Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:23 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
To hear what those Hondurans claim, they make it sound even worse than Mexico. Apparently, those Hondurans who have requested asylum in Mexico feel it is safer than Honduras.
Wouldn't surprise me, just the cartel is worse than anything they'll face in the US.

people coming from south of the border won't stop until their homes are safe for them. We spend trillions keeping the Middle East in line, but shovel pennies at keeping our own part of the world cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 03:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you for understanding this as a democrat!

I lived for 9 years in a border state that saw a huge influx of illegals over that period. I saw two hospitals in my state near the border go bankrupt from all the illegals crossing to have free medical and births, our schools became pathetic with overcrowding and Spanish speaking kids forcing the expense of hiring so many new ESL teachers.

#My husband was mugged and robbed by two illegals while walking home from town.
#My housecleaner (a third generation Hispanic American) was gang raped by three illegals in front of her two young sons
#Almost every neighbor we had had some bad run in with illegals —home or car robbed, hit by drunk illegal driver, business and wages affected, etc etc
#One neighbor was a fourth generation mason and went out of business because he couldn’t compete with illegals low wages.

#Because our town was a sanctuary city, the police were not allowed to ask the immigration status of any criminals. So we had no records of the numbers of illegal criminals. But the vast majority of crime in our town was clearly from illegals. The police knew it, we all knew it. If we tried to expose it publicly, we were called racist, anti immigrant.
#Our schools were not allowed to ask or document how many students were here illegally. So we had no proof to use in courts or elections — except everyone saw and knew the impact they were having on our schools.

Etc etc etc

Unless you’ve lived in a community damaged by illegals, you have no idea what is really going on in this country.
Everyone should read that twice and if it doesn't make them then they'd have to not like America and Americans.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Everyone should read that twice and if it doesn't make them then they'd have to not like America and Americans.
Sorry, but that is simply absurd. If "everyone reads it twice and doesn't get angry--they do not like America." Yeah--sure.

Possibly one of the most illogical comments made in this thread. An anonymous stranger claiming things happened, providing no evidence that any of it actually happened, and that should determine our (the other forum members') opinions on immigration.

It is faulty logic like this that brought us Trump. People believe whatever they read on the internet.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I've been sexually assaulted, had my home broken into, and my car stolen.

None of it was by anyone illegally here.

I want my share of the outrage.

If you wanted me to get wound up, I would need to see actual data on what percentage of crimes are committed by illegals versus citizens.

Data, not anecdotes. I try to make my decisions and form my opinions on facts, not emotion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2018, 03:39 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

If you wanted me to get wound up, I would need to see actual data on what percentage of crimes are committed by illegals versus citizens.

Data, not anecdotes. I try to make my decisions and form my opinions on facts, not emotion.

Their crimes are just another negative part of them being here but the bottom line that we should all focus on is that they are here illegally and it's against the law! Not dissing their crimes but I'm more disgusted about the jobs they steal from Americans and their costs to our healthcare, schools and their overall fiscal costs to the taxpayer and the overcrowded conditions they create. I don't like the dilution of our language and culture either. One crime they are all guilty of however is SS# and ID theft and tax evasion.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Trump has whipped up a frenzy on the migrant caravan. Here are the facts.
Such caravans are nothing new and annual border crossings are not high by historic standards.

President Donald Trump’s remarks in recent days about a caravan of Central American migrants heading toward the United States have stirred up a political frenzy — in the process distorting reality and ignoring basic facts.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-881006

Who's whipped into a frenzy? Because politico says so? The melodramatics by the left crack me up. Once again Trump is just making us aware of the caravan headed our way and it's larger than any others before it. He owes us his plan for dealing with it in case it remains very large. Why bring annual border crossings into this? What does that have to do with thousands crashing our border all at once?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you for understanding this as a democrat!

I lived for 9 years in a border state that saw a huge influx of illegals over that period. I saw two hospitals in my state near the border go bankrupt from all the illegals crossing to have free medical and births, our schools became pathetic with overcrowding and Spanish speaking kids forcing the expense of hiring so many new ESL teachers.

#My husband was mugged and robbed by two illegals while walking home from town.
#My housecleaner (a third generation Hispanic American) was gang raped by three illegals in front of her two young sons
#Almost every neighbor we had had some bad run in with illegals —home or car robbed, hit by drunk illegal driver, business and wages affected, etc etc
#One neighbor was a fourth generation mason and went out of business because he couldn’t compete with illegals low wages.

#Because our town was a sanctuary city, the police were not allowed to ask the immigration status of any criminals. So we had no records of the numbers of illegal criminals. But the vast majority of crime in our town was clearly from illegals. The police knew it, we all knew it. If we tried to expose it publicly, we were called racist, anti immigrant.
#Our schools were not allowed to ask or document how many students were here illegally. So we had no proof to use in courts or elections — except everyone saw and knew the impact they were having on our schools.

Etc etc etc

Unless you’ve lived in a community damaged by illegals, you have no idea what is really going on in this country.
I've lived around illegal immigrants all my life, not once have I been assaulted by them, nor have any of my friends or family members. I'm not sure where you lived where they had to hire all these ESL teachers because in California all kids are taught in english by immersion, and they are taught by english speaking teachers. There are a few bilingual schools but they are mostly charters and are optional, your english speaking kids are not automatically enrolled in them.

No schools in the US document which kids are not citizens because the Supreme Court ruled many years ago that ALL children can attend public school regardless of citizenship. Illegals are treated in hospitals under EMTALA, that's the same federal program that allows citizens without insurance to receive emergency care. In my opinion since the feds require that, they should reimburse hospitals for their expenses in treating those patients but I don't have any say in that.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:23 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's whipped into a frenzy? Because politico says so? The melodramatics by the left crack me up. Once again Trump is just making us aware of the caravan headed our way and it's larger than any others before it. He owes us his plan for dealing with it in case it remains very large. Why bring annual border crossings into this? What does that have to do with thousands crashing our border all at once?

So you think when they quote Trump, that's lying?

What does it have to do with 1000s crashing our border all at once? A lot, because that didn't happen.

Again, that's my point.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2018, 04:33 PM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:

Refreshing that you put emotion in check
This may help.
https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...criminal-alien

Old 10-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
So you think when they quote Trump, that's lying?

What does it have to do with 1000s crashing our border all at once? A lot, because that didn't happen.

Again, that's my point.

Trump said he is whipping his base into a frenzy? Huh? Crashing our border by the 1,000s is on it's way and may or may not be as large at it looks right now when it gets here but the president shouldn't prepare for it in advance in case it is very large when it gets here? Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies