Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:06 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Read the newspaper. This caravan is a joke and made to scare. 300,000 people were caught at the border last year and now a caravan of approximately 3500-4500 people, and falling, have got the most credulous of the population having anxiety attacks.

We had a caravan in April. Remember that? What happened? It disappeared from news when its usefulness as a political ploy ended, just like this trash will end after the elections.

I do not appreciate ad hominin attacks either.
You aren't being honest at all about this caravan or the last one. Just this week ABC news reported the men outnumbered the women in this current caravan. And numbers are between 7,000-14,000 with a second group following of approx. 2,000.

The caravan back in April didn't go away, over 400 made it to the border to seek asylum and 370+ passed the fear test.

What's your point anyway? Many of us Americans want illegals to come in the right way., legally. We also want our homeless taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 02:11 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Because if they admit the truth about that, it's apparently a betrayal of some sort. It just doesn't work with their narrative.

If only they had as much compassion for Americans living on the streets, but they never argue on their behalf.

So true.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
The course of action is pretty clear. All of them get rounded up and stuck on a boat bound for Honduras. We might even do them the kindness of dropping them off right at the Guatemalan border where they can legitimately apply for asylum. It might make more sense to let Mexico process them since this little band of criminals made a run on their border and illegally invaded there. Mexico probably asks Guatemala if they want the squatters back and Guatemala will undoubtedly say, "No thank you." So back to Honduras it is no matter how you play it.

The USA can't afford to get this wrong. If you allow tens of thousands of people to just bull rush your border and get away with it, then there's going to be floods of hundreds of thousands swarming up from all over Latin America. NGO's will be right there helping them. And human trafficking, sex slavery and an underground slave market will escalate like you wouldn't believe.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:25 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Well said

It amazes me that there are those who think it's no big deal when 4500 (other sources quote even higher numbers) so-called asylum seekers will show up at the border. SMH

They mock and deride those of us who recognize the magnitude of this issue. These people thought nothing about forcing their way into Mexico. What makes them think that they will feel differently about forcing their way into the US?

If they are allowed to force their way into the US, it will only send the message to future caravans that it will be easy for them to also force their way into the country. The next caravans will be even bigger.

Every country in the world has immigration laws and expects those that want to immigrate there to obey those laws. Why should the US be any different?
It amazes me that they have no first hand knowledge of what it feels like to be living in one of those communities where these illegals are coming over the border. Towns are inundated with illegals - is my family safe? Who's going to care for these people? How long are they going to stay?

Sorry folks - even a Dem like me would raise a ruckus if my community was in their path - it's easy to be sitting behind a computer screen hundreds to thousands mile away and spouting your social justice rhetoric when you have no skin in the game.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What did I write that was a "personal attack"? Do tell.

My questions are "pathetic"? No, they're not. Just because those questions make you squirm, doesn't mean they are "pathetic".

How is it "ignorant" to ask if you would house refugees in your home? Tell all of those who actually put their money where their mouths are and take in refugees that they are "ignorant". At least these people don't just talk the talk, they also walk the walk. What about you? Are you going to walk the walk?

Anyone should be frightened if thousands of refugees show up at the border and force their way in. The potential for BP agents to get injured or killed, is enough to alarm anyone. Never mind people who are forcing their way in could get killed during a stampede.

If my questions bother you so much, you don't have to respond. No one is forcing you to do so. Go ahead and ignore the questions. That alone speaks volumes. It won't bother me in the least.

BTW, according to your link, the number of people in the caravan dipped to 4500. That is still a very concerning number. It's enough to overwhelm our BP. These people thought nothing about forcing their way into Mexico. No doubt they will think nothing of forcing their way in here.

Do you think that people who live along the border aren't worried about this?
A few points:

1. If you read my earlier posts I stated that no refugees should be allowed into the US unless they meet the requirements of US law. Therefore, your question about housing them is moot, if not, silly. See post 1425.

2.This is a group of poor men, women and children seeking escape from corrupt and violent society, They are not an army. They are not an invading force. They are poor laborers. The hyperbole by posters talking about an invasion force or overwhelming the border is just really sad and delusional.

3. My issue is that this caravan is being used to exploit the fearful. As we speak the caravan is slowly falling apart, but the rhetoric continues. I refuse to buy into this propaganda nonsense promulgated by Fox News and the Trump Administration.

4. I maintain and still do that after the mid terms all talk of "a caravan" will disappear. Trump knows how to fire up his base. Fear gets them riled up. Use some independence of thought.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Their seeking escape from their corrupt and violent society does not create an obligation on the part of the United States to allow them admission into this country or provide for them in any way. We can apply our asylum criteria if that is what they ask for, but I'll bet many will not pass the credible fear prong.
Storming a border is an entirely different matter - as they did in Mexico (thanks Mexico! - I'd cut those f#ckers off right now). Storming a border, whether you are an army or a rag tag bunch of uneducated, unskilled peasants is UNACCEPTABLE for any sovereign nation.
I support President Trump trying to get ahead of this and by EO amending the asylum seeking process to stop them there. I support sending the military to the border. I hope he is successful. What would 'you people' have us do if this group DOES storm the border??? Please, tell me. Should we just step aside and let them march right in? When we do that, we cease to be a sovereign nation. I no longer entertain the bleeding heart liberal meme of 'they are just poor people trying to escape the situation in their own countries.' I don't care what they are. Not cutting it.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:13 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Quote:
Read the newspaper. This caravan is a joke and made to scare. 300,000 people were caught at the border last year and now a caravan of approximately 3500-4500 people, and falling, have got the most credulous of the population having anxiety attacks.

We had a caravan in April. Remember that? What happened? It disappeared from news when its usefulness as a political ploy ended, just like this trash will end after the elections.

I do not appreciate ad hominin attacks either.
You don’t understand — it’s the MESSAGE that is being sent to millions in the third world — come with large organized numbers and force yourself into America — you can’t be stopped!

Last edited by mountainrose; 10-27-2018 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It amazes me that they have no first hand knowledge of what it feels like to be living in one of those communities where these illegals are coming over the border. Towns are inundated with illegals - is my family safe? Who's going to care for these people? How long are they going to stay?

Sorry folks - even a Dem like me would raise a ruckus if my community was in their path - it's easy to be sitting behind a computer screen hundreds to thousands mile away and spouting your social justice rhetoric when you have no skin in the game.
Thank you for understanding this as a democrat!

I lived for 9 years in a border state that saw a huge influx of illegals over that period. I saw two hospitals in my state near the border go bankrupt from all the illegals crossing to have free medical and births, our schools became pathetic with overcrowding and Spanish speaking kids forcing the expense of hiring so many new ESL teachers.

#My husband was mugged and robbed by two illegals while walking home from town.
#My housecleaner (a third generation Hispanic American) was gang raped by three illegals in front of her two young sons
#Almost every neighbor we had had some bad run in with illegals —home or car robbed, hit by drunk illegal driver, business and wages affected, etc etc
#One neighbor was a fourth generation mason and went out of business because he couldn’t compete with illegals low wages.

#Because our town was a sanctuary city, the police were not allowed to ask the immigration status of any criminals. So we had no records of the numbers of illegal criminals. But the vast majority of crime in our town was clearly from illegals. The police knew it, we all knew it. If we tried to expose it publicly, we were called racist, anti immigrant.
#Our schools were not allowed to ask or document how many students were here illegally. So we had no proof to use in courts or elections — except everyone saw and knew the impact they were having on our schools.

Etc etc etc

Unless you’ve lived in a community damaged by illegals, you have no idea what is really going on in this country.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Quote:
A few points:

1. If you read my earlier posts I stated that no refugees should be allowed into the US unless they meet the requirements of US law. Therefore, your question about housing them is moot, if not, silly. See post 1425.

2.This is a group of poor men, women and children seeking escape from corrupt and violent society, They are not an army. They are not an invading force. They are poor laborers. The hyperbole by posters talking about an invasion force or overwhelming the border is just really sad and delusional.

3. My issue is that this caravan is being used to exploit the fearful. As we speak the caravan is slowly falling apart, but the rhetoric continues. I refuse to buy into this propaganda nonsense promulgated by Fox News and the Trump Administration.

4. I maintain and still do that after the mid terms all talk of "a caravan" will disappear. Trump knows how to fire up his base. Fear gets them riled up. Use some independence of thought.
Don't know which news source you are following but if you google caravan - all of the major networks - not just Fox is preaching this "propaganda.

As far as poor - I can't afford to buy the Nike, Adidas and Under Armour clothing many are wearing - so if that's poor - than I'm destitute.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
People, don't worry about this caravan. All the liberals here plan to take them in, feed them, buy their Nike shoes, house them and send their children to school. It's all covered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies