Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

I don't support illegal immigration. I do support the laws that allow for asylum.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is an honest question to all people advocating for the rights of "undocumented immigrants". Why do you think they are a righteous cause?
Alexandria Ocasio Cortez already explained why liberals are for unlimited illegal immigration.

Hispanics are native American. Therefore, they have an inherent right to live anywhere in the Americas. The United States is their territory by default.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:00 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
I always try to at least understand the opinions of those I don't agree with. It has always mystified me that anybody is defending illegals as if they were a persecuted victim class. They are even getting compared to slaves or holocaust victims. WTF? How?

Why is a person who scams their way into the United States, falsifies documents and/or steals identities in order to live and work here unlawfully entitled to the rights of citizens?

This is an honest question to all people advocating for the rights of "undocumented immigrants". Why do you think they are a righteous cause?
I've struggled with this for years trying to understand what the thinking is behind it.

All of this stuff you listed is basically common sense 101 in my opinion.

It's the politician scumbags for the most part that are letting all this happen. Most people in real life that I've ever talked to about this said that immigration into the country should be controlled and regulated. We should definitely not be giving out bennies of any sorts to people that come here illegally. We should also look into the whole birthright citizenship thing, the 14th amendment I think it is. I mean talk about rolling out the welcome mat.

Again, common sense 101.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
I always try to at least understand the opinions of those I don't agree with. It has always mystified me that anybody is defending illegals as if they were a persecuted victim class. They are even getting compared to slaves or holocaust victims. WTF? How?

Why is a person who scams their way into the United States, falsifies documents and/or steals identities in order to live and work here unlawfully entitled to the rights of citizens?

The thousands of folks now in "cages" or waiting in Mexico right now are not trying to be illegal aliens or undocumented immigrants. They started their relationship with the United States by presenting themselves to border patrol agents as asylum seekers. They presented whatever paperwork they had to prove their identities and citizenship. They are doing something entirely legal, something they have a right to do under US law: applying for asylum. The current problem is NOT what you are outlining here.

Regarding those who do not go through a legal process, my grandmother was an immigrant from Norway. Having taken a ship to Canada, and traveled to the border with North Dakota, she presented herself to border patrol in a completely legal process. She was NOT applying for asylum, she just wanted to live in the US. (She was 16, and alone.) She was processed and allowed in, because back then, no paperwork was needed, no judge needed to rule, and there were not quotas for immigrants. Anyone could get in, as long as they were not sick or a criminal. It is when we stopped that process of admitting people wanting a new life that we forced people to sneak over at night, avoiding, rather than approaching the border patrol.

I think our first priority regarding immigration should be to actually pass legislation that establishes policy. How many asylum seekers will we admit each year, and from what countries. How is asylum managed?
As for economic immigration, how many will be admitted to work in the US? What about their families? There is a huge difference between criminals/terrorists getting in and regular people wanting to immigrate. How is that difference going to be handled? Somehow, we have lost the ability to establish laws governing immigration. This is not just a Trump problem. Obviously, many administrations have come up dry on this one.

The biggest problem I see right now, is that Trump has sought to paint all immigrants, whether seeking asylum or seeking a job, as dangerous, undesirable, and less than human, especially if their skin is dark. (Remember him saying that we would take people from Norway, but not sh****** countries?) THAT is what I object to. He is cruel and inhumane. He does not see the people forced to leave extreme danger in Central America a normal people, but as "the other." He ignores their desire to protect their children, and worse, he separates families and does not mind children being abused in the name of the US. He exploits people in misery by scapegoating many US problems onto them. That is why these people are being seen by many of us as victims. Because they have been victimized in their own countries, then, having turned to the US for shelter, are being victimized again. His behavior is unethical, unchristian, uncaring, and sometimes, illegal.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
The world is overpopulated by several billion. The US makes that slightly worse by destroying arable land and opposing birth control in poorer nations. Many victims of US policy seek better lives or just bare survival here. I would like to see more people come from everywhere and experience diverse cultures without travelling, but the US is as overpopulated as anywhere else. We will have our own refugee waves later heading to Canada and maybe Mexico, as Mexico becomes more tropical and the southwest US becomes abandoned desert. Shady employers still want cheap/slave labor, so they fund the propaganda of let them all in.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:26 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Why America?
FREEBIES. MONEY. LIVE GOOD AT ANOTHER'S EXPENSE. VOTE YOURSELF A LIVING - even if you're not a citizen.
'Nuff said.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:

Because they are mostly impoverished people, many who come from countries that the United States foreign policy had some factor in keeping them horribly run by strong men, con men, and highly repressive regimes.

I don't support US imperialism in central America, and I also think the government should be enforcing immigration laws regardless of the past sins. I don't want my kids getting dismembered by MS13 members because "we deserve it".

Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Entitlements need reformed. The Constitution does grant rights to non-citizens, even criminal ones. Birthright citizenship should absolutely stay. Asylum(particularly from countries we screwed up) should be granted. There should not be an evaluation of worthiness as part of the immigration process. Criminals should be prosecuted, especially those crossing illegally and bringing drugs/crime with them. Those presenting themselves for asylum are not committing a crime.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Old 07-18-2019, 03:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one has a right to illegally immigrate to our country for any reason whatsoever!
That's debatable, but what is not debatable is that no one should be treated inhumanely in this country, regardless of legal status.

Deliberately depriving people of basic human necessities, separating tiny babies from their mothers, and botching the care of children in custody is atrocious.

It's indecent, and it's unAmerican, and it's not part of the ideals of the country I love and want to see returned to sanity.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't support illegal immigration. I do support the laws that allow for asylum.
Same here.

Furthermore. Not supporting building of a stupid wall doesn't equate to supporting illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies