Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
A fetus cannot be a person just because it doesn't feel pain?
IF they also can't feel emotional pain, then that's correct. That's one of, if not the, benchmark for personhood in a morally relevant sense.

A self-aware w/o capacity to feel pain (emotional and physical) = a sci-fi type robot. If the entity can't feel pain, even with intelligence, then it's death can never be painful (even emotionally but physically too) - at least for that person. Others may have a very strong interest in keeping them alive, though.

Quote:
There are born people who have congenital insensitivity to pain (CIP), who cannot feel pain. Sad that you want them killed, too, since you do not consider them persons.
If they cannot feel emotional pain either, then it cannot matter to them if they live or die. To others, yes, I admit that they do have great (if incomplete) say-so about that person's personhood. But isn't that what pro-choice allowed anyway?

Last edited by Phil75230; 06-25-2022 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2022, 01:17 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,270 times
All you mixed couples better buckle up, because apparently they’re gonna try to come after your right to marry each other.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:18 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But why do you have the right to have marriage when the vast majority of people in your country don't agree that you should have that right? Oh and they pay taxes too?
this was a year ago......

Gallup
Record-High 70% in U.S. Support Same-Sex Marriage

https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/...-marriage.aspx

=========

this was this month.....

Gallup
Record number of Americans back same-sex marriage, poll finds

https://ctmirror.org/2022/06/05/reco...ge-poll-finds/

Old 06-25-2022, 01:19 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
The vast majority of people in this country do believe I have the right to marriage? Where have you been, like 7 in 10 Americans believe I do. .
Well if that is true (which it isn't) you have nothing to worry about, not only will every state in the union make it legal but their will be a constitutional amendment.

So what is the problem then?

Old 06-25-2022, 01:20 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and?......what is your point?

that is what the supremes ruled....and they are right

the libs won....they got their way on this one

libs have been saying a fetus is not viable...a abortion is no different than any other surgery

...and the supremes ruled in their favor....the supremes have no jurisdiction over a surgery
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Life begins at conception. You don't believe in science, or the bible either?

I already replied to this, but I don't see my reply anywhere, so not sure what happened.

"Life" is the word we choose to describe a process that begins at what we call "conception" (ie, fusing of biologic structures that we call egg and sperm). Life of a fish and chicken also begins at conception, yet we do not refer to killing (and eating) a fish or chicken as murder. So, murder is not equal to ending a life, but ending a life of a person. When does a human organism become a person - and what is a person? I think a person is a human organism that is aware of itself. When does that awareness start? I don't know with certainty, but I don't recall that I had an awareness of myself when I was a first-trimester fetus, and I do not have a reason to think that a human fetus has any awareness of itself until late in the pregnancy. At the early stages of fetal development, biologic behavior of a human fetus seems to me exactly equally self-unaware as that of any other type of mamallian fetus at the same stage of development.

I certainly do not "believe in" science, but I do believe solid logical arguments that constitute any reliable science. Science is just a tool. I do not believe in scissors, I do not worship them, but they logically seem like a good tool for cutting paper, and in my experience they usually are :-). Same with science: scientific methods are useful tools for examining whether something happens probably always, or usually, or rarely or probably never. I don't believe anything else about science.

I believe that a large number of people, in the remote past, contributed to writing the Bible at their level of understanding of the world, and I find the Bible interesting to read. In the absence of definitely knowing whether some or all Biblical events happened, I believe they may or may not have. Based on experience, I think some of what is described in the Bible would be very likely, and some of it very unlikely, or somewhere in between. That is all that science can say too: based on experience, it can give you probability of certain events in general, including in the future.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
There are no words to describe what a huge gift this is for Democrats. Biden had been on object failure in many ways but now Democrats have something to at least vote against. Outside the deepest red states this will kill GOP candidates in swing districts. If they only were banning late term abortion... it would be minor deal. But some states will even ban birth control and condoms then go after gay marriage. Some GOP senators are tweeting about repealing every progressive SC ruling back to the 1800s.

As frustrated as I am with the woke nonsense I now plan on voting D in everything but local school board elections. Even my religious right wife is upset as things like tubal pregnancy surgery would be banned. She took birth control despite not being sexually active from high school to late 20s due to issues with periods and hormonal balance.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
“… left up to your state” .. which will take away your right to choose.
If GOP got control of White House, Senate, House, and maintained SC 100% they would pass legislation banning abortion, birth control, and gay marriage in every state. People only go for State's Rights when there is no chance and advancing something nationwide.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:23 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I believe that a lot of women are just finding out about their state's abortion restrictions because it is all over the news right now.
If people disagree with abortion restrictions, then they will vote for state representatives who will remove those restrictions.

So, the problem should correct itself in due time, right?

Old 06-25-2022, 01:24 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
Quote:
Well if that is true (which it isn't) you have nothing to worry about, not only will every state in the union make it legal but their will be a constitutional amendment.

So what is the problem then?
I would guess your figures......

Quote:
But why do you have the right to have marriage when the vast majority of people in your country don't agree that you should have that right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
this was a year ago......

Gallup
Record-High 70% in U.S. Support Same-Sex Marriage

https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/...-marriage.aspx

=========

this was this month.....

Gallup
Record number of Americans back same-sex marriage, poll finds

https://ctmirror.org/2022/06/05/reco...ge-poll-finds/

Old 06-25-2022, 01:28 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are no words to describe what a huge gift this is for Democrats. Biden had been on object failure in many ways but now Democrats have something to at least vote against. Outside the deepest red states this will kill GOP candidates in swing districts. If they only were banning late term abortion... it would be minor deal. But some states will even ban birth control and condoms then go after gay marriage. Some GOP senators are tweeting about repealing every progressive SC ruling back to the 1800s.

As frustrated as I am with the woke nonsense I now plan on voting D in everything but local school board elections. Even my religious right wife is upset as things like tubal pregnancy surgery would be banned. She took birth control despite not being sexually active from high school to late 20s due to issues with periods and hormonal balance.
I think you are on to something here.

Even my far right friends think the government has "no damn business" in the doctor's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies