Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,080,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Does the fact that they call themselves Christians make them more culpable?
No it just seems like wherever we turn its some Christian organization abusing children.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:05 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,080,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have a good friend who is Episcopalian and I do not deny their Christianity, but there are huge docrtrinal differences between my beliefs and theirs. I have a far greater problem though with UCC and especially MCC. Those churches are the kind Christ warned about in Revelation.
All I said was "Christians." You're the one who seems to want to claim different qualities of Christians. Do we grade them as "A" "B" or "C" sects?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,328,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Marriage is a privilege given to heterosexuals. Heterosexuals are responsible for the family unit and providing the youth of the future. Why can they not have a benefit for that?
Why do they need a benefit for that? If they’re going to do it anyway, why are tax credits and society set up to benefit something that’s going to happen anyway.
I say remove all government benefits from all unions.
What makes people who procreate special? Any animal can do what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well there you have it! Sorry , the government dictates a lot of things, it says we cant murder people, does that infringe on murder's rights? says we cant sell drugs to minors, does that mean the drug dealers rights are being violated? It is not an equality issue, you choose to do something different than everyone else, so you want the law to be changed for you, its that simple, but no one has taken anything away from you anymore than they have someone who wants 3 wives, to marry their mom, or their dog, you made the decision that you would not marry by full well knowing, that two lesbians could not get married. Hey , look that one chick Anne Heche or what ever her name is , she was a Lesbian, then when she decided that being married was more important she went out found herself a man, magicly she all of a sudden had the same right as everyone else!
You’re equating people who love each other with murderers and drug dealers now.
Silas, you’ve made this same argument in many threads and it didn’t fly, why do you think it will now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Of course you do! What about the guy that wants to legally marry his sister, just like his brother in law can legally marry his sister! equal rights! Sounds pretty stupid doesnt it?
Silas, you keep dragging absurdities into this. Just so you’re clear, here’s a link to the definition of incest: Incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Quote:
Full marriage is giving a big middle finger to God and Christianity. That is the ultimate goal of the homosexual community. If it wasn't, they would gladly accept civil unions.
Keep your religion and religious laws out of my life. Believe and act on what you want but your god thing shouldn’t affect me. I don’t believe in it, and with the hatred and intolerance directed by the adherents to christianity, I never will. What an excuse to spew hatred.

Quote:
MCC and UCC don't count because they are non-traditionalist churches in that their doctrine is centered around denying the passages of scripture describing homosexuality as immoral. Anglican is the only major denomination I know of that is OK with it.
Religious bigotry within the religious community. My religious belief is better than your religious belief, because, well, because I’m right and you’re wrong.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,960 times
Default Yay for California!

Question: Aside from the religion/biblical aspect of gay marriage, why are people against gay marriage? I have a friend who is not religious but can't stand the gays. I was appalled when I found out but she can't give me an answer except for "it's disgusting."

Also, Christians say, "even nature will tell you it's wrong". Uh, I see male dogs humping male dogs. They don't care as long as it feels good.

I do NOT think we have ANY right whatsoever to tell two human beings who are of age that they should not marry.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Because it threatens the moral fabric that holds society together. No matter what this day and age might like to think, "society" is held together, ultimately, by shared moral values. Laws simply reflect such.
And the laws are changing to reflect societal changes. What is immoral about two people loving each other?

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Variation in divorce rates by religion:
Religion % have been divorced
Jews 30%
Born-again Christians 27%
Other Christians 24%
Atheists, Agnostics 21%

Quote:
Is there anything "threatening" in your opinion, as to polygomy in relation to society?
To me, nothing. IF it’s an act among consenting adults, not children.
These are two different issues, although I’m sure you understand that.

Evaluate gay marriage on its own merits, please.
Quote:
I do and I have. I find it lacking in everything from dawn to dark. It isn't natural, and historically, all societies have shunned it in the sense of recognizing it on the same plane as man and woman, in just about every way possible.
It’s not natural to you, personally. Historically, all societies have not shunned it. The Greek and Roman societies accepted it completely on a historic focus; European and Canadian cultures accept it as well. It’s even been accepted in the US when two women have lived together for years. The dark ages of Christianity forced a ban. Are you saying the Michelangelo and other great artists of the renaissance were shunned?

Quote:
This country was largely founded on Judeo/Christian morals/ethics/belief. So let's not go there. The evidence is self-evident.
Dispelled several times already; slavery and the ban on inter-racial marriages has been banned. No one is hanging black men for looking at a white woman any more. Do you think that the societal change in that respect is shameful?

US society is changing, there are greater numbers of people who do not follow the “judeo/christian” model. Are you saying that all of these people are immoral? Interesting viewpoint, albeit a bit condescending. I guess your christian hatred and fear is showing.

If so, why impose your Christian standards on others when others are seeking to do something that is entirely victimless?
Quote:
See above on Christianity (which, by the way, I absolutely DO NOT seek to impose on others...I just note it when applicable!) Anyway, it is not victimless. Taxpayers pay the price of homosexual promiscuity. It is a matter of record that homosexual men are far and away the most likely to have numerous partners and etc, etc. Everybody know that. And no matter how CNN and the NYT try to censor it, the so-called "gay days" or "parades" are sick with the public displays of perversion and filth for no other reason than to rub it in others faces. And AIDS is rampant for that very reason. Bottom line is, it is NOT victimless....
Of course you do. You base your morality on your religious beliefs, so you judge others through your religion. You bring religion into the mix.

You might want to research some of your comments before you post them.
AIDS is not a “gay” disease. The first person I knew who died from AIDS was my straight brother-in-law who got it from IV use.

Worldwide HIV & AIDS Statistics Commentary Globally, around 11% of HIV infections are among babies who acquire the virus from their mothers; 10% result from injecting drug use; 5-10% are due to sex between men; and 5-10% occur in healthcare settings. Sex between men and women accounts for the remaining proportion – around two thirds of new infections.

Is Canada not a coherent society? Is Spain not a coherent society? How have they changed after legalizing gay marriage?
Quote:
I dont know, are they? I don't know about Spain, but Canada's existence depends on the fact the United States will militarily protect them. Otherwise, would it be worth it, a crack regiment of the Werhmacht could wipe out Canada in a heartbeat. As it is, taxes are so high as to be obscene, and there is no concept of true freedom anymore. No, Canada is not a coherent society...it simply exists.
What does your comment about the US military have to do with Canada and it’s acceptance of homosexuality and human rights for all. You’re deflection and lack of knowledge is quite evident, even with the smokescreen.

[u] How would legal same-sex marriage degrade opposite-sex marriage? [/i]
Quote:
Because if all things are equal, then none has value. A sanctioning of the one man/woman union is natural and good and right.
There is nothing that would support your claim except for your personal viewpoint. Blacks and Whites are now equal (ha, if only)… I suppose you want to go back to the separate but equal policy in the US.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,283,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
All I said was "Christians." You're the one who seems to want to claim different qualities of Christians. Do we grade them as "A" "B" or "C" sects?
A lot of people claim to be "Christians." Hitler, the KKK, and Westboro all claim Christianity when even the most basic study of scripture reveals they are far from it. There are some churches that are just as extreme on the opposite end of the spectrum. Extremism doesn't always have to be conservative.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM

bchris, you claim to be a christian, too. With the hatred and intolerance you spew, I think you're extreme and are not a true christian, no matter what you claim.

What's the difference between the comment I just made and the one you made?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,283,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
Also, Christians say, "even nature will tell you it's wrong". Uh, I see male dogs humping male dogs. They don't care as long as it feels good.
Ok...so as long as it feels good its ok? That 1960s line of thought is exactly why America is in the moral crisis she is in today.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Yeah, the desire for women to be able to work and equal pay for equal work sure did kill America.

What is it about equality that bugs you so much?
Do you really have that big an inferiority complex that you want everyone to be less than you?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:17 PM

9,897 posts, read 10,846,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
There are Christian churches ready and willing to marry gays as soon as its legal.
Yeah right , Grooms family on the right and the grooms family on the left. you might get some of the liberal church's marrying homo's but you are not going to see actual Bible believing Christian Churchs holding wedding's for homosexuals! Unless the state of California decides to force them,of course, wouldnt' that be interesting, in that case there would be a mass exodus of the faithfull,unlike anything ever seen in this country. Everyone else might want to be sure their natural disaster insurance is paid up!

Last edited by silas777; 05-17-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies