kavanaugh absolutely makes it easier to accuse my son and more difficult for him to defend himself.
Contrary to what the left seems to feel:
1. Evidence does matter
2. Witnesses do matter
3. Motive matters
4.Being able to place the date and location matters.
5. Just because others say me too, or because the accuser pulls at the heart strings doesn't = guilt. At least not yet.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What do all the following have in common,
-The Catholic Journal
-The largest organization of Christian churches
-Former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens

They all think Kavanaugh should not be on the Supreme Court.
None of them are Liberals.
None of them are pro Roe v Wade.
You couldn’t be more incorrect about Stevens:
John Paul Stevens' unexpectedly liberal legacy - latimes

Justice John Paul Stephens as an Abortion Rights Strategist

Justice Stevens liberal legacy goes beyond ideology - Seattle Times
For a time he was considered the leader of the liberal wing of the court.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You murdered 1000 puppies last summer. You and me both know it's true. How can you live with yourself??

Within the context of this being a web-forum, can you reliably prove yourself innocent?

Innocent until proven guilty isn't misogyny. (<--that's how you spell misogyny by the way). Innocent until proven guilty is just common sense. Guilty until proven innocent leads to things like the Holocaust, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, etc. It's what made the witch trials of the Middle Ages notorious. Millions of innocent people die because they are presumed to be guilty of something, the mob assumes they are guilty and they get slaughtered.

Therein lies the problem with partisan politics. Republicans will enthusiastically believe any accusation made against any powerful Democrat without evidence. Democrats will enthusiastically believe any accusation made against a powerful Republican without evidence. Both are being idiots in the process. Partisan politics makes people stupid.

Christine Ford is a political activist and fanatically devoted Democrat. Like many thousands of like minded Democrats, she would do anything to protect Roe vs Wade -- and to keep the Supreme Court from overturning other controversial rulings as well. I would venture to say that she'd die for the cause. She was in the same geographical area as Brett Kavanaugh during her childhood, so she had the opportunity to do something. In all likelihood, she actually is the victim of sexual assault by some completely different person. Why let it go to waste? She suddenly remembered this assault from 30+ years prior precisely at the time that Mitt Romney looked like he might win the election and Brett Kavanaugh happened to be on Romney's short list of Supreme Court nominees. Her story gets set aside when Romney lost, but it was locked and loaded waiting in case Kavanaugh was ever nominated. It was held secret until the last possible moment. She wasn't able to say where or when the assault occurred. In fact she happens to have forgotten absolutely everything that could lead to perjury and defamation charges being brought against her.

It's even possible that she's telling the truth, but she has so little evidence that it wouldn't even make it to a courtroom. Political hysteria theater is very different, am I right? Just an accusation is good enough to ruin a life, and damn the consequences, right? And Republicans will throw it all back in your collective faces when it's Democrats trying to seat a Supreme Court justice. I can guarantee you won't believe the accusations against the Democrat. You will insist that it takes actual evidence. You will be saying the same things then that the Republicans are saying now.

Partisan politics makes you stupid. We either believe that innocent is proven guilty is how we operate or we're devolving into eventual genocide.
Great post. Thank you for stating what should be obvious to all.
For me this debate isn't about Kavanaugh's qualifications. It has been about the method the Democrats have used to disqualify him.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I find it fascinating that some folks will cite two letters as definitive truth, but dismiss 9 letters that don't support their notion of the truth.

I don't know how these folks can't see that one is not more truthful than the other.

The job interview process revealed some possible issues with Kavanaugh.

Given there are a list of other suitable candidates -- why do you take the obviously flawed one.
That is factually incorrect. His hearings went fine. It was only after the Dems realized they couldn't get him on the normal hearings when they decided to level this BS accusation against him from high school. EFFING HIGH SCHOOL.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
Neko-Logic

Please don't group and cluster people in a party affiliation. Just because someone(s) plays dirty pool, does not mean everyone supports that action. I don't. These kind of posts are a big problem for social media in this country I don't want to divide, do you want to divide by party line?
I know what this means now. I never did before.

United We Stand
Divided We Fall

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She kept changing her story. Her therapist notes don’t agree with her current story. She even said late 80s, then mid-80s, then ‘82. No one has corroborated it. I’d say the circumstances of having her friend disappear would make it very memorable for her friend Leland.
Mid 80's or 82 isn't significant, imo. Her age is. If she finally determined this occurred before she could drive at 15 years of age, the date should be easily fixed. Kavanaugh's calendar appears to corroborate her memory on when and some of the partygoers.

It's easy to not remember exact dates/years of events which occurred decades earlier. I just cited upthread a workplace assault which I said took place 15 years ago. Now that I think about it - counting back the years - it was probably 17 years ago - or so. I know the event took place on a Saturday late afternoon in the late summer early fall - late 90's or early 2000's - but beyond that I couldn't be date specific. And, I gave it no thought at all thereafter - until all this brouhaha began with Kavanaugh.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
You obviously don't read too much about justice in 3rd world countries--
In many of them women can't even be called as witnesses against men
And a man would never be in ANY jeopardy of being punished for a rape charge like Ford brought--

And how is Kavanaugh going to be "destroyed"
Isn't he going to get exactly what he has worked for since writing all those calendars while at Georgetown Prep?
Isn't he going to be sworn in as a Justice on the Supreme Court?

I am sure he is more than willing to trade being notorious for a couple of weeks for a lifetime appointment...
I don't imagine he is going to denied entry to any Yale alumni reunions even if many of the people there know the truth about his drinking and partying and likely that Ramirez claimed really happened...
But he feels he is owed this seat--and he was darn well going to collect...

If he feels like he got screwed over in the process, then he should have some empathy for plenty of women who had to go through much the same embarassment and harassment to get their promotions...
Guess what lady, we are in the United States, not the Middle East. one has nothing to do with the other. Stop this desperate pathetic attempt, you are making a fool of yourself.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Guilty until proven innocent leads to things like the Holocaust, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, etc. It's what made the witch trials of the Middle Ages notorious. Millions of innocent people die because they are presumed to be guilty of something, the mob assumes they are guilty and they get slaughtered.
Wasn't it only two years ago when Mexico finally went from 'guilty until proven innocent' to 'innocent until proven guilty' during trials?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You obviously don't read too much about justice in 3rd world countries--
In many of them women can't even be called as witnesses against men
And a man would never be in ANY jeopardy of being punished for a rape charge like Ford brought--

And how is Kavanaugh going to be "destroyed"
Isn't he going to get exactly what he has worked for since writing all those calendars while at Georgetown Prep?
Isn't he going to be sworn in as a Justice on the Supreme Court?

I am sure he is more than willing to trade being notorious for a couple of weeks for a lifetime appointment...
I don't imagine he is going to denied entry to any Yale alumni reunions even if many of the people there know the truth about his drinking and partying and likely that Ramirez claimed really happened...
But he feels he is owed this seat--and he was darn well going to collect...

If he feels like he got screwed over in the process, then he should have some empathy for plenty of women who had to go through much the same embarassment and harassment to get their promotions...
You actually have elected to blind yourself to the third world actions of your party.
I happen to live in a developing country. You really need to travel.

Kavanaugh has been not only accused of rape, but pretty much called guilty by the democrat party. If you feel this is acceptable then you absolutely agree with 3rd world justice.
My contention in this debate isn't about Kavanaug's qualifications. It is about the low and underhanded approach by the left to destroy a person's good name.
Is he going to be sworn in? What if he isn't?
WE just attempted to destroy a SCOTUS nominee who is next? If it is acceptable to attack someone of power then surely it is acceptable to attack a nobody in the same manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies