Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 04:54 AM

989 posts, read 456,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If the Dems don't like it, or want to tweak it, give a counter offer. That's what you do, it's called a compromise. Seriously, come on, make a deal. It's like the Dems like illegals better than they like us citizens.
I do believe they have been countering all week. But if the counter office doesn't contain the $5.7B, Mitch McConnell is not even entertaining it. That's not compromising or negotiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 04:55 AM

989 posts, read 456,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Is this f***ing shutdown ever going to end? Are the democrats ever going to make a counteroffer?

This is absolutely ridiculous.
What would you consider a counteroffer? Whatever they have come up with all week, and I think there were 3 spending bills, they aren't being reviewed because they don't contain the $5.7B.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:58 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
What would you consider a counteroffer? Whatever they have come up with all week, and I think there were 3 spending bills, they aren't being reviewed because they don't contain the $5.7B.
Give Trump 3.33 billion for border security. And have the language specifically say "border security" and not "wall". Problem solved.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So we're back to the "It's the Democrats fault" excuse again? Time to get some new material, Kitty. All your explanations are falling flat.
It’s just as valid as “It’s Trump’s fault.” If Pelosi is so concerned about the shutdown, why won’t she compromise? Other countries protect their borders from people entering illegally. Why can’t we?

https://youtu.be/n5ig1Qy2lWA

Old 01-20-2019, 06:43 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It’s just as valid as “It’s Trump’s fault.” If Pelosi is so concerned about the shutdown, why won’t she compromise? Other countries protect their borders from people entering illegally. Why can’t we?

https://youtu.be/n5ig1Qy2lWA
Stop lying. The Democrats are offering money for border security. Just no stupid wall.

The House has passed numerous bills. McConnell is sitting on them. Why don't you tell HIM to do his job?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:18 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Stop lying. The Democrats are offering money for border security. Just no stupid wall.

The House has passed numerous bills. McConnell is sitting on them. Why don't you tell HIM to do his job?
$3.5 billion for border security and a path to citizenship for the 800,000 or so dreamers. Win win, both sides don’t get everything they want. I’m sure you could agree to this reasonable deal?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:24 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I am concerned about the DACA people, but think the billions of $$’s it will take to build that wall (many more than 5) are too great a price to pay for their status.

You forget about the other 10 million illegal aliens that are costing us over $100 billion a year. Hmm, a $25 billion wall vs the above? The DACAs don't deserve any legal status. They need to go back to their homelands along with their law breaking parents.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm a bit miffed as to why the Democrats didn't take it. He did offer more than expected, so why didn't they bite. I don't think it was an unreasonable deal at all.
Trump is the one who pulled protections for the Dreamers in the first place. He offers them again and we're supposed to be grateful? That's like him setting his own house on fire, then putting the fire out and expecting to be hailed a hero. In other words, typical Trump behavior.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Government spending is up under trump, so no idea what you’re talking about.

TLDR; but caught the jist.

People aren’t “flooding” in. The numbers have been declining for most of the last decade.

Since there are still thousands jumping our border every month yes they are still flooding in. A decline in the numbers if so is still irrelevant. When in the past did we have several caravans marching towards our border by the thousands demanding entry into our country?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
$3.5 billion for border security and a path to citizenship for the 800,000 or so dreamers. Win win, both sides don’t get everything they want. I’m sure you could agree to this reasonable deal?

Trump's not willing to give the Dreamers a path to citizenship. He is only offering a three year extension. But the point that ticks me off is that he is holding our government workers and the trickle down people they support (child care, cleaning services, restaurants workers, etc.) hostage. How is that right in anyone's book? Mitch needs to start doing his job and putting stuff that's passed in the house up for a vote in the senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies