Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Your vote is insignificant as is mine.

The fact is 95% of the things that matter are under either my control or nature's god. Democrats may tax me a bit and Republicans may mess with my SS a bit but the important things in life or basically free. Go through life educating yourself a bit and behaving in a respectable manner and you will be okay.
I basically agree with you. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "everything will be okay". Do you mean that you won't be killed? That you won't starve to death? That you won't suffer to such a degree that you want to kill yourself?

"You will survive" doesn't imply that "everything is fine" or that "the system is good".

"What is the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" - Henry David Thoreau

"Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote:
Stop worrying about things out of your control. Do worry about the things in your control.
This is good advice, and I should take it. But my brain won't let me.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Your vote is insignificant as is mine.

The fact is 95% of the things that matter are under either my control or nature's god. Democrats may tax me a bit and Republicans may mess with my SS a bit but the important things in life or basically free. Go through life educating yourself a bit and behaving in a respectable manner and you will be okay.

Stop worrying about things out of your control. Do worry about the things in your control.
Outstanding advice and almost word for word the conversation I had with my own sone about 10 years ago.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Big Trump supporter, I take it?
Only Trump types failed to read the history of the Roman Empire.

"The granting of citizenship to allies and the conquered was a vital step in the process of Romanization. This step was one of the most effective political tools and (at that point in history) original political ideas (perhaps one of the most important reasons for the success of Rome)."

"Instead of having to wait for the unavoidable revolt of a conquered people (a tribe or a city-state) like Sparta and the conquered Helots, Rome tried to make those under its rule feel that they had a stake in the system."

Although not up to our modern standards or sensibilities, Rome was - in effect - a multi-national corporation. There certainly weren't enough Romans to rule over 1.7 million square miles of land.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:20 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"The granting of citizenship to allies and the conquered was a vital step in the process of Romanization. This step was one of the most effective political tools and (at that point in history) original political ideas (perhaps one of the most important reasons for the success of Rome)."

"Instead of having to wait for the unavoidable revolt of a conquered people (a tribe or a city-state) like Sparta and the conquered Helots, Rome tried to make those under its rule feel that they had a stake in the system."

Although not up to our modern standards or sensibilities, Rome was - in effect - a multi-national corporation. There certainly weren't enough Romans to rule over 1.7 million square miles of land.
Bringing conquered peoples into the Roman Empire as citizens is definitely what allowed Rome to expand its borders, but the Roman Empire was eventually brought down by the same people they brought in.

In the late-Roman Empire, very few people were willing to fight for it. So they began hiring foreigners to be Roman soldiers. But those soldiers were just mercenaries, who came as immigrants and refugees, who had no loyalty to Rome. And were happy to turn on Rome when it became profitable.

Many of the problems in the Western Roman Empire were from falling birthrates and a declining economy, which created the circumstances which caused the need for large-scale immigration of these "barbarians" into Roman Lands. And a big surge came in as refugees from the Huns, who were rampaging across Eastern Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaric_I

The cost of the endless wars and the high-pay demanded by the mercenaries, bankrupted Rome. And yet the mercenaries kept demanding more-and-more. Eventually the Romans refused, and the barbarians sacked Rome.

Although people often discuss the Fall of the Roman Empire, insinuating that America is the New Rome, they never seem to ask the question, "Was the Fall of Rome even a bad thing?"

A lot of Romans were happy to see Rome fall, or were otherwise unwilling to lift a finger to save her. In fact, the same Rome that had at one time been able to muster a million-man Army, was defeated by only 30,000 men.

Why are we trying to save the Roman Empire? Its decadence and degeneracy needed to die. Every conservative, and especially every Christian, should pray for the Dark Ages.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Diversity Everywhere = Diversity Nowhere

Ponder that for a minute and let the truth sink in....

Old 03-17-2019, 01:36 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No. It has not. The country was perfectly fine before they felt it prudent to sign on to some illegal UN mandate that said they had to take in "refugees" or "immigrants". And crime has gone WAY UP. That is a fact.

I'm half Swedish so I follow the country a bit and I know this.

And liberals know this. But they don't care. Their destruction of Western Civilization (white culture) is all that matters.
You yourself are mixed yet you speak against mixing. Didn’t your parents erode Swedish culture by marrying a non-Swede?

Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
What motive?
Hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Once again, I couldn't care less about diversity, it is only an inevitable first step in immigrant countries, but not the goal. I mean, nature has no goals, and politics no longer has the goal of preventing mixed-race people.

Nor do I care if we all have similar hair and skin color, or brown eyes (light eyes tend to pop up again unexpectedly from time to time, anyway, if you are such a fan of blue eyes). And just like with Nigerians, there will be different shades of brown. Our faces will still be unique as every human will continue to be unique.
You do care about diversity. You have said as much in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
You yourself are mixed yet you speak against mixing. Didn’t your parents erode Swedish culture by marrying a non-Swede?
Wut?

I'm not mixed. My mother isn't Swedish, but she's white.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:17 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
So American culture is chow mein and sushi?

Wow...just wow.

Astonishing.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So American culture is chow mein and sushi?

Wow...just wow.

Astonishing.
The most popular foods on the West Coast are Mexican and Asian by far.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What did I say that wasn't factual and/or scientific? Are people getting less happy? Why?

I remember reading a comment one time that said something like, "If you asked a kid what would make him happy, he would answer something like 'Ice cream at every meal' or 'endless amounts of candy'. But let us pretend for a moment he were actually granted what he wanted, would he be happier?"

People behave in self-destructive ways in all the time in pursuit of their own happiness. And people believe all kinds of things that aren't true. Why should I care what people think? I only care about what is true.

Let me ask you then, should you be optimistic for the future?

Do you think children are better-off today than they were in the past? What will life be like 50 years from now?

I am the first to admit that the world cannot be made perfect. But these same "helicopter" parents who want to protect their children from everything. And who are terrified of even the tiniest risks. Then criticize me for daring to mention the overwhelmingly poor outcomes of single-parent families, the increased risk of abuse from step-parents and other non-related people, or the extreme risk-factors of dating outside your race(the failure-rate of white/black couplings is nearly 100%).

If these liberals were actually consistent, they would be on my side. But for political reasons, and their own selfishness, they attack me as an "evil racist".

The actual cycle of morals goes hand-in-hand with the success of a civilization. The richer the society is, the less-moral it is. And the strongest correlation for corruption, venality, and immorality, is the proportion of the people who live in cities. All cities are centers of debauchery.

The highest-degree of morality would come from a world of self-sufficient farmers.

"Those who labor in the earth are the chosen people of God, if ever he had a chosen people, whose breasts he has made his peculiar deposit for substantial and genuine virtue. It is the focus in which he keeps alive that sacred fire, which otherwise might escape from the face of the earth. Corruption of morals in the mass of cultivators is a phenomenon of which no age nor nation has furnished an example. It is the mark set on those, who not looking up to heaven, to their own soil and industry, as does the husbandman, for their subsistence, depend for it on the casualties and caprice of customers. Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. This, the natural progress and consequence of the arts, has sometimes perhaps been retarded by accidental circumstances: but, generally speaking, the proportion which the aggregate of the other classes of citizens bears in any state to that of its husbandmen, is the proportion of its unsound to its healthy parts, and is a good-enough barometer whereby to measure its degree of corruption." - Thomas Jefferson

This is a complicated issue. And while I agree with you to a degree, might it be possible that much of the supposed dangers of "anarchy" are overblown? And that "those in power" just want to scare you, since anarchy is hostile to their interests?

What would Wal-mart, Exxon, General Motors, Boeing, McDonald-Douglass, or any of the rest of them stand to gain from anarchy?

Don't you find it strange that the biggest criticism of things like "anarcho-capitalism" is that it would supposedly be completely dominated by multinational corporations, and yet corporations want absolutely nothing to do with anarcho-capitalism?

If you followed my thought process from my earlier comments, it should be obvious why I hate governments. Because in simple-terms, cities cannot exist without government. And Lady-Liberty can only breath in the countryside, among independent and moral men.

I don't think people are getting less happy. We have reached a very high standard, though, which we take for granted. So whenever something is not perfect or to our liking or merely about to change, we have the time and luxury to complain and whine.

People have not changed, some of them have always had self-destructive personalities. But the vast majority don't.

What is the point in being pessimistic? It won't change anything. To the contrary, pessimistic people tend to accept things will get worse. Optimistic people on the other hand are more likely to try and improve things.
I don't know what life will be like 50 years from now. I won't be around, that's for sure. And I don't have to know. People have children and once they do they are actually more concerned about the future of our world than singles are.

I think the US is a particular case regarding blacks in mixed-race relationships. And I think it concerns mainly black men, not black women, to the contrary. From Wiki:

"The role of gender in interracial divorce dynamics, found in social studies by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King, was highlighted when examining marital instability among Black/White unions. White wife/Black husband marriages show twice the divorce rate of White wife/White husband couples by the 10th year of marriage, whereas Black wife/White husband marriages are 44% less likely to end in divorce than White wife/White husband couples over the same period."

I also believe in agriculture, but it has a rather negative image these days. And there probably is no way back to small-scale agriculture for the masses. Most people wouldn't want to even if they could.

I don't think greedy companies would be the only problem in an anarchy, normal citizens and their innate egoism would be just as much of a problem. I don't trust humans, they need people, institutions etc. to set limits for them. Why are there so many law suits? Certainly not because there are laws, but because people are too egoistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies