Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Dreamers already have nothing. No protection at all. SC will overrule the lower court left wing decision, likely sometime in 2019.

This was a 3 year window, during which Capitol Hill could work towards a perm solution.

If I were a Dreamer, I'd be unhappy with Pelosi tonight.

As a conservative, I am happy Pelosi turned it down.

Happy 29th Shutdown Day. A shutdown that is just getting started, and as a limited gov fan, I am delighted it continues on, until massive additional border security measures are funded.
As a Democrat, I'm very happy Pelosi turned this down. He is offering a TEMPORARY reprieve to the Dreamers, who are already in a temporary reprieve, as the SC is not going to be taking up their case in this coming session. In return, he gets a PERMANENT wall.

He needed to offer like for like--permanent citizenship for the Dreamers--for it to be an equitable offer. Only a fool would think such a lopsided offer was something the other side would even consider. But that's what Trump is, so no big surprise there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Nothing stopping the Dems from making a first offer if that's your POV
They have. McConnell is refusing to bring it to the floor. And there has been no counteroffer from the Senate whatsoever. They're just sitting there doing nothing. The ball, as they say, is in their court now.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As a Democrat, I'm very happy Pelosi turned this down. He is offering a TEMPORARY reprieve to the Dreamers, who are already in a temporary reprieve, as the SC is not going to be taking up their case in this coming session. In return, he gets a PERMANENT wall.

He needed to offer like for like--permanent citizenship for the Dreamers--for it to be an equitable offer. Only a fool would think such a lopsided offer was something the other side would even consider. But that's what Trump is, so no big surprise there.
Yup.

Ken

Old 01-19-2019, 05:21 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When Trump was a little boy, he was never taught the meaning of "No". The little boy who's still inside, hasn't learned it, even today. Now in all his foolishness, he's put himself on the spot and the whole world will see him have to take no for an answer. It's the peak of humiliation for the spoiled brat. Even though he sits on a gilded throne (toilet), he still doesn't get his wall. With his moron followers, he's made the wall his symbol and now he will fail them. The good thing is, that for the 75% of Americans who oppose that useless wall, it's a time of rejoicing.

Then 75% of Americans are morons when the facts are out there for all of them to see. Of course there are the bleeding hearts with no brains, those who hire illegal aliens for profit and those who have ethnic ties to illegal aliens and those looking for future Democrat voters. Who gives a rat's behind what those traitors think? Useless wall? Tell that to the Border Patrol who disagree with you. Do you know better than them?

Old 01-19-2019, 05:24 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:

The so-called DREAMers are lucky to be in a temporary reprieve as they have no business being here. Never mind citizenship---we owe them absolutely nothing.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
A permanent wall requires a permanent DACA solution. Otherwise no deal.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
As a Democrat, I'm very happy Pelosi turned this down. He is offering a TEMPORARY reprieve to the Dreamers, who are already in a temporary reprieve, as the SC is not going to be taking up their case in this coming session. .
I disagree. The timing of appeals should get this to SC in 2019. A SC with 2 more fine conservative, Strict Constitutionalists.

After they rule, any talk of a Dreamer deal is gone..permanently.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Trump's version of a negotiation:

1. He creates a serious problem for the entire country.

2. He offers to make the problem he created go away, if you give him what he wants.

3. When his extortion is rejected, he blames the problem on those who won't submit to it.

He learned his business practices from the Mafia. Now, he thinks he can apply them to politics. Unfortunately, about 20% of our population also thinks our country should be run as if the Mafia was in charge. But this faction of sycophants is fragmenting and will soon disintegrate. Trump's Waterloo is nigh.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
I am glad Pelosi turned it down as this shutdown will no doubt continue far longer.

Smaller govt is better govt.t

Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am glad Pelosi turned it down as this shutdown will no doubt continue far longer.

Smaller govt is better govt.t
What smaller government?

The workers will get their back pay.

Rents will still be owed and paid.

Utilities will still be owed and paid.

Maintenance will still be owed and paid.

You're still paying for it, it's just nothings happening for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies