Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They are left or right leaning but not rabidly partisan, although I disagreed with Scalia on some significant cases I thought he was fair and a good choice although I would have preferred someone more moderate.
Occasionally Scalia showed a libertarian streak. So he wasn't an authoritarian right winger like we're seeing a lot of these days. "The press is the enemy of the people"? Oy!

Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Who said Ford was wrong? Beyond Ford there are plenty of reasons not to appoint Kavanaugh, did he sound even handed in the largest hearing of his life, was he controlled and coherent. His resume stinks of partisan politics and he proved he is not capable of being impartial both at the hearing and while he worked for Ken Starr. This is the Federalist Societies guy, they picked him for a very good reason and nothing else really matters
Reasonable Point .....

Have you worked out yet that IF the Democrats had bothered to work on ISSUES instead on baseless "rape"- throwing ice - attempted rape - gang rape , groping ...... all those goofy allegation that have been disproven .....

That they might have done a bit better????????

Here's the Bottom Line ......
The entire Premise of "Guilty until Proven Innocent" just didn't play well with Normal People.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Oh man, Steve Danes, Republican Senator will NOT be voting on Saturday. His daughter is getting married and he can not attend the vote for Kavanaugh.
If they have the 50 votes, they will vote on Saturday. If not, they will delay it.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He clerked for Kennedy. Justice Kennedy felt safe to retire and probably hand picked his replacement. I think Kavanaugh is mature enough to make rulings based on laws and not pique.
People cite his court records but I will cite his congressional record which is he believes that this was a hit by the liberals. He is biased, he has no reason to be on the bench and it puts us in a very dangerous precedent to confirm him. Kavanaugh had no business whatsoever even being a floor vote other than party over country. I hate to Scotsman this but I feel that any real American should see that as a ramrod especially when Garland was held for 11 months.

Quote:
You watched the hearings, did you think he acted mature.
No he acted worse than anyone I have seen and blatantly biased. If he is voted to the court, he will need to step aside from virtually any liberal group case and if he don't, those rulings are tainted if they rule against the liberals 5-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am honestly not sure what you mean and who he is?
If he is Kavanaugh? I would say he is justified in calling it a hit. weeks of accusations and condemnations from ranking party members. All based upon very weak and unfounded accusations. The dems from the start made this very personal.

I am no Kavanaugh supporter. I have no clue if he would be a good SCOTUS. I care that a major political party used the protection of their party's clout to single out and attack and slander a citizen and that citizen has no recourse.

This is troubling and I am concerned that it is so easily accepted in the name of my party wrong or right, ends justify the means thinking. This is how developing nations dispense justice. No different than what we are seeing in the Philippines. Someone need only accuse and that is good enough? Read the many posts on here. The posts before either Ford or Kavanaugh testified.
I did mean Kavanaugh because it was referring to the conspiracy against him in the quoted post from my post.

Is it a hit perhaps. Is it a hit by liberals, I don't know but that kind of comment from a potential "unbiased" judges scares me. The way this country is going is not at all how the founding fathers wanted us to go at all and is why Washington wanted no political parties at all.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:51 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Nothing in politics is coincidence.

Dr. Ford's grandfather was a CIA operative.
Dr. Ford's father runs 3 companies for the CIA.
Dr. Ford herself runs the CIA intern program at Stanford.
The 3 companies that Dr. Ford's father runs are all located in the same bldg in DC. Also in the same bldg is Baker Hostetler Law Firm and Fusion GPS.
Dr. Ford's brother, Ralph Blasey, worked for Baker Hostetler for 15 years.
Baker Hostetler hired Fusion GPS to create the "Russian Dossier" on Trump.
Julie Swetnick worked for one of the companies run by Dr. Ford's father for 12 years.

Coincidence??????
Not surprised. My boy Kavanaugh is gonna kick all they ass.

Ford wants the FBI to interview her.

That ain't gonna be happening.

So I, a CIA will interview her...

So Christine, do you fly in airplanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If they have the 50 votes, they will vote on Saturday. If not, they will delay it.
This. If we lose a vote due to a wedding, I predict divorce in two months.

Quote:
I would really like to see the FBI report made public.
So Christine, let's see those therapy notes and that polygraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I agree with some of what you had to say. However, I also can see, as plain as the nose on my face, that this entire debacle was orchestrated by the Democrats. All the evidence is right there, staring you all in the face. There is no question that this was indeed a hit, planned by the Democrats, to stop this conservative judge from being confirmed. I'm sorry, but the writing is literally all over the wall on this one. If you can't see that this was set up and used as a backup plan to stop Kavanaugh, then you are willfully trying not to see it. Which would mean you are also ignoring the fact that these Democrats don't give a damn about Dr. Ford or her claim. They have used this for political purposes, nothing more. Once this is over, she will be forgotten. And hey, maybe if Kavanaugh isn't confirmed, the Democrats will get something to really scream about. Have fun dealing with Amy Coney Barrett.
Thank you Thank you Thank you.

I thought I was losing my mind or I was smoking crack in my sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You mean the Democrats used dirty Republican tactics, like questioning Obama's birth certificate or refusing to do their Constitutional duty and give Garland a hearing?

Even if this was a political hit, Kavanaugh disqualified himself with his belligerent attitude and multiple lies under oath. The Democrats didn't do that, he did that all by himself. Even Justice Stevens agrees, this guy does not belong on the court.
Not so fast skippy. You can judge judge Kavanaugh by his first hearing then forget every single thing you saw on the sham allegations by the Democrat Senate, then apologize to Kavanaugh, his wife, two daughters, me, then the rest of the world.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-04-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
Random Post:
I'm a Democrat. But just saw that Orrin Hatch bye-bye wave video...... Pure gold.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:55 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Reasonable Point .....

Have you worked out yet that IF the Democrats had bothered to work on ISSUES instead on baseless "rape"- throwing ice - attempted rape - gang rape , groping ...... all those goofy allegation that have been disproven .....

That they might have done a bit better????????

Here's the Bottom Line ......
The entire Premise of "Guilty until Proven Innocent" just didn't play well with Normal People.
I think he should be disqualified for many reasons, people will either believe Kavanaugh or Ford but we will never know the truth because the 3rd person according to her denies any knowledge. I would really like to see the FBI report made public.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
People cite his court records but I will cite his congressional record which is he believes that this was a hit by the liberals. He is biased, he has no reason to be on the bench and it puts us in a very dangerous precedent to confirm him. Kavanaugh had no business whatsoever even being a floor vote other than party over country. I hate to Scotsman this but I feel that any real American should see that as a ramrod especially when Garland was held for 11 months.

No he acted worse than anyone I have seen and blatantly biased. If he is voted to the court, he will need to step aside from virtually any liberal group case and if he don't, those rulings are tainted if they rule against the liberals 5-4.

I did mean Kavanaugh because it was referring to the conspiracy against him in the quoted post from my post.

Is it a hit perhaps. Is it a hit by liberals, I don't know but that kind of comment from a potential "unbiased" judges scares me. The way this country is going is not at all how the founding fathers wanted us to go at all and is why Washington wanted no political parties at all.
I agree with some of what you had to say. However, I also can see, as plain as the nose on my face, that this entire debacle was orchestrated by the Democrats. All the evidence is right there, staring you all in the face. There is no question that this was indeed a hit, planned by the Democrats, to stop this conservative judge from being confirmed. I'm sorry, but the writing is literally all over the wall on this one. If you can't see that this was set up and used as a backup plan to stop Kavanaugh, then you are willfully trying not to see it. Which would mean you are also ignoring the fact that these Democrats don't give a damn about Dr. Ford or her claim. They have used this for political purposes, nothing more. Once this is over, she will be forgotten. And hey, maybe if Kavanaugh isn't confirmed, the Democrats will get something to really scream about. Have fun dealing with Amy Coney Barrett.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,437,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Random Post:
I'm a Democrat. But just saw that Orrin Hatch bye-bye wave video...... Pure gold.
Talk about an imbecile

Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies