Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The Catholic church has effectively said that even Christ made a mistake by allowing the thief to die on that horrible cross. So, I guess the promise of heaven must not exist according to the Catholic church.
So, by your logic, we should all want to die sooner in order to reach heaven, and if we'd like to live a full life, that must indicate that there is no heaven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
thats kind of a spoofing closure, personal attacks being only a no no online, but in real life, death to the perp....
Only if the personal attack is prosecuted and the perp sentenced....

Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 AM

196 posts, read 208,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
So, by your logic, we should all want to die sooner in order to reach heaven, and if we'd like to live a full life, that must indicate that there is no heaven?

if memory serves me well, the divine Catholics believe in order to seriously enter, you MUST suffer here FIRST, in fact, the more you suffer, the more qualified your card is... so cancel the death penalty if they get in the mix, they like the high tax idea on keeping scum alive, in order to prove their twisted ideals

Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM

196 posts, read 208,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Only if the personal attack is prosecuted and the perp sentenced....

high five, ....yeah, beyond a reasonable doubt is too common online

Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bronco View Post
Its easy to pass judgement and be a 3rd party backbencher, until a personal family member has it happened to and you like to see the perp boil in oil.
Not everyone comes to the same conclusion when it affects them personally. And if we all allowed that to happen, we might wind up changing quite a few laws to accommodate people's pain over crimes that affected them.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM

OP...you lose some credibility to me (not that you should weep over that...it is an internet message board) if you don't come back and discuss these issues. What was the point in starting the thread? If you truly believed in the importance of what you're arguing, why can't you defend it? Seems like trolling behavior.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,153 times
I'm glad that the US still has death penalty in some states because there are people who really don't deserve to live in a society. Like that Austrian guy who raped and imprisoned his own daughter for years, for example. Then there are killers and mass murderers like Osama Bin Laden, Timothy McVain, etc. Call me bood thirsty, but I would fry their brains in a heart beat!

I support gun control but I wouldn't abolish guns altogether. It does have its uses.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,728 times
Whatever race, whatever political bent, whatever nationality, if you're within the borders of the US, and sometimes even outside the borders of the US and perpetrate a crime against the US, whatever station in life (rich, poor; elite, common; sophisticate, redneck), to paraphrase the late Johnny Cochran: If you can't do the time (or sentence or penalty), don't do the crime.

And don't come to me for protection just because you are against gun ownership. If you think that just because you won't/can't defend yourself that the criminal will pass you by, wow, what a sucker you are!

And like someone else wrote, I really don't give a tinker's damn what anyone outside the United States thinks about our Constitution. Clean up your own backyard before you criticize someone else.

GO USA!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:47 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bronco View Post
'Proud' is not the correct way of viewing it, what I am proud about is states (like this one) that does what is morally correct and have the cojones to sentance those deserving to die to death. Putting a man/woman to death is touchy and serious matter, in case you haven't heard, murdering someone is a moral crime.(this is not to be confused/twisted as protecting your life/family fm harm, that's protection, remember, when seconds count, the police are many minutes away....). Same as rape, child predators and child beaters and all the other heinous crimes. The victims didn't ask for it, and it's sickning to think that 'well, they didn't really mean that' and dilute what really happened. Its easy to pass judgement and be a 3rd party backbencher, until a personal family member has it happened to and you like to see the perp boil in oil.
Well, the application of the death penalty is the problem I have. It is certainly biased toward minorities, especially African Americans. Numerous studies have shown that a black man is much more likely to be sentenced to death as a white man who committed a similar crime. Also, anyone who has worked in the criminal justice system knows the fundamental injustices in the system. In the Great State of Texas, I remember reading stories about defendants in death penalty cases who had lawyers sleep through trial. Even if your lawyer stays awake, if you are poor the chips are already stacked against you. You get a court appointed lawyer who is swamped with cases. And given what I know about the level of investment Texas traditionally has made in public service, I doubt they are paying those court appointed lawyers very well.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, the application of the death penalty is the problem I have. It is certainly biased toward minorities, especially African Americans. Numerous studies have shown that a black man is much more likely to be sentenced to death as a white man who committed a similar crime. Also, anyone who has worked in the criminal justice system knows the fundamental injustices in the system. In the Great State of Texas, I remember reading stories about defendants in death penalty cases who had lawyers sleep through trial. Even if your lawyer stays awake, if you are poor the chips are already stacked against you. You get a court appointed lawyer who is swamped with cases. And given what I know about the level of investment Texas traditionally has made in public service, I doubt they are paying those court appointed lawyers very well.
Where did you get your Kool Aide? The death penalty is not biased towards minorities. Prior to the very liberal Warren Supreme Court's decision to stop the old death penalty, there was possibly a bias, but since the death penalty is no longer effective, the unlawful death penalty is being administered by mostly young black men. Catch-22?

A few summers ago, there were 15 young black men shot by the Cincinnati Police. This created an out rage by all the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton's, so Cincy pulled the cops out of the area, and within a month 75 shootings had taken place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies