Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:46 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“...violent video games appear to increase aggressive thoughts and feelings, physiological arousal, and aggressive behaviors, as well as to decrease prosocial behaviors.”
http://www.craiganderson.org/wp-cont...-2004/03GA.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:13 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
A big fat NO.

I’m getting tired of hearing about politicians going after video games whenever something goes wrong. There are millions of people playing games at any given time. How many of us exhibit violent behaviour? It’s not just in the US either, politicians all over the world look at ways to scapegoat video games. It used to be Elvis and The Beatles, then came punk and heavy metal... the list goes on.

If a person exhibits violent behaviour, they will do so regardless of the media they are exposed to.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
Video games are just as popular in Europe, the UK, and Canada as they are here in America.
Yet they don't have a problem with mass shootings like they do here.
They are most popular in Japan (and they have a taste for more violent video games that what we have here, yet Japan
has one of the lowest violence rates, mass shooting rates of any country on earth.)

Psychiatrists have came out and said there is no correlation here.
They are just eager to point the finger at everywhere but the truth.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:31 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Violent video games and social media (Facebook, youtube, etx) where killers or potential killers want to use it as a way to distribute their manifesto.

guns and 2nd amend have been around for a long time (longer than anyone of us have been alive), but these mass shootings are becoming more frequent in recent times. How do you explain that?

Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
In real life there is no re-set button ...

Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Video games are just as popular in Europe, the UK, and Canada as they are here in America.
Yet they don't have a problem with mass shootings like they do here.
They are most popular in Japan (and they have a taste for more violent video games that what we have here, yet Japan
has one of the lowest violence rates, mass shooting rates of any country on earth.)

Psychiatrists have came out and said there is no correlation here.
They are just eager to point the finger at everywhere but the truth.
Ever play Grand Theft Auto ?
When your child is being raised by Playstation or Xbot it's a sad moral compass ...

Old 08-15-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Ever play Grand Theft Auto ?
When your child is being raised by Playstation or Xbot it's a sad moral compass ...

My son is grown, but when he was little he had an x-box and playstation...but was not allowed to play Grand Theft Auto
or many other games.That would just be bad parenting. We screened and decided what he could play/what we buy.
He also wasn't allowed to play them during the school year...only weekends, holidays, summer.

But Canada plays the same video games, if it is the video games why don't they have the same problems with mass shootings?
England/Ireland plays the same video games, if it is the video games why don't they have the same problems with mass shootings?
Japan plays the same video games, if it is the video games why don't they have the same problems with mass shootings?

Old 08-15-2019, 07:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My son is grown, but when he was little he had an x-box and playstation...but was not allowed to play Grand Theft Auto
or many other games.That would just be bad parenting. We screened and decided what he could play/what we buy.
He also wasn't allowed to play them during the school year...only weekends, holidays, summer.

For the video game clueless, what's Grand Theft Auto like?

You thought it was wrong for your child. Why?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:36 PM

176 posts, read 129,315 times
I drop ACME anvils on peoples heads every day when I'm not hitting someone over the head with my Guitar yelling El Kabong as a result of my exposure to violence as a child.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For the video game clueless, what's Grand Theft Auto like?

You thought it was wrong for your child. Why?

I think it is a bad choice for children of a certain age group, certainly.
My Son is grown now, it was a long time ago that I last played it.

I rented it, and only played it for a brief amount of hours, years ago, but you drive around (it had music in the background and was open world...and was suppose to have a closely mapped out version of the city....it was Miami back then...I use to live in Miami, so that part was kind of interesting to me.
I don't think it appropriate for young children, because you are encouraged to run around committing felonies such as Grand Theft Auto, you can also hail down Prostitutes, and then if you want your money back you can beat them up or kill them and take back your money.
(The game ratings suggest it for ages 18 and up)
It was probably 15 years ago that I played that version, I am not sure if current games follow the same theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies