Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
If You Were In Charge What Would You Do Regarding Guns?

1. Make Constitutional Carry a reality.
2. Enforce the laws that are already on the books concerning 'gun' crime.
That's what I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Your ideas would also make guns useless if you need one for home defense.
The fairy tale that one "needs one for home defence" is just that, a narrative promoted by the NRA, and effectively it seems.

When I am home, whether in the middle of the bald assed prairie in the summer, or at my Florida condo in the winter, my door is virtually never locked unless I am away. I refuse to live in fear. My guns are all safely stored.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 AM

1,265 posts, read 444,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The fairy tale that one "needs one for home defence" is just that, a narrative promoted by the NRA, and effectively it seems.

When I am home, whether in the middle of the bald assed prairie in the summer, or at my Florida condo in the winter, my door is virtually never locked unless I am away. I refuse to live in fear. My guns are all safely stored.
First off I don't buy that you own a single firearm. Second it has zero to do with living in fear but living with a sense of security that if a thug decided to do harm to you or your family you have the ability to counter their dumb mistake.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
True. They would. And home invaders are killed all the time. A huge percentage of the time the shooter is solidly within his rights, too!

But here's the hard-to-answer question:
How many of those home invaders were armed? Rhetorical question, of course, unless someone can come up with actual answers. But my feeling is, "not many". Mostly they are unarmed and come sneaking in.
In other words, a baseball bat would have done the job perfectly well.

There are damned few "gunfights" in the home.
Under a scenario when somebody "sneaks" into your house, would you be willing to take a chance and assume that the intruder is not armed with a weapon? Keep in mind that illegal narcotics can be the weapon and a baseball bat will not stop him. In most cases, when an intruder breaks in and is confronted with an armed citizen, they would not stick around for too long and they certainly wouldn't try anything that would give them a free ride to the jail, the hospital, or morgue, unless they're stupid and/or want to get shot.

Many states, including my home state, have what's called The Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground laws that allow the homeowner or resident of the property to shoot an intruder, regardless of whether they're armed or not. If an unknown person is not supposed to be in my house and within the legal boundaries of my property, you can be sure that his intentions are not to stop in to say hi or sell me girl scout cookies.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:

Yeah, single women who lock their doors are a bunch of frightened loons living in fear. Got it.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
If they are "sneaking" into my house, they will be met with something much sufficient than a bat. Way to old to mess with someone like that. If they break into a house they are looking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Under a scenario when somebody "sneaks" into your house, would you be willing to take a chance and assume that the intruder is not armed with a weapon? Keep in mind that illegal narcotics can be the weapon and a baseball bat will not stop him. In most cases, when an intruder breaks in and is confronted with an armed citizen, they would not stick around for too long and they certainly wouldn't try anything that would give them a free ride to the jail, the hospital, or morgue, unless they're stupid and/or want to get shot.

Many states, including my home state, have what's called The Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground laws that allow the homeowner or resident of the property to shoot an intruder, regardless of whether they're armed or not. If an unknown person is not supposed to be in my house and within the legal boundaries of my property, you can be sure that his intentions are not to stop in to say hi or sell me girl scout cookies.
(Bolded) Actually, I do take that chance, don't I? My choice, though, and I'm comfortable with it.
I actually do have a gun in the house, but it is not loaded and ready to use.

Standard answers, I am sure. And both posters are within their rights in almost every state.
But how many home invaders come in armed with a gun and then shoot the homeowner? ..... Almost none, that I can find. In the great majority of cases, it was a case where a burglar is shot while breaking in, and in nearly every case the burglar is unarmed. But, yes, generally you have the right to shoot him.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:56 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:

About three weeks ago, a young man that I know had his door kicked in at 3 am. He was attacked by two intruders. He managed to get loose, grab his gun and shoot both of them. One of them died. If he had not protected his wife and little girls who knows what might have happened? It was admittedly, the first gun death in my county in the last 1o years. He was bloodied by the intruders, but at least they did not kill him before he could get his gun.
Of course, some of you would rather he died and wife and little girls be raped.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
About three weeks ago, a young man that I know had his door kicked in at 3 am. He was attacked by two intruders. He managed to get loose, grab his gun and shoot both of them. One of them died. If he had not protected his wife and little girls who knows what might have happened? It was admittedly, the first gun death in my county in the last 1o years. He was bloodied by the intruders, but at least they did not kill him before he could get his gun.
The gun-grabbers would probably have been happier if the wife was raped and family beat to death, because the mere presence of a gun is far worse.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM

1,265 posts, read 444,746 times
Quote:
Of course, some of you would rather he died and wife and little girls be raped.
Now lets use that same scenario but this time he has his gun in a safe, with a trigger lock and bullets separated from the weapon. What would have been the outcome?

Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
It took me all of literally 3 minutes to come up with that list. All gun owners claim they are "good and careful" owners, yet want to keep firearms with the magazine full, and one up the spout, "just in case".

Put the damn things in a safe or trigger lock them and keep your ammo separate. It will avoid these tragic cases, which are far, far more prevalent than a random person coming into your house at 2 AM.

You are in your car. An angry man is trying to pull you out through the window. You are using one hand to push him back while you are able to reach your gun with your other hand.

Load a round in whatever method you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies