Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by oz in SC
Quote:
Using this fact,one would surmise that if NOT wealthy the violent criminals would be......poor perhaps???
Right, are you saying that in all history there simply never were any wealthy serial killers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by oz in SC Right, are you saying that in all history there simply never were any wealthy serial killers?
No.

Are you saying that in all history EVERY violent criminal was wealthy?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that in all history EVERY violent criminal was wealthy?
Nope.
And I never suggested it either.
But you claim that poor people are more prone to end up in prison.
Could it also not be because poor people cannot pay a good lawyer?
That poor people generally end up in prison not because they committed a crime, but because they could not pay for adequate legal representation.
It would then be plausible to believe that the rich would want the poor to stay poor, so they can commit more crimes and get away with it.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Are you saying that in all of history, NO poor people have EVER had a decent lawyer?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that in all of history, NO poor people have EVER had a decent lawyer?
I'm saying that most poor people couldn't afford a decent lawyer.
So whenever justice becomes dependent on money, the legal system often becomes a travesty.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Are you now saying, that EVERY wealthy person charged with a crime, had a decent lawyer?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Are you now saying, that EVERY wealthy person charged with a crime, had a decent lawyer?
Are you saying that a wealthy person cannot afford himself a decent lawyer?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
I have a question to those that are anti-death penalty:

What if YOU and/or YOUR FAMILY were the victims of a heinous crime? Would you reconsider the death penalty?

If someone hurts my wife and or child, I don't want to get the courts involved. I would like to administer the punishment myself. In a perfect world, the individuals who were the victims of the crime should determine the punishment instead of some activist judge/lawyer/citizen. A crime committed against my family in North Carolina has no effect on the citizens of South Carolina, New York, California, etc... Why should they determine the punishment then? I don't care what some judge says or thinks about the criminal in my case. My family is more important to me than your views on the law. The judges and lawyers will go home to their nice houses while the victims of the crimes have to live a life of sadness forever.

Rapists, murderers, and pedophiles all should get the death penalty. The one argument I have against them is that they wouldn't be allowed to "suffer" enough if they get executed as opposed to going to jail.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by theroc5156
Quote:
What if YOU and/or YOUR FAMILY were the victims of a heinous crime? Would you reconsider the death penalty?
In my case it has nothing to do with being in pain or wanting revenge.
The fact is that serial predators generally have been victims themselves, so every time a serial predator victimizes someone there is a chance that this victim will also become a serial predator.
So to me not creating anymore victims is paramount and the only way to ensure that predators do not make any more victims is by exterminating them.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
This is a completely irrational way to conduct policy.

Imagine if we based our war policy on the emotions, even justified emotions, of those effected? That would be crazy. We would be in a constant state of war.

But perhaps that is what you lot actually advocate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies