Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Well good luck with that. Maybe you can humor an armed burglar while you stand there in your tighty whities at 3am with a whistle and pepper spray while he has a Glock pointed in your face.

I keep a Sig 9mm next to my bed and am licensed to conceal carry. I will whenever I feel the need. I would rather have it and not need it versus the other way around.
Congratulations? Shrug, I too do not own a gun nor do I have the need or want for one. And I live in the big bad scary city, gasp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Congratulations? Shrug, I too do not own a gun nor do I have the need or want for one. And I live in the big bad scary city, gasp!
Glad you don't want or need one, hope you never do. as for me, I have one just in case. I live in a very quiet small town. One gun death in the last ten years. About three weeks ago, two addicts kicked down a family's front door and started beating the father. He was able to grab his gun and shoot both of them. Would they have hurt his wife and kids? No one knows. He was not going to take a chance.

Any kind of robbery here is very, very, rare.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
And you don't hunt. Great, more for me.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And you don't hunt. Great, more for me.
Yes, because there is a shortage of guns here.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
We DO NOT tolerate any firearms in my household. I have an excellent security system, and good insurance in the unlikely event of intruders. Outside the house, I carry pepper spray and a loud whistle as my self-protection. And I have received training in dialoguing techniques to deal with unruly strangers.
Loud whistles can really, really hurt. I find the best deterrent is to not have anything of value in the house. So never leave your gun at home.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This looks like a good place to check back in at.

One of the things I like about the skirts is being able to wear a thigh holster under a split one.

Sort of the line of thought I have when I am traveling across country and have a rifle in addition. In this nutty, unstable world of ours, I don't want to be out of home field without it, if I am calling the shots.

Admittedly, the member of the family I told was the one I was traveling with recently and despite being career Army, still saw what I was carrying as a weapon of war. I didn't tell him that the new one was another one, but I think he knew that it was.....what is a semi automatic rifle to me was a weapon of war to him.

Having such experience, how could he think so? As to why did I say at all? I suppose most of us have a need to share our lives, of what we do, with our family, yes?
You gotta lay off that crack-pipe...

Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
That's great and the best part of freedom. You do maintain the right to keep and bear arms, but are never forced to if you don't want to.

Here's the deal - we won't insist that you must keep a gun if you don't insist that we cannot keep a gun. Looks like both of us have the Constitution on our side. It's a win-win!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
All the more reason to have a gas operated AR in .45 with a brake on it. .45 raptor is a semi auto .45-70 with max loads.
I am very familiar with the 45-70. There was a conservative talk host here named Brian Suits. He was far right, and an ex-US Army Special Forces officer. The normal AR-15 was not sufficiently powerful for him; he was known to routinely carry a 45-70. This is what they use in Alaska to shoot Kodiak grizzly bears, which can get up to 2400 lbs. 10 foot tall (and can run at 30mph).

Clearly such a weapon DOES NOT BELONG ON CITY STREETS! Last I heard Brian Suits now lives in rural California with his wife and daughter, and broadcasts from LA, where he awaits the apocalypse.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:24 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
All the more reason to have a gas operated AR in .45 with a brake on it. .45 raptor is a semi auto .45-70 with max loads.
One of my biggest beefs is that 'gas operated' weapons are legal. As if we don't have enough problems with global warming due to gas powered vehicles, we have to say "fill 'er up" with our weapons now too?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
One of my biggest beefs is that 'gas operated' weapons are legal. As if we don't have enough problems with global warming due to gas powered vehicles, we have to say "fill 'er up" with our weapons now too?
Maybe because the ones with a wind-up spring don't seem to work as well?

Tell us more about your dialog training. Seriously, I'd like to learn more about this idea. Here's your chance. Change my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies