Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,237,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
just imagine if a republican said slavery gave them a calming feeling because their ancestor fought in the civil war
I'm not sure that is a spot on comparison- it they put it in terms of slavery/the underground railroad that would be apt. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when their speeches phrasing meander like a drunk walking on acorns...

I did the same when Trent Lott made innocuous comments about wishing Strom Thurmond had won the Presidency/not had his only losing campaign at Thurmond's retirement party. Rs used it to force him out under the guise of him supporting segregation (Thurmond was a segregationist) when it was obvious to anyone with half a brain it was simply the type of goof thing you say a grandpa's retirement party.

Mathguy- Tlaib isn't even the worse spoken of that cadre. I am continually baffled that they are not running their speeches/sentiments by aides at this point to help them quit serving Conservatives meatball down the middle pitches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,532,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Her initial comment is poorly worded but clearly not as portrayed.

However, that's politics for you and if someone in the Trump admin had said it then we'd just have the idiots switch sides of the table.

Her claim about them being welcomed is BS.

I'd further note that even in counties without a big settlement like post ww2, non-muslims have been forced out with violence. Heck, even muslim groups of the wrong flavor have faced extreme attack and violence.

P.S. Democrats are going to force her out next election if they can.
P.P.S. Same with AOC.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Palestinian WERE supportive of Jewish when the Jewish community needed home. Their generosity has been paid back horribly: been anti-peace. I don't see anything wrong with what Tlaib said
This is completely false and is revisionist history. Arab Palestinians were not supportive of Jews, they allied with Hitler in WW2. They were on the Axis side of the war, and they did everything possible to limit and prevent the Jews fleeing the German armies. They recognized that in Hitler they found someone who supports their goal

Last edited by Gantz; 05-13-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,843,324 times
I’m sure Trump hopes she's reelected. Maybe it will give him a peaceful easy feeling.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,843,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
She said absolutely nothing wrong. As usual, Republicans take her words out of context in order to hide the anti-semitic right wing nut jobs screaming 6 million more in Arkansas.
Arkansas wants six million more people?

Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM

17,771 posts, read 7,008,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It is not a quote, it's a snippet from a quote. Read the FULL QUOTE in the OP. I don't really like her (Tlaib) either, but it's sick what people are doing to her.

I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that while I am Pro-Israel, and Pro-Israeli state, that the Palistinians in fact got a raw deal out of this. The President is purposely taking her comments and sewing hate for political gain. Don't get me wrong, she was sloppy with HOW she said it, but what she was CLEARLY saying is that it is calming to her that the Palistinians, at their own cost, helped to establish the Israeli State. Anyone with a 6th grade reading level could understand this, which probably explains why Trump and his base are getting it wrong.

To summarize: She said it poorly, and that's on her, but her message was NOT that the Holocaust gives her calm, it's that the Palistinian Response (as described in her actual, full quote) gave her calm.

Disgusting what lengths Trump and his base will go to sew hate and division. Absolutely sickening.
Funny, when the EXACT SAME THING is done by the left with a Trump "quote," you have no problem with it. Like his statement after Charlottesville.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,401,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wrong x2. the headline is not a distortion of what she said. your claim that the headline said that 'the holocaust gave her a calming feeling', however, is just such a distortion.

direct quote.
An incomplete distortion.

What she said was...

“There’s, you know, there’s a kind of a calming feeling, I always tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence, in many ways, had been wiped out. . . . I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time,” Tlaib said.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM

17,771 posts, read 7,008,149 times
I would give her the same benefit of the doubt the left gives any conservative on any topic. None.

Fortunately for her, she can spout whatever anti-Semitic tripe she wants. The anti-Semites in charge of the Democrat Party endorse it.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM

52,864 posts, read 34,721,736 times
Quote:
YES, there was!

1st: You were reposting the story, and the story was misleading.
what did you find misleading about the story? the entire quote is there.
if you feel mislead, you should probably blame tlaib's crazy convoluted speech.

Quote:
2nd: The POTUS did the same thing as you, and he was trying to sew division and hate
baloney. the president said nothing questioning tlaib's ridiculous lie that arabs welcomed/supported the formation of a jewish state. and i, on the other hand, said nothing about her 'obvious hate of jewish people.'

you're just making crap up at this point.

Quote:
3rd (and most importantly): If there was any doubt, look at the post THAT I QUOTED. I did not even realize you were OP when I quoted it, but you absolutely, in fact, and can't be denied, snipped the quote to fit your agenda that "she said....". Your OP ignored her intent, and your follow-up quote excluded it.
nah. i snipped the quote to highlight what i was arguing about - responding to this statement:

Quote:
She clearly did not say the holocaust gave her a calming feeling.
i included the entire quote IN THE VERY FIRST POST

Quote:
We are left to believe that you are either disingenuous, or incapable of understanding the entire thought.

I will repeat, I am not a fan of Tlaib, I just have to stick up here because you guys are misrepresenting her.

You FLAT OUT misrepresented her quote, whether intentional, or due to lack of comprehension, I guess only you will really ever know, but the fact remains you misrepresnted.
and i am left to believe that you are either disingenuous, or incapable of reading brief passages of text.

there's nothing about the holocaust that should give this bozo a 'calming feeling.'

Old 05-13-2019, 02:55 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,532,137 times
Does anyone on this forum actually believe that the Arabs "warmly welcomed" the Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies