Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 PM

393 posts, read 411,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Can I still self-identify?
Whenever this is passed, never, I will be first in line to self identify myself as a proud African American descendent of slaves....prove otherwise, the act of proving elsewise is in effect, racism, or some kind of ism. I can self declare myself to be anything I want.

Loser country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,481,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well then you believe that some races are inherently superior or inferior to others. That is not a new belief....and there is a term for it. You just don't want to accept the label.
I don't think its that simple. More like some people within each race are inherently superior or inferior to others within that race or even other races.

Not that they are more or less valuable or have more or less rights, but maybe they have more intelligence, more resilience, stamina, skills, talents etc.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In short, reparations are the punishment of the blameless for the benefit of the uninjured.
If you live on land that once belonged to a peoples who were forced to leave because of racism, then you indeed benefited.

maybe what you mean to say is "who did not themselves commit the crime)

Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,747,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I don't think its that simple. More like some people within each race are inherently superior or inferior to others within that race or even other races.

Not that they are more or less valuable or have more or less rights, but maybe they have more intelligence, more resilience, stamina, skills, talents etc.

Never said that there are not difference between INDIVIDUALS that can be argued as making one individual superior to another, in terms of attributes needed for socioeconomic success in our system. However, if you make that same argument concerning race.......that fits definition of a term. You can't have that belief and not fall under the definition. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Ergo, a person cannot have beliefs that one race is superior or inferior to another....and not be a racist.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 PM

22,111 posts, read 9,680,123 times
Quote:
Why don't you people just admit that you don't care how or why......you just don't want to see any attempts to reconcile the harm caused to blacks from centuries of racial oppression. That is the bottom line. You all will exhaust any and all reason why it shout NOT happen.....but the main reason is that you EMOTIONALLY don't want it to happen and you just try to find logic to justify those emotions. Thus, you come up with BS like "whites being PUNISHED"....lol. No....blacks are the ones who have been and continue to be PUNISHED by the absence of apology or reconciliation on behalf of the government that allowed and promoted centuries of racial oppression.
I maintain that welfare, section 8, SNAP and affirmative action are sufficient.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM

22,111 posts, read 9,680,123 times
Quote:
It's funny how you never hear conservatives talking about how increasing spending on prisons has NEVER resulted in reducing or solving the issue of crime, yet, you see social spending as being a failure as issues persist despite the spending. That is sort of a double standard. Sound like you are willing to spend money to punish black people, even though the punishment does not seem to change the behavior, but you are not willing to continue to spend monies to proactively help and prevent situations that lead to prison.

It does not matter "what proposals" I come share with you. You are EMOTIONALLY against the idea and will not be convinced by the LOGIC of any proposal. Logic is powerless against emotions. You feel what you feel....regardless of the logic.
I would argue that YOU are the one working on emotion and no logic.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:48 PM

19,385 posts, read 6,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I maintain that welfare, section 8, SNAP and affirmative action are sufficient.
I agree.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,780,338 times
A question for the pro-reparations gang here. How much of the reparations tab do you expect the UK, France, and Spain to cover? The US inherited many French and Spanish slaves when territories formerly held by France and Spain became part of the US. The US didn't exist until 1789, slaves in the former colonies in the period prior to 1776 being under English jurisdiction, and the interim 1776 - 1789 window being sort of a free for all as to who was in charge. Or do you expect the US taxpayers to cover what England, France, and Spain did?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM

19,385 posts, read 6,544,801 times
Quote:
Reasons...Reasons!

There are black people who have risen from slavery....and became successful. Jewish people did NOT have the experience that black people did and blacks did not have the experience that Jewish people did. Different time and circumstances. You want me to believe that Jewish people, given the exact same scenario of the black circumstance, would be BETTER than black people today. I think that if blacks had the Jewish experience, we would be in the same position as Jews. I believe if the Jewish had the black experience, they would be in the same position as blacks.

Here is the thing about Jews. You COME from within the system of whites and western civilization. You mastered that system and became renowned as "Money Lenders", which allowed your accent as a people within the system. Yes, you were persecuted and oppressed.....but not to the degree that they did not allow you to become the money lenders and control banks and financing in the Western system.

Maybe gentiles resented this and sought your persecution....but when they persecuted you they did not strip that knowledge of the western system from you. Blacks were NEVER connected to Western Civilization and how it works, prior to our persecution and oppression. We did not know how the system work and we could not simply change our names and not where a beanie so that people did not know that we were "black". Jewish people are white people who can CHOOSE to blend in or out of whiteness. To escape persecution, you can blend into whiteness by simply changing your names and not showing your religion.

That right there kills your entire argument. The black people who rose from slavery and became successful did so due to ability, motivation, discipline, and good choices.

And second, you are saying that the reason Jewish people have succeeded to a greater extent than blacks, when viewed as a whole, is because they were "oppressed less"? (That's debatable, but let's not go there.) Do they not get any credit at all for emphasizing education and delaying child-bearing until they were married and could afford them? These are wise, cultural values that can be directly correlated with success.

I suspect you harbor resentment toward Jews because they have demonstrated that people, again as a group since there are always individual variations, can be persecuted mercilessly, murdered by the millions and have their property stolen, and still rise above it in the space of a single generation to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, what-have-you, to a greater extent than average. I wonder if you would prefer that Jews have lower-than-average educational attainment and lower-than-average incomes because you could then say, "ah-ha! See! The Jews have been persecuted too and look at the result." It would lend credence to your argument.

There is absolutely no reason why black people cannot do the same (unless of course you think there is something inherently inferior about blacks), especially given the advantages of affirmative action which did not exist 60 years ago.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,193,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That right there kills your entire argument. The black people who rose from slavery and became successful did so due to ability, motivation, discipline, and good choices.

And second, you are saying that the reason Jewish people have succeeded to a greater extent than blacks, when viewed as a whole, is because they were "oppressed less"? (That's debatable, but let's not go there.) Do they not get any credit at all for emphasizing education and delaying child-bearing until they were married and could afford them? These are wise, cultural values that can be directly correlated with success.

I suspect you harbor resentment toward Jews because they have demonstrated that people, again as a group since there are always individual variations, can be persecuted mercilessly, murdered by the millions and have their property stolen, and still rise above it in the space of a single generation to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, what-have-you, to a greater extent than average. I wonder if you would prefer that Jews have lower-than-average educational attainment and lower-than-average incomes because you could then say, "ah-ha! See! The Jews have been persecuted too and look at the result." It would lend credence to your argument.

There is absolutely no reason why black people cannot do the same (unless of course you think there is something inherently inferior about blacks), especially given the advantages of affirmative action which did not exist 60 years ago.

Perhaps inherently different about blacks... Doesn't mean inferior, but specific challenges which do not exist for any others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies