Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

So the posturing portion of the game is over... now comes the actual deal making as our illustrious leaders craft a "Security Bill" for the history books.

Trump will get his stupid wall and democrats will get their stupid gun control. Billions will be siphoned off to various pet projects and sweetheart deals. Billions will be totally wasted, the national debt will add yet another trillion and all the denizens of The Hill will pat themselves on the back for all their hard work done to take America one step closer to the abyss.

Damn... I'm feeling so negative that I could repel a star if I stood in it's orbit around the galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJqSAOvqjU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's called an analogy. The point is that you shouldn't get credit for "solving" a problem that was of your own making. If someone broke into your house and stole your belongings, would you give them credit for bringing them back?

I am giving him credit for finally doing the right thing. That doesn't mean I don't blame him for the shutdown and it doesn't mean I am going to go out and buy a MAGA hat. It just means that I think it's better to be a gracious "winner" than a sore "winner." I put winner in quotes because really, no one won on this. Like I said in another thread (to use an analogy) this whole thing is like a train wreck and the joy is that the passengers and crew are rescued now. Some got hurt, some will be hurt for a long time and now we have a huge mess to clean up before the next train comes around the bend (in three weeks). It's best to work together to avoid another pending wreck than to point fingers and call names.

Edit, to answer your question, yes, I would give a burglar credit for returning things. I would still press charges, but in court, I would make sure he got credit for eventually having remorse and returning my goods. Maybe he would get a lesser sentence.

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
It's great! President Trump looks very professional and kind in this situation, he did not cave to anybody. He was thinking of others (Federal Employees and troubles mounting). Fed here, worked for 35 days without pay. Still support President Trump to the end! Glad the shutdown is over. 3 weeks if those against law & order and our Sovereign Nation don't compromise then President Trump will sign the National Emergency for the Border Crisis.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Are you serious? The Dems are solidly behind Pelosi. Trump's ratings, however, are in the dumpster.

The Dems are in love with Pelosi. She speaks and acts in a much more presidential and respectful manner than Trump. Did you even listen to her answers?

She is extremely respectful to everyone. Trump is respectful to nobody. This is why people respect her.
Yea so respectful that she wanted a luxury flight out of here while the country was shutdown. She doesn't give a rip about the American people and anyone who thinks she does is a complete idiot.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM

718 posts, read 599,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's interesting that Dems look to hard right conservative publications when it tells them what they want to hear...
Let's look at the Wall Street Journal, which is a generally seen as conservative journalism nd reporting:

(for the record I can't copy and paste the entire articledue to this sites restrictions on publishing full articles)

Trump, Congress Reach Tentative Deal to Reopen Government for Three Weeks

WASHINGTON—President Trump said Friday he had reached a deal with congressional leaders to reopen the government for three weeks while negotiations over border security funding continue, marking at least a temporary concession by the president to Democrats.

Speaking in the Rose Garden, Mr. Trump said he would sign a bill to open the government until Feb. 15 and start negotiations between the House and Senate over a full-year bill funding the Homeland Security Department, which oversees the border.

“After 36 days of spirited debate and dialogue, I have seen and heard from enough Democrats and Republicans that they are willing to put partisanship aside, I think,” Mr. Trump said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-c...d=hp_lead_pos1

What part of that says that Trump caved?

-------------------------------
NOW...if you read the headlines from the New York Times:

Trump Agrees to Reopen Government for 3 Weeks in Surprise Retreat From Wall

WASHINGTON — President Trump agreed Friday to reopen the federal government for three weeks while negotiations proceeded over how to secure the nation’s southwestern border, backing down after a monthlong standoff failed to force Democrats to give him billions of dollars for his long-promised wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/u...gtype=Homepage

Clearly this is being reportedly differently...one labels this as a ongoing negotiation...another reports this as a "retreat" for Trump.
None of it.

People seem to have the need to find glee in things that have none.

In 3 weeks, we see if Pelosi and crew are people of their word, and that they will work on a compromise for all, including some type of structure/barrier where needed and overhaul of failing old walls.

The POTUS' stance on border security, I agree with, wholeheartedly. It amazes me that any citizen on the USA doesn't see that we have horrible immigration laws that need to be reworked for the benefit of all.

850 posts, read 796,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Why? I expected better from the "stable genius" who wrote "The Art of the Deal."
Soon the 'Art of the plea deal'.

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It's great! President Trump looks very professional and kind in this situation, he did not cave to anybody. He was thinking of others (Federal Employees and troubles mounting). Fed here, worked for 35 days without pay. Still support President Trump to the end! Glad the shutdown is over. 3 weeks if those against law & order and our Sovereign Nation don't compromise then President Trump will sign the National Emergency for the Border Crisis.
Which will ensure the wall is not built since it will be tied up in court challenges until after he loses in 2020 at which point the effort will be abandoned.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Random capitalization, over-the-top praise, rambling. Trump, is that you?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:24 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
All people on here are brave idiots behind a computer screen.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The scuttlebutt is that McConnell told Pence that he could no longer put up with the shutdown and that this needed to end. If it had gone on more Senate Republicans would have had to break ranks publicly with Trump's position to end the shutdown and that would have looked even worse for the POTUS.

His position was effectively untenable after the Democratic plan got more votes in the R majority Senate than Trump's plan.
Pretty much. The last thing Trump needs is to publicly lose the support of several R senators. It's quite dangerous for him.

They're teetering on the brink.

One effect of this entire fiasco could be that Trump will let McConnell school him on congressional tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies