Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You collectively, as in those of you that call for amnesty. Don't take it so personal.

We can't do this, we can't do that. In other words, you really don't want to end the benefits. You say you do but then you go down the line making a case for why we can't.
I said I am fine with ending the benefits but that we cannot just end them without first addressing the presence of the 11-13 million people that are already here. As pointed out, the social costs of simply stripping benefits from them without doing something to otherwise address their presence first will outweigh the benefits for the reasons I pointed out in my prior post.

Quote:
School districts can manage their own curriculum but don't have the right to federal grants and subsidies to cover them.
So school districts lose Federal grants if they offer ESL classes? How do the schools deal with legal migrants? How do schools deal with the children of illegal migrants, for that matter, who have a Constitutional right to attend the school?

Quote:
Hospitals can treat to stabilize a patient then report them to ICE if they are illegal and don't pay their bill in full. All they need to do is run their SS through eVerify. Such a proven case of using public welfare should be grounds for expedited removal.
Do you really want to discourage illegal immigrants from seeking emergent medical treatment? Did you think about the repercussions laid out in my prior post?

Quote:
An illegal that gets caught driving illegally has committed a crime which should be grounds for expedited removal. Fewer illegals would be driving without insurance in a system where getting caught doing so meant expedited removal, versus now where the police are banned from even asking about your status and the only risk they face is a ticket.
You think fewer illegals will drive without insurance if they are denied the ability to obtain a drivers' license? I think the opposite is true. Illegal immigrants who obtain a drivers license do so in order to attempt to comply with the laws concerning motor vehicle operation and are statistically far more likely to have insurance than those who drive without a license. I think allowing illegals to obtain a license and insurance is far more likely to result in their obtaining insurance than forcing them to drive illegally under a threat of deportation than they already face.

Again, we have to view these problems in light of the fact that these people are already here. I do not want an additional 5-7 million unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the road. Sounds insanely dangerous.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
As usual, their idea of "reform" is amnesty.
You mean like Ronald Reagan? Yes, that is what the Kochs and GWB and many Republican pols support.

You can call thing by any name you want......

Path to Citizenship
Earned Citizenship

Are probably more descriptive. Amnesty is that Trump threatens to give to all kinds of criminals that lie for him.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
If you make it easy for them to function in the USA while illegally in the country then you should not be surprised if more come in to take part in the gravy train. Maybe that's what you want? I don't know.

No DL for illegals, detention at hospitals might result in some unwanted deaths and some crazies driving illegally but you can say that about any law. Hey, why not make everything legal because someone will break it? Point being, it will be tougher for them to function in the USA and at some point costs will outweigh benefits and they will stop coming.

Exactly. Funny how we never succumb to this social blackmail with regards to our own citizens. Shall we allow felons to buy handguns because otherwise they will just turn to stealing them and end up as an unregistered owner?

Liberal think tried to tell us that illegals driving uninsured is a problem and the biggest obstacle is lack of driver license. Let them have driver licenses and they will get insurance. At least 12 states have done so and yet the number and percentage of uninsured drivers has increased. It has had the opposite effect because most of those newly licensed illegals go uninsured. One big reason is obviously money but another is they come from a culture that is weak on insurance. The typical Mexican or Central American does not carry private insurance on their cars, homes, possessions, life, etc.

To deal with this, California (of course) opened up their taxpayer-subsidized low costinsurance program to them. So now legal Californians get to help pay for illegals to have auto insurance.

https://www.autoinsurancecenter.com/...l-programs.htm

Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nearly all illegal aliens are criminals even if they haven't been caught and "convicted" of it yet. How do they work if not by using a fake or stolen SS number or working for cash evading taxes? Are those felonies just to be swept under the rug and then rewarded with amnesty. Huh? Americans need their jobs back. How does that happen if millions of illegal aliens are allowed to remain here?

I'm for a total package of ridding our country of illegal aliens and not rewarding any of them. E-verify, removing benefits for them, birthright citizenship for their kids and building the wall to deter more from coming here (which will include criminals and terrorists) should end illegal immigration as we know it. We'll always have some but the above will go a long ways in fixing most of the problem. Amnesty just encourages more to come here which is evidenced by the 1986 one.

Not one time in your post did I hear anything about employers who hire illegals. Americans will get their jobs back when something is done to these employers who hire illegals.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I said I am fine with ending the benefits but that we cannot just end them without first addressing the presence of the 11-13 million people that are already here. As pointed out, the social costs of simply stripping benefits from them without doing something to otherwise address their presence first will outweigh the benefits for the reasons I pointed out in my prior post.

So school districts lose Federal grants if they offer ESL classes? How do the schools deal with legal migrants? How do schools deal with the children of illegal migrants, for that matter, who have a Constitutional right to attend the school?

Do you really want to discourage illegal immigrants from seeking emergent medical treatment? Did you think about the repercussions laid out in my prior post?

You think fewer illegals will drive without insurance if they are denied the ability to obtain a drivers' license? I think the opposite is true. Illegal immigrants who obtain a drivers license do so in order to attempt to comply with the laws concerning motor vehicle operation and are statistically far more likely to have insurance than those who drive without a license. I think allowing illegals to obtain a license and insurance is far more likely to result in their obtaining insurance than forcing them to drive illegally under a threat of deportation than they already face.

Again, we have to view these problems in light of the fact that these people are already here. I do not want an additional 5-7 million unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the road. Sounds insanely dangerous.

As I said, we can talk but the action must precede the amnesty. We tried it the other way last time.

Speaking English should be a condition of legal migrancy. No ESL needed. The constitutional right to attend school doesn't mean a constitutional right to be taught in your native language.

Yes I do, if they choose to die in the streets rather than receive govt healthcare in their home country, that is on them.

Additional millions of uninsured drivers on the road is exactly what you got as a result of licensing illegals who cannot afford and do not value auto insurance.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
As I said, we can talk but the action must precede the amnesty. We tried it the other way last time.

Speaking English should be a condition of legal migrancy. No ESL needed. The constitutional right to attend school doesn't mean a constitutional right to be taught in your native language.
Do you realize that the USA does not have English as it's official language, right?

Quote:
Yes I do, if they choose to die in the streets rather than receive govt healthcare in their home country, that is on them.
The empathy gene doesn't reflect in your psyche, does it?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

The data shows otherwise. Giving licenses to illegals will have millions more driving than were driving before, only they cannot afford and do not value ainsurance.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Do you realize that the USA does not have English as it's official language, right?

The empathy gene doesn't reflect in your psyche, does it?

You do realize English is part of the citizenship requirements unless over age 50? And that English is the de facto language used in this country? In what language was the Constitution and all of our laws written?

Empathy is wonderful except when liberals want their empathy genes tied to my bank account.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
You do realize English is part of the citizenship requirements unless over age 50? And that English is the de facto language used in this country? In what language was the Constitution and all of our laws written?

Empathy is wonderful except when liberals want their empathy genes tied to my bank account.
How much annually are you shelling out?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
The data shows otherwise. Giving licenses to illegals will have millions more driving than were driving before, only they cannot afford and do not value ainsurance.
Have a link to corroborate that?

According to a recent Stanford University study, giving illegal immigrants an opportunity to obtain a driver's license improves traffic safety overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies