Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There's that mixing of legal and illegal again.
Being as it specifically talks about Texas (where they won't even do e-verify) and also low-cost labor, I think they are talking about ALL.

They do mention we need comprehensive immigration reform, something the moderates in Congress have been attempting for a decade or more.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Gonna keep reposting this until people understand what is actually happening at our border:

Quote:
The term “criminal alien” refers to aliens who have been convicted of one or more crimes, whether in the United States or abroad, prior to interdiction by the U.S. Border Patrol; it does not include convictions for conduct that is not deemed criminal by the United States. Arrests of criminal aliens are a subset of total apprehensions by U.S. Border Patrol.

6259/365 = 17.14794520547945 people a day who are criminals....

Why do people support that? And these are the ones who get caught....

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

Oh, and it's funny how people are holding this president accountable for what he said on the campaign trail but did not give crap about the last president...

I know, I know, I know...but but but Obama/Hillary.....blah blah blah BS....

Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's LEGAL immigration.

According to the Census Bureau, here's the facts on non-citizens and illegal immigrants:

63 percent of non-citizens are using a welfare program (compared to 35 for native-headed households).
70 percent for those here 10 years or more (confirming another concern that once immigrants tap into welfare, they don’t get off it.)
50 percent of non-citizens are using Medicaid (compared to 23 percent for natives).
45 percent of non-citizens are using a food program (compared to 21 percent for natives).
Non-citizens (including illegal immigrants) can receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children who are awarded U.S. citizenship and full welfare eligibility at birth.

How on earth is this POSSIBLY a net benefit? There should be NO costs incurred for illegals. Period. And that last item shows why it's critical to end birthright citizenship. Native-born Americans and LEGAL immigrants are being bled dry by criminals. It needs to stop. A wall would help that. The hypocritical Dems thought so years ago.
Bush is talking about TEXAS specifically and "low cost" labor driving wages down.....

And you think they are talking about legal? No...they clearly say we need to regulate it (immigration reform) but they are for it.

Next thing you are gonna tell us is that the Kochs (#1 GOP Funders) and the Cato Ins. aren't for open borders...then you can school us as to why Texas doesn't do e-verify.

If I have to explain fully the benefits, that means you can't possibly understand them.....

1. The employers make money
2. All the suppliers make money
3. You, the customer, get your stuff cheaper
4. The landlords and stores make money
5. MANY (most?) actually pay full taxes - which they NEVER collect.

The basics of our society is that older people are a NET DEFICIT on it, and younger working-age people are the PLUS. Just that should school you, but it won't.

To be clear I support comprehensive immigration reform and large scale guest worker programs....you know, like Reagan, McCain, GW Bush and all those other lefties.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's LEGAL immigration.

According to the Census Bureau, here's the facts on non-citizens and illegal immigrants:

63 percent of non-citizens are using a welfare program (compared to 35 for native-headed households).
70 percent for those here 10 years or more (confirming another concern that once immigrants tap into welfare, they don’t get off it.)
50 percent of non-citizens are using Medicaid (compared to 23 percent for natives).
45 percent of non-citizens are using a food program (compared to 21 percent for natives).
Non-citizens (including illegal immigrants) can receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children who are awarded U.S. citizenship and full welfare eligibility at birth.

How on earth is this POSSIBLY a net benefit? There should be NO costs incurred for illegals. Period. And that last item shows why it's critical to end birthright citizenship. Native-born Americans and LEGAL immigrants are being bled dry by criminals. It needs to stop. A wall would help that. The hypocritical Dems thought so years ago.
More CIS BS and they basically admit it here:

Quote:
While most new legal immigrants (green card holders) are barred from most welfare programs, as are illegal immigrants and temporary visitors, these provisions have only a modest impact on non-citizen household use rates because: 1) most legal immigrants have been in the country long enough to qualify; 2) the bar does not apply to all programs, nor does it always apply to non-citizen children; 3) some states provide welfare to new immigrants on their own; and, most importantly, 4) non-citizens (including illegal immigrants) can receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children who are awarded U.S. citizenship and full welfare eligibility at birth. https://cis.org/Report/63-NonCitizen...lfare-Programs
Geezus...the crap people will fall for

Old 12-13-2018, 08:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
To prove a point.

Trump claims it will pass the House easily and it is just the 10 votes in the Senate holding things up so he wants to make a deal.
Pelosi says -- hold on cowboy --you don't have the votes.

And if you are keeping up at all with Republican House news -- it seems they don't have the votes. They can't agree on how to fund the wall -- they being those Republicans.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...5b-wall-demand
By Wednesday evening, GOP leaders still had not settled on what vehicle they would use to fund the wall or if they would even take a vote this week to do so. Lawmakers in the House have until Dec. 21 to avert a partial government shutdown and are only scheduled to work four of those days.

So why would the Democrats bother to 'make a deal', make concessions to give Trump his funding when his own party can't agree on how to get it done.

Let the House Republicans get themselves sorted, vote & then Trump can sit Schumer down and say -- look I have the votes in the House -- let's get together on this.

I'm down for that. I thought I remember Trump saying to the effect that if necessary he could get the votes but whatever, point still stands.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If they had the votes in the house they would pass it, don't kid yourself.

Politics often means whether you vote for something is not always the same thing as whether you support something. I don't like it, you don't like it, it's why most people want to throw them all out.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Politics often means whether you vote for something is not always the same thing as whether you support something. I don't like it, you don't like it, it's why most people want to throw them all out.
I understand what you are saying, but if Republicans can't even figure out whether they want to vote on this wall thing, why should Trump expect democrats to jump in and save the day?

Most dems are still pretty upset about the stuff Trump has done that seems to specifically target blue states; the threat of drilling on our beaches, the SALT tax limits, his climate denials. I would not support one of my legislators doing anything just to help him out, and I doubt if you would if the shoe was on the other foot.

I didn't vote for either Bush, and I disagreed with many of their policies but I never, ever thought that they were doing things just to benefit themselves or their ego, nor did I ever feel that they were intentionally targeting democrats or implementing policies to harm blue states.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Being as it specifically talks about Texas (where they won't even do e-verify) and also low-cost labor, I think they are talking about ALL.

They do mention we need comprehensive immigration reform, something the moderates in Congress have been attempting for a decade or more.

As usual, their idea of "reform" is amnesty.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
As usual, their idea of "reform" is amnesty.
To any realist, some form of amnesty has to be in the cards. Tracking down and removing 11-13 million tax-paying consumers and laborers from the United States would not only be insanely expensive (estimated to be between $420 billion and $620 billion), it would be economically ruinous to the tune of nearly a half trillion dollars per year for the US economy. Reasonable people can disagree as to what form it takes, who it covers, and what the process will be, but "deport everyone" is not a viable solution - its a fantasy sold to people fueled by emotion who haven't thought it through in economic terms.

I am not proposing a blanket amnesty, mind you. I am just pointing out that "reform" will most certainly have to include some form of amnesty to be economically possible and desirable.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
To any realist, some form of amnesty has to be in the cards. Tracking down and removing 11-13 million tax-paying consumers and laborers from the United States would not only be insanely expensive, it would be economically ruinous. Reasonable people can disagree as to what form it takes, who it covers, and what the process will be, but "deport everyone" is not a viable solution - its a fantasy sold to people fueled by emotion who haven't thought it through.

First, you wouldn't have to remove 11 million. If you remove all the incentives and support systems we have created, and make life very difficult as an illegal, many of them would depart voluntarily.

Second, any form of amnesty is off the table for many of us until AFTER the border is secured and these benefits removed. It isn't going to be like 1986 where we agree to implement amnesty first then the secure border never materializes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies