Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:00 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Do you have any idea how far away these people are? Why the uproar?

And no, I don't think they will get here before the midterms.

Sure we should have a plan IF they make it the remaining huge distance.

But right now, it's a big non-issue.

Neither the Huns; nor the migrants, are at the gate.

They may easily get people to transport them up here along the way. There is no uproar just Trump having a plan in place if and when they do make it up here and no matter what that number is. Shouldn't the president have a plan in place instead of waiting till the last minute?

I don't think the midterms have anything to do with it one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Trump has whipped up a frenzy on the migrant caravan. Here are the facts.
Such caravans are nothing new and annual border crossings are not high by historic standards.

President Donald Trump’s remarks in recent days about a caravan of Central American migrants heading toward the United States have stirred up a political frenzy — in the process distorting reality and ignoring basic facts.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-881006
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I just heard on NPR that Mexico has offered asylum for the marching horde but only about 100 have taken them up on their offer of food, shelter and work. The rest are "considering" the offer and will decide when they reach Mexico City.

The way I see it is if the 7000 stop in Mexico City to take advantage of the offer then that is terrific because of course Mexico has a common culture and language but if they continue to push on to America it will be viewed that they are indeed looking for welfare handouts and to take advantage of our generosity.

If the migrants do stop how will the Democrats respond?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
A few points:

1. If you read my earlier posts I stated that no refugees should be allowed into the US unless they meet the requirements of US law. Therefore, your question about housing them is moot, if not, silly. See post 1425.

2.This is a group of poor men, women and children seeking escape from corrupt and violent society, They are not an army. They are not an invading force. They are poor laborers. The hyperbole by posters talking about an invasion force or overwhelming the border is just really sad and delusional.

3. My issue is that this caravan is being used to exploit the fearful. As we speak the caravan is slowly falling apart, but the rhetoric continues. I refuse to buy into this propaganda nonsense promulgated by Fox News and the Trump Administration.

4. I maintain and still do that after the mid terms all talk of "a caravan" will disappear. Trump knows how to fire up his base. Fear gets them riled up. Use some independence of thought.
1. How is the question of housing refugees "moot"? Are you aware that there are groups who sponsor refugees? Are you also aware that these groups help them find housing? That means that you can volunteer to open your home to a refugee family. Are you going to walk the walk and do so?

2. Yes, it is indeed an invasion when they show up at a country's border in numbers ranging in the thousands and force their way into said country. You know, like they did in Mexico. What makes you so sure that, having succeeded forcing their way into Mexico, they won't do the same when they arrive at the US?

3. Everybody should be concerned. If you lived somewhere that was destroyed by illegals, you would fully understand. We don't know anything about these people in the caravan. Stop assuming that they are all sweet and innocent plus unarmed. None of them have been vetted.

As for "fearful" --- don't you have even one bit of concern for those who man the border entries? Or how about those in the caravan? If they try to force their way into the US, BP agents could be seriously injured, even killed. Some of the so-called asylum seekers could be killed in a stampede.

You and your ilk always cry about the children being separated from the adults (I won't say "parents" because many of these children aren't with parents but are with traffickers instead). You can be sure that if there is a stampede, children will get separated.

4. This caravan is still on its way. It's naive to think that they are all walking. Photos have shown them getting rides on trucks. One so-called asylum seeker fell off a flatbed truck and was killed.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Trump has whipped up a frenzy on the migrant caravan. Here are the facts.
Such caravans are nothing new and annual border crossings are not high by historic standards.

President Donald Trump’s remarks in recent days about a caravan of Central American migrants heading toward the United States have stirred up a political frenzy — in the process distorting reality and ignoring basic facts.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-881006
Those border crossings you refer to come in dribs and drabs. There has never been a horde numbering the thousands all trying to get in at once. You see the difference, no?

No one is is being "whipped up in a frenzy". The concerns are very valid.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just heard on NPR that Mexico has offered asylum for the marching horde but only about 100 have taken them up on their offer of food, shelter and work. The rest are "considering" the offer and will decide when they reach Mexico City.

The way I see it is if the 7000 stop in Mexico City to take advantage of the offer then that is terrific because of course Mexico has a common culture and language but if they continue to push on to America it will be viewed that they are indeed looking for welfare handouts and to take advantage of our generosity.

If the migrants do stop how will the Democrats respond?

I'd like to read that if you have a link.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
I'm tired of the lies not being checked on this thread. The numbers are dwindling, not growing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...756_story.html

Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Those border crossings you refer to come in dribs and drabs. There has never been a horde numbering the thousands all trying to get in at once. You see the difference, no?

No one is is being "whipped up in a frenzy". The concerns are very valid.

They did the same thing last time. The last migrant caravan (Thousands! Beware! National Guard!) equaled about 400. Around 300 were asked for sanctuary, and like 93% of those were granted.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
They did the same thing last time. The last migrant caravan (Thousands! Beware! National Guard!) equaled about 400. Around 300 were asked for sanctuary, and like 93% of those were granted.
400 is a lot less that over one thousand. Big difference.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:50 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
I'd like to read that if you have a link.

I don't know where a link would be. I heard this on my local NPR station on their news at the top of the hour 1pm today.

If they are really seeking asylum from danger in their home country then why wouldn't they stop marching when they are offered it?

My wife that happens to be an immigrant pointed out to me that the migrants probably have family already in the country and that is why they are declining the offer of asylum by the Mexican Gov. and are choosing to continue on.

My question is still the same. If the 7000 make it into America what is going to stop the next group of 10,000- 20,000 or more from doing the same thing?

There is a right way and a wrong way to immigrate to another country and breaking down gates, sneaking in, disregarding established laws is not the way to do it.

What is the answer? Any force used against these people will be used against Trump and the GOP.

Letting them in is rewarding bad behavior and will encourage more.

My wife thinks we should be digging a pit, filling it with fuel and lighting it on fire to prevent the bum rush when the horde tries to force their way in.

She as do I believe in LEGAL immigration but ILLEGAL immigration is bad for the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies