Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 05:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
WTH lol
Why was an amendment required to prohibit alcohol?

Why was the first federal action against marijuana a tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Because those hood rats are family members of those in Southfield. They come over, for bbq parties, to visit, maybe someone's daughter is dating one of these hoodrats.

Poverty is not an excuse. I brought up immigrants who came to this country with nothing. You can't go below 0. And while their neighborhoods maybe poor, they're not as riddled with crime and drugs as Black communities.

Hialeah is a poor poor working-class Cuban area. But it's not riddled with crime or drugs. Next door is Opa-Locka which is a poor poor working-class Black area that is riddled with both.

I get why Blacks are poorer than Whites. What I don't get is why your areas have to have so many other problems that other people avoid.

A result of being everything "other people" avoid. A lot of people don't get that though since 'immigrants who came to this country with nothing' are not the same as people forced out of the place where they were from - by their own people nonetheless - and taken to a place by other people who really did not really want or need them for anything other than servitude. Immigrants came to this country as desirables with skills and culture that mattered in the new world. Without a community consisting of skilled workers as well as other things of value that brings them to the table with the majority in power, no progress will come within that community.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Bingo!
Technically, the police can't arrest people for jeering and laughing at them. As for legislation, this is how it applies to Pennsvylvania. There are mandatory minimums in Pennsylvania. And the judge must impose it. PA ranks middle of the pack when comes to incarceration rates. Imprisonment rate of 357 imprisoned per 100,000.

Since this thread was made about Black people, I will go ahead and relay this data. While Pennsylvania's incarceration rate is lower than the national average, it has one of the highest Black/White disparities in imprisonment. Blacks in PA are 8.9 times as likely to be locked up as Whites. Pennsylvania's Black incarceration rate: 1,810 per 100,000. For Oklahoma, it's 2,625 per 100,000. In Louisiana it's 1,740 per 100,000. Mississippi's Black imprisonment is quite low, 1,052 per 100,000.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/th...set-option=SIR

Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
You hate blacks, we get it.
That is pretty much the message I've been getting from some persons here.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Technically, the police can't arrest people for jeering and laughing at them. As for legislation, this is how it applies to Pennsvylvania. There are mandatory minimums in Pennsylvania. And the judge must impose it. PA ranks middle of the pack when comes to incarceration rates. Imprisonment rate of 357 imprisoned per 100,000.

Since this thread was made about Black people, I will go ahead and relay this data. While Pennsylvania's incarceration rate is lower than the national average, it has one of the highest Black/White disparities in imprisonment. Blacks in PA are 8.9 times as likely to be locked up as Whites. Pennsylvania's Black incarceration rate: 1,810 per 100,000. For Oklahoma, it's 2,625 per 100,000. In Louisiana it's 1,740 per 100,000. Mississippi's Black imprisonment is quite low, 1,052 per 100,000.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/th...set-option=SIR
The reality is they drop charges, and plea down others ALL THE TIME to avoid trials, and get quick convictions. It is al about the conviction numbers to the DA. Therefore these hardened FELONS do little jail time, and get out to commit more violent crime.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
A result of being everything "other people" avoid. A lot of people don't get that though since 'immigrants who came to this country with nothing' are not the same as people forced out of the place where they were from - by their own people nonetheless - and taken to a place by other people who really did not really want or need them for anything other than servitude. Immigrants came to this country as desirables with skills and culture that mattered in the new world. Without a community consisting of skilled workers as well as other things of value that brings them to the table with the majority in power, no progress will come within that community.
Many Mexicans who come to this country come with no foreseeable skills except work ethic. They don't make much for themselves but they don't shoot eachother over $5 and crack.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The reality is they drop charges, and plea down others ALL THE TIME to avoid trials, and get quick convictions. It is al about the conviction numbers to the DA. Therefore these hardened FELONS do little jail time, and get out to commit more violent crime.
That might be happening. But it still doesn't explain the high rate of incarceration among Blacks in Pennsylvania.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I refuse to answer anymore questions from you if you're going to ignore the rest of my post. You have a habit of taken a small part of my post and then ignoring the rest. Here is the truth. I've never lived in a predominantly Black, inner city area. I'm the product of a Black middle class family and I spent the majority of my life in predominantly White, suburban/exurban areas. I can give you academic answers. That's all.
I read the rest of your post and I dismissed it. You were implying these problems were due to poverty and starting from 0 which I countered with my immigrant example.

Not important, you're Black, so it will be hard for you to naturally and humbly analyze these things.

Oh, you never lived in a predominantly Black inner city area? Because I have. I grew up and went to school in Detroit in the 70s/early 80s as my neighborhood transformed into a majority Black area. Now it's exclusively Black. You wouldn't want to live there. You would be better off in a KKK neighborhood in the South than there.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I read the rest of your post and I dismissed it. You were implying these problems were due to poverty and starting from 0 which I countered with my immigrant example.

Not important, you're Black, so it will be hard for you to naturally and humbly analyze these things.

Oh, you never lived in a predominantly Black inner city area? Because I have. I grew up and went to school in Detroit in the 70s/early 80s as my neighborhood transformed into a majority Black area. Now it's exclusively Black. You wouldn't want to live there. You would be better off in a KKK neighborhood in the South than there.
If you dismiss the rest of my post, why should I answer your questions? Explain why I should.

Something else. I grew up in the Atlanta area in the 1990s to 2000s. I never lived near the inner city. I was out in the suburbs and exurbs. The high school and middle school I went to were next to horse pastures. I don't know the inner city like you do. What I know about the inner city comes from what I've read and studied as a student. And what my father has told me, as he grew up in inner city Milwaukee. According to him, when the middle class, best and brightest of the Black population left, things got really bad in his neighborhood. Since I've never lived in the inner city, and would never want to, what I know comes from what I study. I don't know the ghetto the way you do. For that reason, I don't know why you're asking me the questions.

And something else. Turnabout is fair play. If you think I wouldn't' be able to have a fair assessment of crime in the Black population, then I could easily say you would not have a fair assessment in terms of racism Black people have had to deal with from the day they got here. I could, but I'll save my final decision for when you prove me right or wrong.

And something else. Funny you mention the KKK. I dealt with quite a bit of racism and bullying from many kids. A few kids threatened to hang me a few times. I got jumped in school a few times.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Many Mexicans who come to this country come with no foreseeable skills except work ethic. They don't make much for themselves but they don't shoot eachother over $5 and crack.

So what has been done with people who have no work ethic? They aren't hired, or can't keep a job. They are left where they are, shooting each other over $5 and crack. People like that don't change and deep down, their issues and experiences in life are nothing like those of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies