Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times

Advertisements

Its the new norm for the deplorables. Trump lies all the time so now they look at lying as a badge of honor rather than a character flaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Let me spell it out for you, and I'll speak slowly.

Trump was responsible for the shutdown when it started.

The democrats are responsible for the shutdown continuing. They won't negotiate on things that they themselves, in the past, have said we need to do.
And they've done what they've needed to do in the past. There are fences and barriers in areas along the southern border already. What Trump wants is something that NO ONE including his own party wants to give him is a new wall which folks are saying won't work.

So this is a game of politics. Ask for something stupid, make it look like a crisis and blame the other party. Deal making is not I want it all and I want it now or else. He was approved for a few billion already for boarder security that he rejected after saying he'd approve it in the 11th hour. He is not being reasonable so the blame falls square on him. This isn't a dictatorship as much as he and you followers would like it to be.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Republicans and Democrats alike will be delighted if there is not a wall built because they know that will mean Trump's political future will be over. This compromise will get Washington back to normal and discourage anyone else from the world of entertainment from thinking they can "fix" washington.

We keep hearing about the time that Schumer and Obama supported a wall. That was 13 years ago ,over three administrations ago, how much has changed since then? Someone is living in the past.
The thing is that for a fence. Not a wall, but a fence according to Politifact. That Politifact article lists that comment as mostly false since it is a twisted up truth. In some areas of the border there is a fence, in others there are the slats (which the border agents want more so than an actual wall)I n others because it is privately owned land, there is maybe barbed wire fence and that's it or in other areas there is nothing due to the fact that they are in terrain that can't be built on.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:07 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Let me spell it out for you, and I'll speak slowly.

Trump was responsible for the shutdown when it started.

The democrats are responsible for the shutdown continuing. They won't negotiate on things that they themselves, in the past, have said we need to do.

Common sense...please stop, the haters can't comprehend it.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:13 AM

46,315 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
And they've done what they've needed to do in the past. There are fences and barriers in areas along the southern border already. What Trump wants is something that NO ONE including his own party wants to give him is a new wall which folks are saying won't work.

So this is a game of politics. Ask for something stupid, make it look like a crisis and blame the other party. Deal making is not I want it all and I want it now or else. He was approved for a few billion already for boarder security that he rejected after saying he'd approve it in the 11th hour. He is not being reasonable so the blame falls square on him. This isn't a dictatorship as much as he and you followers would like it to be.

To the bold, those ON the border say it does work.....

Quote:
The Bottom Line: Walls Work. When it comes to stopping drugs and illegal aliens from crossing our borders, border walls have proven to be extremely effective. Border security relies on a combination of border infrastructure, technology, personnel and partnerships with law enforcement at the state, local, tribal, and federal level. For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent. In San Diego, we saw on Sunday that dilapidated, decades-old barriers are not sufficient for today’s threat and need to be removed so new – up to 30 foot wall sections can be completed.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

So, we should not listen to the people who are actually on the border?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is absolutely true. He is using the issue to deflect from all the other bad news AND to have another rallying cry for next year's campaign. He is capable of thinking that far ahead when he is impacted. "I went to the mattresses for your wall." "I kept my promise and fought for the wall." etc., etc., etc. No matter the majority never wanted the wall in the first place. No matter the data doesn't support the efficacy. No matter Mexico has not and will never shell out one peso. No matter how many millions were harmed. It's always all about him.
The problem is within a moth or so this too will turn into bad news for Trump. This Friday federal workers and contractors will miss their first paycheck related to the shutdown. That means families effected will need to figure out what bills to pay for and what items they can't get. If they are forced to work, they'll need gasoline that they cannot get without credit since their bank accounts could easily overdraw. This will have effects on the economy if it lasts the months or even years like Trump confirmed he said. These federal workers cannot even get unemployment at all during a shutdown.

Then you have the tax returns. Now unless Trump forces them to go back to work similar to TSA (I have heard conflicting reports), the tax returns processing will be slowed down. The IRS will not be able to add anyone since there is no budget. Now this will effect Q2 reports and the stock market, if returns are not processed as early as spending directly related to tax returns. Expect issues with car manufacturers, and appliance makers. The stock market is already shaky so this could be the tipping point that brings about a Trump recession. We already have had people saying a market correction is due, back into the Obama second term so this isn't anything new.

I actually had to edit this post to remove the FAA since FAA inspectors are deemed non-excepted. Despite the fact the fact is that they are essential to the safety of travelers, pilots, flight attendants and others. This is truly disgusting and once again proves that "essential employees" is a frivolous term.

Last edited by mkpunk; 01-10-2019 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Common sense...please stop, the haters can't comprehend it.
common sense does not involve handing money out for something that has NO VISIBLE PLAN TO ANYONE .Would you hand out money to a contractor if he just demands it without his showing you what exactly the money would cover and what the final bill is?

DRUMFS CAN END THE HOSTAGE OF INNOCENT LIVES NOW AND BATTLE OVER THE WALL LATER.

Could it be that the Russian Mafia that he owes money to are waiting to break his legs and have given him a deadline????

IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS REALLY FOR BORDER SECURITY I HAVE GREAT LAND TO SELL YOU FOR DEVELOPMENT IN OKEFENNOKE (in the swamp)

Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold, those ON the border say it does work.....

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

So, we should not listen to the people who are actually on the border?
Oh look... a article from the DHS website... probably put there at the direction of the current administration... which means it’s probably as factual as they are...

Old 01-10-2019, 06:33 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
common sense does not involve handing money out for something that has NO VISIBLE PLAN TO ANYONE .Would you hand out money to a contractor if he just demands it without his showing you what exactly the money would cover and what the final bill is?

DRUMFS CAN END THE HOSTAGE OF INNOCENT LIVES NOW AND BATTLE OVER THE WALL LATER.

Could it be that the Russian Mafia that he owes money to are waiting to break his legs and have given him a deadline????

IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS REALLY FOR BORDER SECURITY I HAVE GREAT LAND TO SELL YOU FOR DEVELOPMENT IN OKEFENNOKE (in the swamp)

You lost me with this... LOL

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hell, now Trump is lying about his own words.

For those of you with convenient amnesia, the video and quote is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-q3KxCopM

So conservatives... is it a comprehension problem with you? Do you not understand some of the words? Or are you just dishonest?

Or are you basically saying Trump's word is garbage?..

You can spin lies, but the truth is that Donald proudly took ownership of the shutdown on December 11, 2018, and it's there for every reasonable person of sound mind to reference until the end of time. Donald is the one who took 800K workers and their families hostage to try to get his demands.
Kellyanne will hit the outlets and call it fake news .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies