Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 11:51 AM

27,643 posts, read 28,738,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Who is "we?" You have influence over 50 state legislatures to ensure these exceptions are legal?
You live in a state where abortion will remain legal and protected, apparently all the way until the time of birth.

Are you worried about what will happen to abortion access in other states?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:53 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
abortion is a medical procedure....no different than pulling a tooth...or heart surgery

...that's what they libs have said

the court ruled that the court does not have the power over a medical procedure....that is another definition of dictate
No, dictate equals mandate. Something that is dictated is something that is mandatory. Dictating abortion (or any other medical procedure) equals making abortion (or any other procedure) mandatory. Another definition of a dictator is not someone who "does not have a power over" certain things :-).

Btw, I am not particularly crazy liberal, I am a moderate centrist, but I do not think laws should tell people what to do with parts of their own body. The Supreme Court has ruled that it had no legal basis to legislate abortion, fine. But how does then ANY court (eg, a state court) have any basis to legislate abortion?

In order to demonstrate that "the court has no power over a medical procedure" state legislations whould have to say the same as the Supreme court: that they have no legal basis to legislate abortion or any other medical procedure. But that is certainly NOT what state legislations are saying.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 AM

28,969 posts, read 30,320,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Outside of the very rare less that 1% of abortions where a woman is actually raped, no one forced the woman to have sex.

Having sex can easily result in a pregnancy which results in expense.

Buying a car or going on vacation can easily result in an expense either up front or over time.

Both are personal choices with a financial cost. If you choose to have sex, be prepared for the cost. It was your choice. Don't make other pay the price for your choice. Not the unborn baby or other tax payers. You and your partner. That's it.
this

Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

The idea that a newborn is "biologically independent" is just so much horse hooey.

It is at least a year before they can even feed themselves.
A liveborn baby does not need to be a part of somebody else's body in order to feed or othetwise survive.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:58 AM

43,234 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Power went back to the states. Live with it and now your state can decided for itself how far it wants to go with abortion.
The residents will get a say.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:59 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, dictate equals mandate. Something that is dictated is something that is mandatory. Dictating abortion (or any other medical procedure) equals making abortion (or any other procedure) mandatory. Another definition of a dictator is not someone who "does not have a power over" certain things :-).

Btw, I am not particularly crazy liberal, I am a moderate centrist, but I do not think laws should tell people what to do with parts of their own body. The Supreme Court has ruled that it had no legal basis to legislate abortion, fine. But how does then ANY court (eg, a state court) have any basis to legislate abortion?

In order to demonstrate that "the court has no power over a medical procedure" state legislations whould have to say the same as the Supreme court: that they have no legal basis to legislate abortion or any other medical procedure. But that is certainly NOT what state legislations are saying.
SCOTUS says it is "states rights" which means each state can make a decision.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:01 PM

43,234 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

The law is in place for government sanctioned intentional death. This way it's not murder; it's abortion.

Plain and simple.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:07 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Again it should be noted, Dobbs and NY Gun case were both made possible by Harry Reid.

He traded away the judicial filibuster rule --requiring 60 votes for confirmation -- for a handful of appeals court judges.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:11 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,268,345 times
Leaking the decision ahead of time gave people plenty of time to prepare their plans to protest and figure out how to take as much advantage of the situation as possible. I sure this will be a get out the vote call to action for liberals.

Aside from the tantrums taking place - life should proceed forth.

If people want abortion so bad - take the normal course of action and legislate for it. Tell everyone why babies should be killed in the womb.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The law is in place for government sanctioned intentional death. This way it's not murder; it's abortion.

Plain and simple.
It is not plain and simple at all. Murder is killing of a person, and there is no uniform belief that a human fetus 3 months after conception is a person. When does an organism with human chromosomes become a person? There is no plain or simple agreement about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.