Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why pass it in the House if it won't pass in the Senate? What's the difference between a bill that passes one chamber and a bill that passes no chambers? Answer - nothing.

But it IS possible it wouldn't pass the House as it stands. If I'm a rep(R) and I know it would fail in the Senate, I might not expend my political capital to pass it whereas if I knew it would pass in the Senate I might not want to be the one to kill it.
To prove a point.

Trump claims it will pass the House easily and it is just the 10 votes in the Senate holding things up so he wants to make a deal.
Pelosi says -- hold on cowboy --you don't have the votes.

And if you are keeping up at all with Republican House news -- it seems they don't have the votes. They can't agree on how to fund the wall -- they being those Republicans.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...5b-wall-demand
By Wednesday evening, GOP leaders still had not settled on what vehicle they would use to fund the wall or if they would even take a vote this week to do so. Lawmakers in the House have until Dec. 21 to avert a partial government shutdown and are only scheduled to work four of those days.

So why would the Democrats bother to 'make a deal', make concessions to give Trump his funding when his own party can't agree on how to get it done.

Let the House Republicans get themselves sorted, vote & then Trump can sit Schumer down and say -- look I have the votes in the House -- let's get together on this.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I didn't realize the shutdown deadline was the 21st. Here's the thing -- that leaves 13 days before the Democrats take over the House. I don't see the Democrats caving for 13 days.........

Why did Trump wait so long.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why pass it in the House if it won't pass in the Senate? What's the difference between a bill that passes one chamber and a bill that passes no chambers? Answer - nothing.

But it IS possible it wouldn't pass the House as it stands. If I'm a rep(R) and I know it would fail in the Senate, I might not expend my political capital to pass it whereas if I knew it would pass in the Senate I might not want to be the one to kill it.
If they had the votes in the house they would pass it, don't kid yourself.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 PM

532 posts, read 446,915 times
MEXICO CITY (The Borowitz Report)—Hoping to resolve the seemingly intractable conflict over immigration, Mexico surprised the world on Thursday by agreeing to pay for Donald J. Trump’s psychiatric care.
Speaking to reporters, the Mexican President, Enrique Peña Nieto, said that he had authorized funding for the psychiatry and proclaimed, “Work on Donald Trump could begin tomorrow.”
Peña Nieto displayed several photographs showing prototypes of therapists, including a bearded Freudian analyst who he said came highly recommended.
While some Mexican taxpayers argued that a full course of psychiatric treatment could prove more costly than a border wall, Peña Nieto warned against skimping on such a necessary expense.
“When the safety and security of the world is at stake, eight hundred dollars an hour is a bargain,” he said, but added that Mexico would try to find a therapist who takes insurance.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would you care when it would still be cheaper to fund the wall than the continued expense of the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us? You'd be saving money.
Is this a figure you heard from where? Something the orange one pulled out of his pedacus?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Trump PROMISED Mexico would pay for the wall. I'm holding Trump to that promise - after all he said it a zillion times on the campaign trail.

Mexico coughs up the dough or no wall......

Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would you care when it would still be cheaper to fund the wall than the continued expense of the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us? You'd be saving money.

I certainly don't care one way or another who pays for it based on the above. The bottom line is that we need the wall for the safety and security of our citizens. You and yours have your priorities all screwed up. Your foaming at the mouth hatred of Trump blinds you to that. Has every president always kept every promise that they made? Most of the time it wasn't because they were lying but because they weren't able to fulfill their promises even though they tried. Presidents aren't dictators you know but because it's Trump you won't cut him any slack. The wall isn't going to cost you one thin dime vs the costs of illegal immigration so your lame arguments are moot!

Were you and yours just as enraged when congress passed the wall bill back in 2006? Of course you weren't but this is Trump trying to fund it and build it, so............Hypocrites!
How many times do people have to tell you that the 2006 bill was for a fence, not a massive wall? There was no wall bill in 2006. People have posted the link for the fence bill.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Trump PROMISED Mexico would pay for the wall. I'm holding Trump to that promise - after all he said it a zillion times on the campaign trail.

Mexico coughs up the dough or no wall......
Agreed

Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
If all the Mexican drug cartels pitched in, they would definitely have enough money for the wall..

Old 12-13-2018, 04:09 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
I wonder if Trump borrowed $100 million dollars from a wall building contractor with a promise that there would be a wall? That's the only reason anyone would use a bulwark in 2019 as a deterrent to immigration or border security. Can't they use a giant pain field generator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies