Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

Up until this point, I'm fine with it but then it happens....

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
How is it exploitable when someone voluntarily takes the job?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
This is news? I am going with no ****.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Someone who has no other choice than to work for below average wages because they are in the country illegally thus illegal to work so they can not ask for higher wages, time off, benefits, etc. and the employer benefits from paying lower wages.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there).
Supply and demand works for a level playing field. But if you bring in an element that's illegal which cheats the playing field, then we no longer have a true supply and demand situation.

Actually - I take that back - it is still supply and demand, but a new element got thrown into the equation which lowered the base cost of the services. So that instead of $15/hr, now it's $8/hr. And if they needed more people, maybe they would move the wage to $10/hr to attract more "undocumented immigrants".

Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Voluntarily? In my former home of Colorado, large orchard owners built rows of shacks and bussed in seasonal Mexican workers. Yes the workers were there “voluntarilyâ€, and it was all perfectly legal and sanctioned, but they had little or no freedom. They were the 21st Century version of black slaves working the fields 150 years ago.

Both the left and right try to politicize this ugly situation, and both are wrong. Add to that the reality that many Latino families in the southwestern states can trace their family heritage to long before the first “white†settlers arrived. And now they’re being told by some flabby pol they don’t belong there?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I agree with you.

We are seeing this all over the country.

There aren't enough people to shuck oysters at the Chesapeake bay. Short of help on mushroom farms in Pennsylvania. Orchards in Michigan need help.

Agricultural labor doesn't pay very well and the owners need exploitable human beings to fill those jobs.

These would always be low paying jobs, even if we had enough native born people to fill them those native descendants of ours would become a (more or less) permanent or semi-permanent underclass (especially with the more common attacks on free public education). We are contracepting enough to keep that from happening. So we need to import exploitable people.

Business owners lament the loss of cheap imported labor, they will have to pay more, and we will have to pay more for their products and we will lament too. We are headed for fundamental shifts in our collective lifestyles.

I am tearing up more of my back yard for the garden this year and next year. I recently planted winter vegetables that will mature in the fall.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
What most people don’t realize is that we taxpayers subsidize the cheap labor for these businesses.
We pay for the free schooling and extra teachers for their children, we pay for any welfare benefits they use, we pay for all the immigration lawyers and beaurocrats to deal with them, plus any jail or prison time.
Immigrants send $35 billion a year out of this country as remittances to their families.
Imagine if that money stayed here and was taxed.....

Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
The logical solution is an EU-esque guest worker program that allows low skill Mexican immigrants to work in the economy legally. Why not?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,650 posts, read 16,138,284 times
admitting in no uncertain terms that its always been BS. Color me suprised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies